Gruff

Olympics

Recommended Posts

The thing is with the Olympics is, you end up watching any old thing and you come up with some memorable gems.

So yesterday I caught the 45 year old woman gymnast from Uzbekistan (sp?) other 8th and final Olympics. 45 years old??? and sailing off that one (vault?) where you sprint up to it and then flip off multiple times, like a young whipper snapper.

Then I caught the Netherlands cyclist celebrating winning the Road cycle race....except the real winner (an Austrian) had finished 2 minutes earlier. Jubilation quickly turned to tears.

Then I had the misfortune to watch our NZ goalkeeper look like he wouldn't get a game for a social team, down at the local park. Not one f..k up , but three howlers.

Finally I saw that young swimming chick turn up and swim a new PB and NZ record. The look on her face when she realised what she'd done was priceless.

It's all great. And this morning a bronze in Triathlon - except I missed that - got to work some of the time.!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free to air is pretty uninspiring.    Most of commentators are foreigners (to NZ) and concentrate on their nations competitors (as you would expect them to).    Surely we have people who could do the job from the studio without concentrating on their own - mens triathlon prime example.    Sure they knowledgible at the sport but  their bias not really required.      Incidentally, the camera work at the triathlon was vastly superior to many of the other sports.      And my other gripe is the incessant insertion of maori words - yes I know it's PC and all that shit but is it really necessary.      I dont understand much of what they saying anyway and it just makes for jerky commentariies - especially from those hosts who either delight in being PC or emphasise these words instead of letting them flow naturally.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eljay said:

Free to air is pretty uninspiring.    Most of commentators are foreigners (to NZ) and concentrate on their nations competitors (as you would expect them to).    Surely we have people who could do the job from the studio without concentrating on their own - mens triathlon prime example.    Sure they knowledgible at the sport but  their bias not really required.      Incidentally, the camera work at the triathlon was vastly superior to many of the other sports.      And my other gripe is the incessant insertion of maori words - yes I know it's PC and all that shit but is it really necessary.      I dont understand much of what they saying anyway and it just makes for jerky commentariies - especially from those hosts who either delight in being PC or emphasise these words instead of letting them flow naturally.     

Just gotta bust out on Sky  TV  for the Olympics eljay !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pommie commentators everywhere.      God they are a pain.      But it's good t know the Poms have the best athletes in the world - even if they never win!

Covids a pain too - mumbling through masks.   Can't understand a lot of them.   Surely they could drop them down for 30 second interviews. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, eljay said:

Pommie commentators everywhere.      God they are a pain.      But it's good t know the Poms have the best athletes in the world - even if they never win!

Covids a pain too - mumbling through masks.   Can't understand a lot of them.   Surely they could drop them down for 30 second interviews. 

They may as well they are useless as Tits¬†on a Bull Big E¬†ūüėÜ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eljay said:

Double sculls.   Was I mistaken?   Was the Kiwi flag hung sideways?

Nothing would surprise me ......

The games are Tokyo 2020 yet its 2021.

China just won a swimming relay !

The Croatia team [tennis doubles] wore different shirts.

A man soon competing in womens weightlifting !

It's crazy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, Gruff said:

They may as well they are useless as Tits¬†on a Bull Big E¬†ūüėÜ

100% Gruff. As long as you can breathe around or through that useless item you are potentially inhaling or exhaling the virus. Only a prophylactic if worn when dead!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chevy86 said:

100% Gruff. As long as you can breathe around or through that useless item you are potentially inhaling or exhaling the virus. Only a prophylactic if worn when dead!

Yeah Chevster its that ridiculous its¬†almost crazy. You watch how these masks are used like Sunglasses when the clouds show up... what is a Mandate worth without categoric instruction ūü§Ēpeople should be using oxygen tanks but this would expose this fraud in a Heartbeat ... If our Vaccine rate gets over 50% this so called Democracy is fucked, Adern got jabbed to be ‚Äėkind‚Äô

Shouldnt she be jabbed because shes informed¬†ūüė≥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mighty NZ Eights win rowing gold, just after Twiggy wins gold and the womens eights wins silver. A great day for NZ.

Am I the only one enjoying the sport? The rest of u appear to only only want to pontificate about your own little hobby horses.

Honestly Gruff, u seem completely obsessed by Covid-19. I'd suggest you see a Psychiatrist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

The Mighty NZ Eights win rowing gold, just after Twiggy wins gold and the womens eights wins silver. A great day for NZ.

Am I the only one enjoying the sport? The rest of u appear to only only want to pontificate about your own little hobby horses.

Honestly Gruff, u seem completely obsessed by Covid-19. I'd suggest you see a Psychiatrist.

Great day for rowing.......Hamish Bond , must be one of our best ever sportspersons......justifies the huge money given to the watersports from Olympic Funding.

Table Tennis has been fantastic !

China becoming a big force in most sports......two of top qualifiers in Women's Shot Put !

Extreme Heat having a negative impact on some competitors.

Mixed relay on track ...what the deal ??

Man in womens rowing race.......whats the deal ?

I'm watching ALL day and every day , no worries there Uriah Heap !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

Big Tom Walsh gave us heart palpitations last night. I don't know why he can't just jam his front foot up against the board like everyone else. That landing out to the side is going to cause more problems in the Final I reckon.

Agreed , our household was really getting worked up about the whole process.......but the whole judging seemed so mickey mouse !

And we were waiting for the greasy ball to slip from a thrower and eventually it did ,but no damage done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

Gotta love the Olympics.

So last night I'm watching this cycle race where they go round and round for 99 laps, with riders spread out all round the track. You can't tell what's going on and then they go "The Kiwi rider wins silver." 

You beaudy!!

You refer to the Omnium race which is a multi-race event.

Our silver medalist Campbell Stewart was a late call up to the event but had previous success in the event on World stage ,so very capable.

If you enjoyed that you would have enjoyed the Madison event on cycle track which is a relay /tag event with 2x person teams.The womens event was like a stock-car derby with many dangerous tags at high speeds and there were several smashes .

Strap in for the mens event tonight !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone watching the paralympics, hope I got spelling correct, only seen some news clips, some amazing people there.

Everybody though are at different levels of disablement which does seem to make things a bit awkward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.