RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Arrogance?

Is it just me or is it a real arrogance that they plan to split the maiden 1,400m at Cromwell with 26 noms, but not the rating 65 1,400 with 28 noms. The maiden of course is only worth $10,000 and the rating 65 $22,500. Is this the new policy. Do they not want to admit it is because of poor programming that horses are continually being eliminated in the SI?

Six are double nominated so that still leaves 22 , seems crazy that eight won't get to run. Even if they run a second division for the lower rated  for 10K for the others they didn't make the first 14. Or what i've been banging on about for years, the two rating grade races  at 1400 meter races could be open entry and races divided by rating  up once noms are out, would be three races on this occasion and all horses get to have a race.

1 hour ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Six are double nominated so that still leaves 22 , seems crazy that eight won't get to run. Even if they run a second division for the lower rated  for 10K for the others they didn't make the first 14. Or what i've been banging on about for years, the two rating grade races  at 1400 meter races could be open entry and races divided by rating  up once noms are out, would be three races on this occasion and all horses get to have a race.

Why wouldn't they do that  Aaron , example Ayr Gold Cup big handicap sprint in Scotland always massively oversubscribed. Simple solution  top X amount run Gold Cup , next X amount run in Silver Cup for less money and next X amount in Bronze Cup , don't think they have you didn't make field well done for trying cup though.. So 80 odd horses get to run on big day and equals 3 x huge turnover punters paradise 1 2 3 4 places races plus if you shop around get 1 to 6 places with some big outfits  . Same with Stewards Cup at Goodwood amoung others. Handicaps the lifeblood of rank and file punters.

10 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Why wouldn't they do that  Aaron , example Ayr Gold Cup big handicap sprint in Scotland always massively oversubscribed. Simple solution  top X amount run Gold Cup , next X amount run in Silver Cup for less money and next X amount in Bronze Cup , don't think they have you didn't make field well done for trying cup though.. So 80 odd horses get to run on big day and equals 3 x huge turnover punters paradise 1 2 3 4 places races plus if you shop around get 1 to 6 places with some big outfits  . Same with Stewards Cup at Goodwood amoung others. Handicaps the lifeblood of rank and file punters.

RR, I owned a daughter of an Ayr Gold Cup winner...her mother, Brief Star,  was Robert Sangster's first Group one winner...so this race holds a special place for me...but great example of how good programming can work for everyone...

13 minutes ago, La Zip said:

RR, I owned a daughter of an Ayr Gold Cup winner...her mother, Brief Star,  was Robert Sangster's first Group one winner...so this race holds a special place for me...but great example of how good programming can work for everyone...

Great punting race , like the Lincoln, Workingham , Stewards , Portland, Cambridgeshire  etc  as season rolls through up there. Puzzles for sure, punters love them. Certain stables hit them hard.

I read Robert Sangsters life story few years back, good read especially the way their team attacked the US sales in Keeneland  seventies and  80s. I think Brent Thomson  was his stable jockey riding the ones Barry Hills trained for him at one point.Sure he rode Gildoran for Sangster.

My grandparents and father did Littlewoods Pools weekly so I can claim some family connection the ownership of The Minstrel among others, they paid for maybe one evening feed at Ballydoyle during their lifetime.

2 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Yeah,  for sure...open entry used to be the norm at Blenheim [ for example ]  it worked well,  horses were allocated starts and fields were of a more equitable number,  but for some reason there were mutterings from some trainers and the practice was discontinued.  Beats me why.

Self interest dogs this industry everywhere you look.

3 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Those double noms are of course also in other fields which will have ballots.