RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
nathanleslie

First Broodmare

He's an interesting stallion to try and judge, he has the bloodlines to be a stallion but that doesn't always translate to being a success at stud (and he is hard to judge as his family is full of middle distance performers although he was a sprinter/miler,he was a 'limited' group performer on the race track although he did run some really good time in some of his performances so had a great turn of foot. H

He hasn't served massive book's so far and judging by his performance so far you wouldn't expect him to in the future so its going to be hard work for him, so far he has sired 10 winners from 37 to race which includes 1 Listed winner so he has a lot of work to do ahead of him.

I hope he progresses as Brighthill haven't had much luck with their stallions and haven't stood a good one for some time, but personally I would be waiting to see his stat's improve and to see him produce consistent quality horses before utilising him at $8,000

Your post is excellent common sense BruceL. I wish Dalghar all success, and all feedback about the Kings is they are very nice people. Hopefully he isn't one of the 95% of stallions who, despite all the hype and glossy brochures don't measure up to what their promoters think or hope they will.  My only negative is that on the basis of one listed winner they raised his stud fee from 6k to 8k, - "The Aga Khan-bred grey has stood at a fee of $6,000 since 2012, but with a number of talented first-crop performers headed by the impressive Listed ARC Champagne Stakes winner Astara, his fee has been raised" - which is typical of the sales spiel talk studs use. In my view his fee increase was totally unwarranted until the stallion has proven himself, and having one listed winner doesn't mean he has (proven himself).

When looking his ratio of foals on the ground to runners is fairly good, his NZ foal crop of 2yr old runners to winners ratio is just as good as the more expensive sires, plenty of decent sires didn't leave any 2yr winners last season. 

Dalghar didn't get a huge band of mares his first 2 seasons in NZ, in his first NZ season he has got foals on the ground, 2yr olds to the races, had winners and a listed win also.  Efforts thus far by progeny haven't done this stallion a dis-service and hope the best are yet to come.