RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Bring Back Saturday Night Trots!!!!!! Why not?????

Who in their wisdom got rid of Saturday night trots and made it a Thursday night.

Is there any logic whatsoever.

Don't tell me it was so it didn't have to compete with rugby on a Saturday night.

Well rugby isn't played all year round so why not at least during Summer?

Turnover would be increased and I'm sure there would be a lot more younger people able to be

On course on a Saturday rather than Thursday as they probably have work the next day.

I don't believe that the Thursday Friday scenario has worked going by the decreased turnover on course at Addington, which provides the best racing in New Zealand bar none.

Auckland could race Friday night and Addington Saturday and then alternate, but probably too good

an idea because it is too logical if they want to improve turnover and get new people into harness.

We know there are people who enjoy the social aspect as look at cup week where Addington is packed

out year in year out.

I appreciate it that Trackside provides a great easy option but to get new people interested they need them oncourse to soak up atmosphere and perhaps have them introduced to trainers, drivers and other owners.

The Thursday night experiment brought in many years ago I don't believe has worked and we need the

Saturday night brought back, but will the powers that be listen?????

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

You would possibly get more on course on a Saturday, but only if the full range of facilities were open to the public. I don't think going to the races on a school night is going to slow up that many young people - it's all done & dusted by 10.30-11ish and if you're upstairs they shut the bars before the last race!

Conversely holding meetings on a Thursday or Friday night allows the trainer the option of backing horses up (thinking Canterbury here) at the local Sunday meeting or at least nominating for both and leaving in where it has the best chance. If Addington races on a Saturday then trainers presumably have to choose one or other which could have an adverse effect on field sizes.

I actually don't have a preference either way, just a couple of extra points to consider.

Thanks Jazz.

Appreciate the last race times etc. but if people have work the next day on a Friday they may not go.

As for horses backing up from Thursday then Sunday not too many horses would do that in Christchurch anyway.

I know things change but I know from a young age that trotting on a Saturday night at Addington had huge crowds.

Yes there are perhaps other things on but the club can put on a good product by having great food, reasonable priced drinks and great racing.

Why they think turnover in this day and age would be better on a Thursday night is hard to fathom.

People are likely to stay around at the bar later on a Saturday night as well so more revenue.

Australia cities metropolitan tracks all have their best horses race on Saturday nights as that is the best for turnover and patronage

Which makes sense to me.

Why are we any different?

Not many go to Riccarton and they aren't on at Riccarton every Saturday so why not Addington Saturday nights?

Too logical if they don't want to grow the sport or at least keep going they are going the right way to stuff it.

If the TAB only want on account betting then it WILL DIE.

Administration needs to wake up to themselves before it is too late and look after the punter before it is too late.

Thursday and Friday nights are the major meetings on their nights. Saturday night is last cab of the rank in New Zealand, and you will only get the ones who make money after the first two meetings - and you run into good cards in Australia, being in direct competition with the Australian meetings. 

The only way to grow the sport is to try and attract new and casual punters as they do in France and Sweden with lotto-style multi-bets .Easy to bet Multi-million pools. It is what drives the sport there, and it is not hard to emulate.

Prodigious, what I am saying is swap Thursday night for a Saturday night.

It works at Easter Cup time which is a Saturday night and the crowds are big as any time during the year except cup week, so the interest is there for Saturday nights.

Not sure why you say last cab off the rank. I'm sure punters in NZ would rather invest on NZ horses than ones in Oz on A Saturday night that they don't know much about.

Thursday nights are not the best night for night trotting or Auckland would want it wouldn't they?

Prodigious, what I am saying is swap Thursday night for a Saturday night.

It works at Easter Cup time which is a Saturday night and the crowds are big as any time during the year except cup week, so the interest is there for Saturday nights.

Not sure why you say last cab off the rank. I'm sure punters in NZ would rather invest on NZ horses than ones in Oz on A Saturday night that they don't know much about.

Thursday nights are not the best night for night trotting or Auckland would want it wouldn't they?

Brodie i have been involved in the trotting industry in some capacity for over 30 years but even i would bet on the Aussie gallops on a saturday afternoon/early evening over trots at Addington.Did you ever go to Saturday night trots at Addington,some nights if it wasnt for the trainers there wouldnt be enough people to worry about opening the hotdog stand,So i take it you would have N.I trot meets on a Friday.Also with alot of  Sundays taken up with S.I. trot meets it might be a bit much to expect staff to get home close to midnight on a Saturday then away again down to Oamaru etc first thing on a Sunday.I cant really see that changing days is going to make the product any more attractive to the average punter,and cant see people wanting to go to the trots on a Saturday night in summer

I agree with Richie, Saturday nigths are not a good option for harness industry. Off Course turnovers are abysmal and wouldn't get even close of being offset with increased oncourse patronage ( if it even eventuated). Call the CEO's of Addington and Alex Park if you don't believe me

Easter Cups, Saturday night Christmas at races etc are exceptions to the above.

Re the comparsion to Aussie harness, on course attendance their is even worse from my experience although to be fair probably not helped by Menangle and Melton being in the friggin middle of nowhere

Richie thanks for your thoughts.

Yes I have been to Addington for a very long time and yes attendance has dropped off especially a Thursday night but Friday nights are better but nowhere near as large as it used to be. A major factor would be Trackside makes it so easy to stay at home or

Mysky the races and go out somewhere else.

I do believe that if Saturday nights were introduced again patronage would be superior than a Thursday.

Understand about the Saturday night then Sunday day meetings but Addington could race Saturday night when say Southland are racing on the Sunday.

If they don't do something to get more people interested that being the younger generation then I can see the industry folding eventually unfortunately.

Just as a side issue why would you back those Ozzie gallopers over Nz harness, makes no sense to me.

Cantab Matt. You say off course turnover is abysmal. What night are you talking about? I am sure it is on a Thursday that is why I am suggesting bring back the Saturday night trots. At least trial it on certain nights to see if it will work.

Is it just that the administrators don't want to work on a Saturday night?

Stop talking sense Bridie. You'll be blowing a few minds amongst our leadership.

Cantab Matt and others saying Saturday nights were crap. How many years ago was that? Why not try it again and see how it goes? I agree with Brodie that Thursday nights surely wouldn't be better than Saturday nights. I suspect you are correct too that the staff probably wouldn't like to work on Saturday nights. Look how many staff they have at NZ Metro Club. Just like HRNZ. I don't know what work they have to keep so many people busy during the day. They'd have to have meetings every day to fill in their days.

I actually think Saturday afternoons is the way to go to get trotting back going forward but our leaders are push overs and do what they're told so things won't turn around any time soon with the same old leaders who have only seen the industry take a dive since they've been there.

Brodie

Saturday nights............turnover is abysmal in general on a Saturday night. There are as I mentioned previously some exceptions.

your last sentence is pretty condesending in my opinion.

As an aside I personally much prefer Saturday trots as I am a harness fantantic and have less committments on a Saturday night, however from a wider picture it doesn't benefit the industry.

Cantab Matt.

I am sure the turnover could be abysmal on a Saturday night that s because it is Australia trots NOT New Zealand trots

Because we don't have Saturday night trots in New Zealand at the moment, that is what I am saying, Bring them back as a trial.

What have they got to lose?

Wasn't meant to be condescending regarding working on a Saturday night just a thought.

Perhaps if they want Thursday nights still leave it at Cambridge and Forbury, with Auckland and Addington alternating on the Friday and Saturday.

Something needs to be done.

Kakama, I am not saying have it on both a Thursday and Saturday.

Do away with the Thursday night and replace on certain Saturday nights.

Seriously though, I would much prefer a Saturday night at Addington trots than doing most other things that young ones do.

What are the other things that people do on a Saturday night other than bars and Addington has got that.

dont disagree that things could improve, (my horse placed 3rd twice this month and it wont cover 1/2 the training fee's and my trainers costs are really fair and reasonable comapred to some barns)- just dont think racing "run of the mill" meetings on a Saturday night would work.

Manawatu and Cambridge have tried it and it didn't work.

I think you will find that the clubs don't want Saturday night dates because it has been tried and it doesn't work.

Harness should push for more harness day dates- especially in winter months, im my view many punters only put up with the garbage heavy tracks that the gallops produce because there isn't any other betting options..... all weather tracks place harness with an advantage in my opinion

Cantab Matt, do you think that the Thursday night turnover would be higher than a Saturday night?

Also why do you say that the clubs don't want Saturday nights because it has been tried and doesn't work?

It has been a very long time since Saturday night trots has been on in NZ. So why does Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane,

Adelaide all the major Australian cities have their best racing and biggest stakes on a Saturday night.

Because that is when the most punting occurs not a Thursday night. It happens on course and through the bars and clubs etc.

Cantab Matt, do you think that the Thursday night turnover would be higher than a Saturday night?

Also why do you say that the clubs don't want Saturday nights because it has been tried and doesn't work?

It has been a very long time since Saturday night trots has been on in NZ. So why does Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane,

Adelaide all the major Australian cities have their best racing and biggest stakes on a Saturday night.

Because that is when the most punting occurs not a Thursday night. It happens on course and through the bars and clubs etc.

Hi Brodie

yes. Thursday night turnovers are stronger than Saturday nights.

I think comparing NZ harness to Aussie harness is like comparing apples and oranges but for the puposes of this debate I will ignore this belief.

A few points,

• Melton is a cot case and not travellig will financially from what I have been told- I was their this year for Christen Me's Victoria Cup win and the crowd wasn't massive
  • Many of the major races are not on Saturdays, Breeders Crown ( Sunday), Interdominions this year ( Sunday), many of Perths biggest races are on a Friday
  • yes Brisbane seem to focus on Saturdays- Adelaide do they have major races!!??

happy to agree to disagree.....

Hi again Matt. Healthy discussion.

Yes it is hard to know for sure if a Saturday night at Addington with the same fields would pull in more turnover than a Thursday night.

I think it would as I know how popular the trots were when I was a lad. I know things change but I don't believe that working people

Come home from work at 6 pm on a Thursday night and sit down and punt. Also by the time they finish work they probably don't have time to get out to the trots whether it Addington or Auckland or Forbury etc unless they have flexible working hours.

I believe that a Saturday night would be popular especially in Summer and people would have more time to get out there and easier to introduce the sport to newbies.

Bottom line is the $$$$$ are spent by the time Saturday evening comes around. One look at the respective turnovers for the Saturdays run (albeit a few) over recent years would tell you that.

Bronson, appreciate it is about the dollars, that is why I think Saturday night New Zealand trots and NOT Australian trots

would improve turnover substantially.

Does anyone have what the average on course and off course turnovers are for the various days?

Don't normally give up easily but I might have to succumb to the current status quo if it is because punters have run out of money by Saturday night.

Maybe I am being selfish but I would love NZ trots being on most nights of the week.

Wednesday Nights in October meant heats of the Lion Brown Rising Stars 3yo Series featuring

Olympic Medal

Samson

Naval Officer

Tuapeka Knight

Nardinski

Keystone Surprise

Dream Lustre

Race Ruler

Speedy Cheval

Megatrend

Greg Patron

Malaz

Hayden Bromac

Captain Cavalla

Trident

Lord Louie

Master Mood

Logan Dryham

Laser Lad

Loveridge

Royden Glen

Nardins Hall

Final on a Friday later in the month.

Weather warming up and potential top liners coming out to play.

Those were the days Sonny Jim.

The reason we do not have races here on a Saturday night is because The Australian TABs refuse to cover our Saturday night meetings because of the overflow of aussie racing they don't have enough TV time to play our races and the our tab does the same thing they lose turn over having our racing on a Saturday night. they could get turn over from Saturday night and Thursday night. when they have to reduce aussie racing cover on our tab channels if they moved the thrusday night racing to Saturday nights.