RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
TOM(the other Molloy)

Mahanadi?????

I know racing is a funny game but Mahanadi weakens noticeably to 5th of 7 10 lengths from the winner over 3200m on Saturday then comes out today and runs away from the National Hurdles field over 4200m.

One would expect at least a question from the stewards but in the report exactly zero.

Similar field, reasonably similar track conditions, ridden a little differently but still a vast improvement.

??????????

(And I didn't back it or any horse in a race against it either day)

I backed it going purely  on past stable performances.  He has an incredible ability that sees horses improve markedly in days, running like Long John Silver one start  and Usian Bolt the next.  Very astute bloke  and a  master horsesman.   I'm kicking myself for backing on the  tote, at lunchtime could have got $ 12 at fixed odds.  Was sure backed in late,  despite Herald comment that the race would be a step too far for it.

The rider didn't loose her irons yesterday, not like Saturday - I selected him in the Riccarton tipping competition as my Best Bet solely because of his win in the hurdle on Wellington Steepelchase day, a very similar testing track  - thank you Mahanadi you have pleased my bank manager and at false money. Easy game when you win

turny...

Where did you find out about the loss of irons?

There is nothing in the relevant Stipendiary Steward report about this.

Thank you.

Ashoka

Re watch the race, near side iron lost from about the 800 - very noticeablke down the straight

turny...

Thank you for your reply.

All the best.

Ashoka

Thanks buddy,

The Saturday incident should have been noted - the group I was with singled the horse out for yesterday

To be fair, this is a very tidy animal and more "major" successes are in store tho looks like it needs a heavy 9 or worse - who knows

I know racing is a funny game but Mahanadi weakens noticeably to 5th of 7 10 lengths from the winner over 3200m on Saturday then comes out today and runs away from the National Hurdles field over 4200m.

One would expect at least a question from the stewards but in the report exactly zero.

Similar field, reasonably similar track conditions, ridden a little differently but still a vast improvement.

??????????

(And I didn't back it or any horse in a race against it either day)

This is unbelieveable,a complete turnaround in form from the first day.

You have the chief stipe along with another Aussie on duty the first day and if it is correct the rider lost an iron,when this must be obvious and yet nothing in the report,WHY NOT????

Yesterday we have the top two stipes on duty along with a joint Harness stipe and they think that this complete turnaround of form is acceptable,if these stipes were doing there job correctly and efficiently,then either the first day incident should have been reported or if this didn't happen,then a question should have been asked for the turnaround in form from 3 days ago.

You must wonder what this does to the confidence of punters

This turnaround in form is far more important to punters than someone dropping their whip after the last jump,or some jockey doing a celebratory flourish with there whip prior to the winning post.

In my opinion this is incompetence and question must be asked to preserve the Integrity of racing

I had it in the Grand Final of the Winter Tipping comp on Saturday and if it had run like it did today we would have won 3/2 - instead of losing 3/2!!! :)

Like you say Tom - funny old game.... :)

I thought you might mention that Lloyd. He looked in great shape last Saturday. Thought he might have run better then...

I thought you might mention that Lloyd. He looked in great shape last Saturday. Thought he might have run better then...

My wallet thought so too PJ....had a few nice collects (on him) at Trentham in the last 12 months. I lost confidence yesterday after Saturdays effort..... like quite a few others.

Hey Lloyd......your opponent on Saturday had this boy selected as well...just for the record :D

Turny. Kayla hasn't lost her irons and a close look at her legs rounding the final bend and then again after the winning post on the close up will confirm that. However, I can see how you could believe that she had as she rides with a very long stirrup. It gives the impression her legs are flapping about like a fish out of water, but her feet never leave the stirrups.

Counter Punch ran sixth in a Koral Steeplechase, 20.3 lengths from the winner over 4250 metres. He then returned the next week and beat the same field in the Grand National Steeplechase (5600m) by two and half lengths. 

Did we get up in arms about that? Or is this just a little bit of Dummy hating? Maybe I'm pushing something that's not there. 

I agree though that the question had to be asked. After BOTH performances. Not just the improvement run on Wednesday. But he barely gets a mention on the opening day and then is a glaring omission yesterday from the stipes report. 

But then again, if the question had been asked I am picking we would have read something like. "Stable representative K Harrison could off no tangible reason for the turn around in form shown by Mahanadi, other than to suggest that the gelding may have enjoyed running over the longer distance on a slightly less taxing track than Saturday." 

Thanks Matt,

I was there on Saturday (and punted it) and remain 100% convinced she had lost an iron as were my friends with me and as a result we labelled it a special for yesterday based on that and the Wellington hurdle win. Irregardelss I agree with your last paragraph which has another issue embraced within.

For me, the chocolates are in the bank - so I am happy

Tom

Either way it's well played to you. I couldn't have had it in a month of Sundays after the Sydenham effort. But that's Kevin Myers for you. Well done on the collect. 

Turny. Kayla hasn't lost her irons and a close look at her legs rounding the final bend and then again after the winning post on the close up will confirm that. However, I can see how you could believe that she had as she rides with a very long stirrup. It gives the impression her legs are flapping about like a fish out of water, but her feet never leave the stirrups.

Counter Punch ran sixth in a Koral Steeplechase, 20.3 lengths from the winner over 4250 metres. He then returned the next week and beat the same field in the Grand National Steeplechase (5600m) by two and half lengths. 

Did we get up in arms about that? Or is this just a little bit of Dummy hating? Maybe I'm pushing something that's not there. 

I agree though that the question had to be asked. After BOTH performances. Not just the improvement run on Wednesday. But he barely gets a mention on the opening day and then is a glaring omission yesterday from the stipes report. 

But then again, if the question had been asked I am picking we would have read something like. "Stable representative K Harrison could off no tangible reason for the turn around in form shown by Mahanadi, other than to suggest that the gelding may have enjoyed running over the longer distance on a slightly less taxing track than Saturday." 

Rest assured I am not a 'Dummy hater'.  I think the guy is unbelievable the way he placed his horses to advantage(and I love the fact he hates the press).

It is nought to do with who is doing the training just a question of why those stipes aren't out there earning their money.

And as you say Dizzy it would appear that perhaps she did not lose her irons on Saturday so even more reason why those guys shoudl have made at least a gentle enquiry.  They asked the question about other yesterday - why not this one?

If I am a big punter(which I am not) and I am looking at this I'm afraid my confidence has just been shattered

My wallet thought so too PJ....had a few nice collects (on him) at Trentham in the last 12 months. I lost confidence yesterday after Saturdays effort..... like quite a few others.

Hey Lloyd......your opponent on Saturday had this boy selected as well...just for the record :D

And that folks is how you wreck a completely good story by providing the facts!!!! :)

Yep - I did think he was a good thing. Like others have already noted, he's a pretty fair jumper and that won't be his last good win, I reckon.