RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
  • Latest Posts

• As much as trainer Chad Brown exited the Belmont Stakes Racing Festival with a couple of grade 1 victories, there was also a case of classic disappointment.View the full article
    • 'I am pretty sore but I know it could have been a lot worse,' says McNab.View the full article
    • On then to the full preview for the opening day of Royal Ascot 2024. The ground remains Good to Firm, Good in places with Ascot missing most of the weekend showers which certainly affected Chester and York yesterday. Three Group 1 races highlight a stellar card to open the iconic meeting. Queen Anne Stakes - 1600m - Straight 14 go to post in a fascianting renewal for the older milers. The Lockinge form is represented by AUDIENCE and CHARYN while we have the likes of BIG ROCK and FACTEUR CHEVAL and the four dominate the early betting exchanges. It all went spectacularly right for AUDIENCE at Newbury but he won't get that kind of rope this time. This is a stiffer mile than Newbury and he may struggle to follow up. CHARYN was just below top notch at three running third in the St James's Palace behind PADDINGTON and my concern is he's never gone on anything quicker than good. We know he enjoys some juice in the ground and I need to be convinced. FACTEUR CHEVAL won the Dubai Turf last time but the Meydan 1800m is dead flat on a bowling green while Ascot has undulations. That said, he ran well in defeat behind BIG ROCK in the Queen Elizabeth II stakes last autumn but that was on much slower ground. I've got concers about all the market leaders so could we be in for a turnup? This race has produced them in the past - ACCIDENTAL AGENT was 50s in 2018 and TRIPLE TIME was 33s last year. ROYAL SCOTSMAN was third in the 2022 Coventry on quick ground and was very good at Epsom when allowed to dictate - he could do what AUDIENCE did in the Lockinge and at 14s he's of interest. I like MALJOOM as well if he can come back to his 2022 St James's Palace form and with no Ballydoyle runner, Ryan Moore has been snapped up for HI ROYAL who is on offer at 40s. I'm going to give ROYAL SCOTSMAN a chance to continue his renaissance. KIng Charles III Stakes - 1000m - Straight 17 very fast horses go to post for this championship race. The much quicker ground will, I'm sure, have an impact. REGIONAL is one who will love it but so will the Australian ASFOORA. BIG EVS is favourite after his smooth win at York and his run in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint entitles him to huge respect. However, he couldn't mix it with the older sprinters in the Nunthorpe and I'm yet to be convinced he will be up to taking on these older and wiser types. REGIONAL has stamina to spare and loves quick ground while we know we'll see a different ASFOORA from the one who couldn't cope with the Soft ground at Haydock. BELIEVING has been backed from 40s to 7s after a facile win at Haydock last weekend but that was in Listed grade. KERDOS was cut from 20s to 8s after winning the Temple and he was second, albeit in a warm handicap, at the 2023 Ascot meeting. CRIMSON ADVOCATE is a fascinating contender - an ex-American turf galloper, she won the Queen Mary last year over this course and distance and was sixth to BIG EVS at the Breeders Cup but has now come over to be trained by the Gosdens and this could be a very interesting move for a horse who is all about gate speed.  It's not an easy race to call - I like REGIONAL to win and I think CRIMSON ADVOCATE at 16s is a big each way shout. St James's Palace Stakes - 1600m - Round Eight run in what many are already calling the "race of the week". The English, Irish and French Guineas winners all turn up along with the English Guineas third and Irish Guineas runner up.  Where then to start? The first three from Newmarket re-oppose - NOTABLE SPEECH, ROSALLION and HAATEM and they were split by three and a quarter lengths. ROSALLION then just beat HAATEM at the Curragh so who will come out on top this time? There are arguments for both the English and Irish Guineas winners - NOTABLE SPEECH was very good at Newmarket but he came off three wins on synthetic surfaces while ROSALLION was making his seasonal debut and HAATEM had won the Craven. Connections have always claimed ROSALLION wanted fast ground and he may well get that on Tuesday. To be honest, I was slightly disappointed by his run in Ireland but to be fair everything that could go wrong did go wrong in the run. He jumped too well, had to be taken back and started pulling. He was trapped out wide in the run but still won.  HENRY LONGFELLOW is the Ballydoyle runner and won the National last sutumn. He was eighth in the Poulains but he wouldn't be the first Ballydoyle horse to bounce back from a bad run and it may be the round 1600m and better ground could be just what he needs. The French challengers add a huge dimension to the race but on all known from DARLINGHURST isn't good enough. Poulains winner METROPOLITAN could well improve for the better ground but this is more likely to be a trongly-run race than a French style race. I like ROSALLION a lot and respect NOTABLE SPEECH but HENRY LONGFELLOW could be the one for the Ballydoyle masestro and the lads. The supporting Group 2 Coventry over 1200m for the juveniles has 23 runners and if anyone has a spare pin, I'll gladly use it. It's not a race in which I'd be getting involved. COWARDOFTHECOUNTY from the Joseph O'Brien yard is 4s but the problem is most of these have done their running and winning on much slower ground and in much lower grade. In lieu of anything else, I'll offer SYMBOL OF HONOUR, a 20/1 shot and the Godolphin second string. He looked good on fast turf at Lingfield and should give his running. Selections - Day One 2.30 Queen Anne Stakes - ROYAL SCOTSMAN (each way) 3.05 Coventry Stakes - SYMBOL OF HONOUR (each way) 3.45 King Charles III Stakes - REGIONAL (win), CRIMSON ADVOCATE (each way) 4.25 St James's Palace Stakes - HENRY LONGFELLOW (win) Good luck to anyone playing on Wednesday morning (NZ).  
    • The fifth and final day next Saturday will see nearly 70,000 head to Berkshire. In truth, it's not the strongest card of the meeting but there is a final Group 1. Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Stakes - 1200m Straight Known many moons ago as the Cork and Orrery, it has enjoyed championship status since 2002 when it was the Golden Jubilee of the late Queen. Diamond and eventually Platinum followed but the renaming of the race in perpetuity is a nice touch. 33 have been entered and they go 5s the field. MILL STREAM won the Duke of York but I'm to be convinced he's a Group 1 performer. KINROSS was top class over 1400m last year and placed runs in the July Cup and the Champions Sprint showed he can be competitive at 1200m and his defeat of AUDIENCE in the City of York now looks really strong form. REGIONAL won the Haydock Sprint Trophy last year and we know he enjoys fast ground. The supporting Group 2 is the Hardwicke over 2400m for the older horses. The Coronation Cup winner LUXEMBOURG has been entered as has the globe trotting REBEL'S ROMANCE whose last two win s were in Dubai and Hong Kong. CONTINUOUS chased home KING OF STEEL in the King Edward VII last year and went on to win both the Voltigeur and the Leger before a fine fifth in the Arc. That's serious form but will be ready for this first time up? 
    • Been for a short break to Derbyshire with Mrs Stodge but back with the previews of the final two days at Ascot before the fuller preview of the opening day. First, then day four featuring two Group 1 races. Commonwealth Cup - 1200m straight This has quickly found a niche in the schedule and has proved hugely popular with trainers providing a serious race for the sprinting juveniles who are not up to the classic races over a mile or further. 22 have been entered and joint favourites at 4s are INISHERIN and VANDEEK. The two met three weeks back at Haydock in the Sandy Lane where INISHERIN, fresh from his sixth in the 2000 Guineas, put up a sparkling performance while VANDEEK, on seasonal bow and conceding the 3 lb Group 1 penalty, looked a bit moderate in third. VANDEEK's trainer, Ed Crisford, was adamant the horse could come on a ton for the run and he'll have to but the Haydock race was run on soft ground and conditions by the end of next week could be pretty quick. It was fast enough when VANDEEK won the Middle Park last autumn. Coronation Stakes - 1600m - Round One of my favourite races of the meeting, this is the equivalent of the St James's Palace but for the fillies. The first three from Newmarket re-oppose with ELMALKA, PORTA FORTUNA and RAMATUELLE only being split by three quarters of a length. The ground will be quicker and of the three I quite like PORTA FORTUNA - I remember her handling firm turf in America when second in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf. Favourite is the O'Brien runner OPERA SINGER who was third in the Irish 1000 Guineas while ROUHIYA won the Pouliches and comes over to add to the real class of the race. The Group 2 supporting race is the King Edward VII over 2400m, often known as the Ascot Derby but BELLUM JUSTUM (seventh) and EUPHORIC (ninth) are the best of those who ran at Epsom - we know the winner is going to Sandown (as is the sixth) while the fifth is in the Queens Vase and the second, third and fourth are all heading for the Irish Derby. Favourite is the French challenger CALANDAGAN who won the Hocquart last time while Aidan O'Brien has entered no fewer than nine.
    • Having become his sire's first group 1 winner in the Southern Hemisphere, and second globally, when landing Randwick's Champagne Stakes (G1) in April, the Godolphin homebred Broadsiding took his form to even further heights June 15.View the full article
    • Massive run. Heart of a champion.
    • Not sure Rev, I think he was just getting in too a nice doze and out of a half open eye her approach seemed threatening and startled him.  The perfume theory could well be right though 🙂 Interesting about Ardee One and Swannys, certainly popular in their day - my school one was blue and black check which was outnumbered by the amount of red and black check options. A red and black Swanndri must surely have been highly offensive to the mare... 
    • Dynamite ....$5,500 per month is extortion! I had a horse with Mark Purdon a few years back and when he put his training fee's up to $92.00 per day I went white! (not that I was black before that 🤣) .....but even though he was the best of the best I still thought $92.00 per day was way over the top......but looking back he was worth it. I know its 2024 but horses don't win $5,500 per month unless they are open class..... and don't start me on Vet fee's ....they charge whatever they want.....even milage!! Its just getting way too expensive to race a horse unless you chop it up.
    • Bill Autridge,  Bob's dad and Steven and Toby's grand father  always told me as a kid to beware the dozing, sleeping horse. Bill had the Black Smith cauldren of hot shoeing and anvils in Matamata. He shod thoroughbreds and giant Draft horses. As a kid about 1955 I used to watch him . He taught us all to be cautious around dozing horses.Some could doze off andrespond to smells. Like a perfume. And foals who have a lethal kick . Years later Bill's advice probably saved my body many injuries. My brother trained a mare called Ardee One. She reacted negatively to Red colours and swandrys.Put her ears back and stretched the tie ups at Cambridge to any male wearing a swanny! He also had another Group One mare, Fleur de Lune who loved my wife's perfume.Chrystel Noir. Fleur was a gem but near her peak fitness could be very colty .Caution was needed . After her Foxbridge Plate win and Railway Victory she loved being soothed  with that Chrystel Noir fumes.  Maybe the Kings Horse reacted the way he did because the lady in the video had a cheap perfume ??   Thought s??     .
    • A mate of mine said the comments were generated by a data entry company most of whom are non racing people. 
    • No music here apart from the sweet sound of the Bike. Bruce Anstey, one of our greats and somewhat of an unsung hero (possibly due to his nature) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Anstey  
    • Deep Sooth this sounds like a very unfortunate situation that ends badly for both parties…. A friend of a friend in Christchurch has a share in a horse that raced today , trained by the leading stable in NZ, and they had to give the senior training parter a share in the horse as the monthly bill, including vet bills, were well in excess of $5500 per month….  
    • https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=C5694EDC-D064-457B-BEC6-C22D38F98627&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE Beauview Topaz - Hard to know if John Dunn is a mind reader or if the starter has a dollar or two on the horse. Bang go and the Beauview Topaz has a length on the field and travelling. Yes it didn't show much fight but highlights again how weak the starter is when the field are not on the same level. Donkey Donnelly has learnt well off his teacher Mr RIGHTTTTTTTTTT  While I am on the moan Alan Clark put a professional driver on and your horse will win a race or two (George Eliot for example) - your respect on the track is nil - you will never be given the lead doesn't matter how much you want it. 
    • Yes, you are right Mike each to their own, my mother liked the Seekers as well as Jim Reeves and other old ladies' music. But not liking AC/ DC you need to make sure that you do not express your opinion on them if you ever visit The Tron or Mullet Hutt.
    • Yes, in the end you're dead right. In this case "being right" has cost him a long time owner that had varying sized interests in about 6 other horses in the stable as well, and the word is he isn't the only owner affected heading for the front gate when the lease in question ends next month. Doing the "right thing" will always trump blindly doing what you have the "right to do" in the long run!  
    • zelda keep your tips to yourself, or just back horses with J McDonald (nz) on board. or dig up another kero tin, n0?
    • FF….. I do agree as C Hart does it here better than anyone… But certain NZ drivers “jerk” on the reigns…. And you see the horses heads get thrown into the air…. D Dunn  and C Dalgety are identical and are extremely kind on the horses and it’s mouth and go with momentum of the horse…
    • Dynamite....leaning back on the horses bit in the mouth kids it into thinking its going better than it is if that makes sense...... the horse feels stronger if its up on the bit rather than those drivers that throw the reins at it. Dexter Dunn was (and still is) the master at it.....and going way back to Maurice Holmes (one of the greatest of all time) he used to 'knot' the reins for a stronger grip so he could do it.....and boy didn't they respond over the last furlong.
  • Like & Follow Us on Facebook

• RaceCafe News

• Featured Video

• Topics

• Disclaimer

While the owners and managers of RaceCafe endeavour to moderate and control the site and posts on it, they give no guarantee that posts are true and correct, and take no responsibility whatsoever for what individuals post on the site.

Posts do not necessarily reflect the sentiments, views or beliefs of Race Cafe or its owners and management.

The owners and managers of RaceCafe reserve the right to remove posts from the site and to provide details of members whose posts warrant scrutiny.