Pheroz

What made Imperatriz a superstar.

Looking at the breeding and pedigree page when Imperatriz was a yearling there was no real standouts that demanded a purchase. She was purchased for a relatively low $360k and clearly was not considered by so many of the experts. She had a champion sire in I Am Invincible but was the secret in the damsires, Shamardal, Encosta De Lago and Pre Emptive Strike are the first three  damsires.

We know the potency of those good broodmare sires, O'Reilly is very powerful as are the first two in Imperatriz pedigree.

Is it too simplistic when looking at yearling pedigree's to discount those horses where the damsires are not highly successful, you may miss a star but are you increasing your chances of success by following that formula..

The broodmare sires tables are there for all to see, should we focus on the top four or five when looking at yearling purchases. If a yearling stacks up in type and appearance and broodmare sires is that where we should be focusing when looking to purchase? Does that significantly increase your chances of a winning animal?

She is interesting with only Northern Dancer a match in either pedigree but for me in line breeding it's not necessarily the same line, but strengths in a line and how they link with others.

For mine, Canny Lad with Jesmond Lass stand out for me and also Mariah's Storm with Giant's Causeway.    I love what that line brings and tripled with Encosta de Lago, love it :) 

I think that often traits of lines feed through, depending if they can pick up similar strengths on the mare's side.   Just my take on it, but that's what makes breeding so exciting :)   I just love analysing the mares, for me they are not only the incubators, but they have a lot of time to infuse their lines into the offspring :) 

On 6/11/2024 at 5:13 PM, Pheroz said:

Looking at the breeding and pedigree page when Imperatriz was a yearling there was no real standouts that demanded a purchase. She was purchased for a relatively low $360k and clearly was not considered by so many of the experts. She had a champion sire in I Am Invincible but was the secret in the damsires, Shamardal, Encosta De Lago and Pre Emptive Strike are the first three  damsires.

We know the potency of those good broodmare sires, O'Reilly is very powerful as are the first two in Imperatriz pedigree.

Is it too simplistic when looking at yearling pedigree's to discount those horses where the damsires are not highly successful, you may miss a star but are you increasing your chances of success by following that formula..

The broodmare sires tables are there for all to see, should we focus on the top four or five when looking at yearling purchases. If a yearling stacks up in type and appearance and broodmare sires is that where we should be focusing when looking to purchase? Does that significantly increase your chances of a winning animal?

Yes

Agree with Pheroz, Imperatriz' balance across her bloodlines is formidable. Across the world a heavy mix of Northern Dancer with Mr Prospector has proven a consistent stream of success stories for over thirty years now. 

Imperatriz then adds a dash of Canny Lad and a smidge of Star Way to make her more well rounded. Easy to say in hindsight, and being by a sire capable of producing freaks doesn't hurt, but her page is outstanding.

The next question is, as with almost all great race mares with a great mix to their bloodlines, how do you achieve a similar beautiful balance with her foals. You may get away with taking her back to a Mr Prospector line such as Justify but not an easy call. 

Greetings from Co Tipperary

A while back I had a look at a few pedigrees, and Winx was one.

https://www.sport-horse-breeder.com/support-files/kilroynd2.pdf

In Winx the 4th dam (Costa Sola) of her sire Street Cry matched well with horses near the dam line of Winx.

I thought the ancestors that gave the ability to Winx were Sind (m) and Stafaralla (f), full sibling brother and sister.

When I saw this thread a few minutes ago I wondered was the same happening with Imperatriz (to be honest I never heard of her).

I compared the 4th dam (Royal Law) of the sire of Imperatriz, I Am Invincible, with the Australian sire Vain in roughly the same position on the dam line of Imperatriz.

When I compare Royal Law (1975) (f) with Vain (1966) (m) I do not find the two full siblings that are in Winx [ Stafaralla (f) and Sind (m) ] but I find the full siblings [ Seed (f) and Sind (m) ].

It is very strange that there are four full siblings in my data by Solario out of Mirawala: Mir Zadeh; Seed; Sind; Stafaralla and the last three of these are in the pedigrees of Winx and Imperatriz in horses on or near the dam lines of the sire and dam.

A feature in the pedigrees of Seed / Sind /Stafaralla is they have the full siblings Sierra (f) and  Sainfoin (m) in the 4th generation.

And in Seed (f) / Sind (m) / Stafaralla (f)     and    Sierra (f) / Sainfoin (m) they produce the opposite sex to themselves in the pedigrees - the fillies produce colts and the colts produce fillies.

If I was to go a bit further I would say it is Robber Prince (m) with Wilkes (m) in Imperatriz that helps because both those sires are by Court Martial (m) or his son King's Bench and they add a bit to the Seed / Sind full sibling matching with extra lines of Gainsborough (m); Phalaris (m);  Sainfoin (m); Sundridge found in Seed / Sind /Stafaralla.

Unfortunately Seed; Sind; Stafaralla are not to be found in European pedigrees. 

As far as I rememberr we have one of them but that is no good for matching a sire and dam.