RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nelli

Should NZ racing follow NZ cricket?

On 2/20/2024 at 9:58 AM, JJ Flash said:

Their initial decision to depart from SKY to Spark was a disaster IMO. Lost a lot of followers and the passing of rights to TVNZ was seen by some as a hospital pass. NZC's income must suffer  as a result.

Meantime ill continue to watch top notch cricket with far better commentators on SKY. Tried to watch recent test but all the Maori stuff put me off. I Know  i'm not alone so no more Scotty for us.

Oh poor JJ all the 'Maori stuff' put you off... its an official language of this country and I'm sure there's plenty of people that are heartened to hear just a little fraction of their language/culture included in the coverage (barely 2% of the overall language used in the broadcast I'd suggest).

Cricket is a 'white man's game' and in recent times this is a point that has been discussed and looking to be addressed (inclusivity)... there's probably a whole bunch of young Maori kids able to actually watch some cricket for the first time in years, is that soo bad JJ that they might feel a little more included? Trivia..  Who was the last Maori to play for the Black Caps? 

I reckon if this exposure/inclusivity were to continue for a few more years we might actually see some good young Maori kids come through and play for their country... I guess Maori playing for New Zealand would be too much 'Maori stuff' for JJ too..? 

JJ, go and have a look in the mirror mate and give yourself an uppercut while you're there.

Should be a cracking game tonight!! And you better not be watching JJ!  Just incase someone hurts your feelings by uttering a Maori word.

I' would say tonight's game will go well with the TV ratings, far greater than if on Sky only, I personally don't get excited about  20 20 but many do.

I guess for tv and those watching 3 and a half hours and all done and dusted, it does put Cricket in the limelight.

1 hour ago, Lowdown said:

Oh poor JJ all the 'Maori stuff' put you off... its an official language of this country and I'm sure there's plenty of people that are heartened to hear just a little fraction of their language/culture included in the coverage (barely 2% of the overall language used in the broadcast I'd suggest).

Cricket is a 'white man's game' and in recent times this is a point that has been discussed and looking to be addressed (inclusivity)... there's probably a whole bunch of young Maori kids able to actually watch some cricket for the first time in years, is that soo bad JJ that they might feel a little more included? Trivia..  Who was the last Maori to play for the Black Caps? 

I reckon if this exposure/inclusivity were to continue for a few more years we might actually see some good young Maori kids come through and play for their country... I guess Maori playing for New Zealand would be too much 'Maori stuff' for JJ too..? 

JJ, go and have a look in the mirror mate and give yourself an uppercut while you're there.

Should be a cracking game tonight!! And you better not be watching JJ!  Just incase someone hurts your feelings by uttering a Maori word.

Adam P who played wicket keeper was the first.i think BOULT MAY BE THE LAST.

5 hours ago, Lowdown said:

Your clearly delusional and without the ability to comprehend my post. It was about the commentator and ringside ground guy not the players. We expect nothing less from TVNZ these  woke days. Perhaps the new government and NZCC might get them back to basics or is that too much for you

Looks like TVNZ have lost their competition, have  to say I never watched TV3, but if you don't have competition then.complacency sets in.

Sky are without competition and seemed to have dropped a lot of content, probably when some of TVNZs content when sparks deal ends will more than likely dissappear or probably move to streaming online which means multiple subscriptions.

50 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Looks like TVNZ have lost their competition, have  to say I never watched TV3, but if you don't have competition then.complacency sets in.

Sky are without competition and seemed to have dropped a lot of content, probably when some of TVNZs content when sparks deal ends will more than likely dissappear or probably move to streaming online which means multiple subscriptions.

The ThreeNow website is carrying some live sport also, and that will continue regardless of what happens to NewsHub (the only part of TV3 that is currently in danger). Both TVNZ and Warner Bros. Discovery has spent millions in recent times on the streaming sites, based on the expectation that normal TV will be completely gone within 3-5 years. 

One thing I've always questioned is why newhub had their news at same time as one, why go head to head.

At least when Addington and Alexandra Park go head to head they still attract the same audience, maybe if newshub had their news at 9 or something may have helped, no noticeable sport probably don't help either, times change I guess.

Easy for people to go on about overseas owners of many of our organisation's and not caring , TVNZ is owned by NZeders and funded by NZeders.

All media are having issues, changing times indeed.

57 minutes ago, mikenz said:

One thing I've always questioned is why newhub had their news at same time as one, why go head to head.

At least when Addington and Alexandra Park go head to head they still attract the same audience, maybe if newshub had their news at 9 or something may have helped, no noticeable sport probably don't help either, times change I guess.

Easy for people to go on about overseas owners of many of our organisation's and not caring , TVNZ is owned by NZeders and funded by NZeders.

All media are having issues, changing times indeed.

Both TV1 and TV3 attract big audiences at 6pm, or historically have done at least. 6pm is a time that obviously works for both. Who would watch two 1 hour news bulletins on the same night if they were on at different times? Not many. Whoever moved to 9pm on their own would attract less viewers than they attract now going head to head I imagine. The problem is more a lack of advertising income really, although I imagine viewership is also dropping for both as young people devour their media differently from us old folk. 

13 hours ago, Idolmite said:

Both TV1 and TV3 attract big audiences at 6pm, or historically have done at least. 6pm is a time that obviously works for both. Who would watch two 1 hour news bulletins on the same night if they were on at different times? Not many. Whoever moved to 9pm on their own would attract less viewers than they attract now going head to head I imagine. The problem is more a lack of advertising income really, although I imagine viewership is also dropping for both as young people devour their media differently from us old folk. 

Radio is still more informative and easier to access than TV but its struggling too,

Media Works are another organisation that's on skid row, they have a lot of music stations, we're once part of the TV3 umbrella, they are losing lots of money too, Newstalk ZB and their organization seem to do OK, they got rid of radio sport though.

Senz came along and bought trackside frequinces from TAB, made a big loss and sold it back, just as well Entain have got plenty.

NZ is just such a small market.

Anyway Cricket starts today, real Cricket and its not stuck behind a paywall, not sure how long its on for , might be over by Saturday.

6 hours ago, Idolmite said:

But if they have no newsroom........just sayin' :rcf-secret:

They can access news from elsewhere a bit like Duke showing ABC news or they could have a 30 minute bulletin each night sourced from SKY or another production company.

9 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

TV3 WILL STILL HAVE TO HAVE SOME NEWS CONTENT AS THEIR CHARTERS REQUIRES IT TO.

TVNZ hasn't had a charter to comply with since 2011 (source NZ Herald today). Wouldn't TV3 be the same?

3 minutes ago, Idolmite said:

TVNZ hasn't had a charter to comply with since 2011 (source NZ Herald today). Wouldn't TV3 be the same?

3 minutes ago, Idolmite said:

I can only go on what i've heard on 1zb and RNZ 

Interesting Sky Tv are ditching 2 grass roots rugby programmes, it must be costing them a lot to cover those venues but it's just another downgrade, just like Cricket, Rugby may find the deal that Sky offer Rugby is a lot less than the previous where they out bid Spark.

Sky probably prefer to buy in product , as in Overseas as no production cost.

Must cost the TAB a lot to cover racing, wasn't long ago they made major cuts but Entain seem to have put everything back as it was, but for how long.

Interesting how TVNZ are probably making cuts to their news yet Maori news seems to remain untouched, maybe can it and just have 1 bulletin for everyone, just a thought.

I was watching Te Karare one day , couldn't understand a word they were saying, may as well have AL Jazerra, speaking in Arabic for all the use it is.

Just now, JJ Flash said:

Why watch it if you cant speak or understand it , you really are a moron at times

I was merely joking, but it does raise a issue, why not get rid of Maori news and have a bulletin for everyone, they do have a free channel of their own, funded by the state, imagine the uproar if they wanted to shut that down.

The only TV company making a profit seems to be Sky, but they ain't got as much product as they once  had.

I forgot to mention Trackside either, they seem to have plenty of staff as well, I think they may have been advertising for more a wee while back, Entain must be raking it in.