RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
trakdap

Racing Fillies

A lot of the lots from the sales at Karaka were very small and not what we are good at breeding. The top lot filly and the 2 Cambridge fillies from that great Eight Carat family were good boned classic fillies that we are renowned for producing. Some of the colts were small as well, not a good look for NZ Breeding going forward.I wouldn't like to be racing some of them. I hope some of these studs have retained some nice types, if not we are in big trouble IMHO

Hi Irish,

We are not renowned for breeding "squibs" is what I am trying to say, we leave that up to others.

Nice strong Staying type horses are what we are best at and we should be aiming at that pattern to continue. 

Jess ,

I am not referring to horses being locked up 24/7?

I am a great believer in hardfeeding our horses from day 1, we feed our broodmares hardfeed twice a day and they get to stay in nice paddocks, mares and foals run free.

It is very important  I agree as to how they are managed.

But kiwis are great horsemen and women and are themselves free spirits (most of the time lol) But we want to get back to what we are good at , I understand the mighty dollar has a part to play in all of this, but lets not go to far down the small short coupled type.

Jess ,

I am not referring to horses being locked up 24/7?

I am a great believer in hardfeeding our horses from day 1, we feed our broodmares hardfeed twice a day and they get to stay in nice paddocks, mares and foals run free.

It is very important  I agree as to how they are managed.

But kiwis are great horsemen and women and are themselves free spirits (most of the time lol) But we want to get back to what we are good at , I understand the mighty dollar has a part to play in all of this, but lets not go to far down the small short coupled type.

Hi Trakdap - yep I realise expanded the scope of your original post ... sorry if I subverted your thread!

I was just thinking about what I've seen of pressure-cooker yearling preps and how I enjoy - as one who sends nothing to yearling sales these days - to see mine grow up in 4-5 acre paddocks.  Like you - I hard-feed through-out - although pasture is their main source of nutrition when not in work.  But they grow at their own natural rate - are not rugged until after they're broken in (ie stabled) - and are not worked early (including walkers) if they're late maturing types.

I do know what you mean about types.  I was looking at one of my mares in the paddock the other day just before she returned to the racing stable.  Along wandered an old sage (very experienced and expert horseman) who commented on what a lovely old fashioned type of mare she is.  She is over 16.2hh - classic looking staying mare - with a lovely head. 

I think you'd approve of her Trakdap. Funny thing is - I bred her dam (a miler) to a sprinting stallion - and lo & behold - a stayer!!

One of the many things I love about breeding ... you never know.  You just never know ...

Kind regards

Jess

Would you agree that size and type of the breed changes with times? I recall in the USA that when Nasrullah reigned supreme the horses were larger in type but when Northern Dancer became prominent the population headed back toward just over 15 hands. Is size a necessary performance characteristic or just aesthetically pleasing to some? The fact and observation that our classic fillies of the past may have been larger seems of little relevance at all. If the current fillies are smaller but winning the same races, that would seem of most importance. My belief is that nature will ensure more size is bred back in to them when nature considers that to win the classic races they need more size - or different shaped heads - or longer legs - or different shaped hooves. 

Fashions change. but we certainly didn't breed with the intension of them doing well in pony club, but we are pleased they are.

I think some stallions/mares can produce throwbacks for want of a better word and if you breed, this happens.

But if you buy (at sales or privately) at least you have a choice and mine is not to buy "smalls".

Fashions change. but we certainly didn't breed with the intension of them doing well in pony club, but we are pleased they are.

I think some stallions/mares can produce throwbacks for want of a better word and if you breed, this happens.

But if you buy (at sales or privately) at least you have a choice and mine is not to buy "smalls".

I hear ya Trakd.- I have a slightly smaller than ave filly myself currently - smaller than both parents - with no apparent environmental reason for her height ... (about 15.1 or 15.2hh I guess ...) - very neatly put together tho' - we shall see..

And yes - given the choice and a magic wand - I'd have her a bit bigger.

Your post amused me tho' as from time to time I threaten her with pony club if she doesn't get it together on the track .. (she is unraced so far) I tell you this tho' - she'd be one of the best bred, prettiest pony clubbers at the grounds!!  Still hoping it doesn't come to that but like you, a good home for my cast-offs/retirees is impt to me ...