RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Prodigious

Harness Jewels change

JESUS WEPT.

So now we have Aussies coming over here to nick the best earning day for small owners in the country. Why, Why. Why.

Most stupid idiotic, lamebrained fiddling with what was a perfect concept.

Like changing the flavour of Coca Cola.

It wasn't broke.

Find another day to do that. Auckland Cup, New Zealand Cup.

The Jewels were our day in the sun.

The smaller owners who get feck all from the Breeders Crowns and Sales Sires Stakes nonsenses.

Geez I'm fecking ropable about this.

JESUS WEPT.

So now we have Aussies coming over here to nick the best earning day for small owners in the country. Why, Why. Why.

Most stupid idiotic, lamebrained fiddling with what was a perfect concept.

Like changing the flavour of Coca Cola.

It wasn't broke.

Find another day to do that. Auckland Cup, New Zealand Cup.

The Jewels were our day in the sun.

The smaller owners who get feck all from the Breeders Crowns and Sales Sires Stakes nonsenses.

Geez I'm fecking ropable about this.

Couldn't agree more mate. Ridiculous decision. The Jewels worked perfectly as they were and no changes needed except possibly having fewer runners in Cambridge finals due to small track. If the Aussies want to enter the Jewels they can by coming over early and race in New Zealand and try and qualify like Ross Payne did with his trotter. To have the top Australian horses get an invitation to race without racing in any qualifying events is a joke. Sad day for harness racing in this country, a giant step backwards. 

A few things popped into my head within 30 seconds of reading this.

1. I'll bet in return the Aussies will invite a Kiwi horse straight into each of the Breeders Crowns finals ..... yeah right!

2. The best aussies will no longer have any incentive to come over early and compete in the lead up features.

3. Bigger fields around Cambridge. That'll help everyone ...... said nobody ever!

4. What's next? Guarantee them a 1 to 4 barrier too?

So they want to internationalise the sport. Why on earth do they not actually look and see what works and doesn't work elsewhere. The Elitloppet is a great example please. A weekend of top racing. Invites aplenty but in a variety of open class races. Same all through Europe. But national age group races are sacrosanct. Why. So the people who breed and race get a chance for a decent payday. All over Europe they have national group races and International ones . But they keep them separate. If they want to invite Aussies have an open class race in conjunction with it. Have a mares race too. And a staying race. But leave the Jewels alone.

I couldn't agree less. It is diluting an already meagre prizepool for long suffering local owners and breeders. It is an absolute stupid decision with absolutely no value.

It's not going to bring any more punters - all it will do is to transfer a few dollars from one code to another from the same dwindling pool of punters, at the same betting sites. There will be NOT ONE extra punter brought in by this. NOT ONE.

We need to bring new punters in with products that offer far greater rewards - like they do in France and Sweden - a Quinte or a V75, where casual punters are drawn by the lure of a massive payday. But that is for a different debate.

We have a brilliant concept that has gone from strength to strength. And instead of finding something to supplement it, or to fill a gap in the calendar they are fiddling around with one of the few success stories in recent years.

Sires Stakes series don't work to bring extra punters to the track - they have no drawing power. The Australian Breeders Crown with one or two horses ambling around the track before a race meeting is a fair dinkum embarrassment. It is a disgrace.

But the Jewels, like Cup Day are winners.

Don't touch them.

When one thing works, and you want to replicate its success, you don't change the thing that works. You try and do something different. Like the AUssies did with the Great Southern Star. Great concept, well promoted. Genuine attempt at internationalisation.

Kiwi horses were invited because NZ trotters are the best in the Southern Hemisphere. No question. And it was an open- elite series.

But this is a flipping backward step, not forward.

Why the heck are we inviting Aussies here to cherry pick our only decent pay day on our national championship day.

It's madness. It's stupid. It's a disgrace and those who came up with this idea deserve to be sacked.

So it's okay for us to plunder their Breeders Crown, but not to allow a maximum of one Aussie per race into some of the fields?

Some of your claims, such as that it won't bring in even one single solitary punter, hold no weight as the claim contains no substance or evidence. You cannot possibly know that........ 

I don't believe, and this is only from my own perspective, that the Jewels has "gone from strength to strength". In fact I feel it's gone somewhat stale, especially at Cambridge where barrier draws virtually dictate all. And the depth of the fields, again from my own perspective, doesn't appear as strong as it once was. Are we perhaps selling too many of our good young horses overseas like our galloping counterparts? That has been forced upon owners and trainers by the sad state of the industry and poor leadership really, where the only way to not only make a buck, but survive, is to sell. That hardly ends up enhancing a concept like the Jewels, which really does need to lift the quality of the fields to retain the interest of the general public......once again, IMHO.    

Oh don't be ridiculous. You pay to get into the Breeders Crown, if you don't nominate your mare and yearling your stuffed - and then you have to pay acceptance fees - if you have 3 or 4 foals, it is a sh*tload of money - none of it is refundable. It is a deadset rort.

That's why you get 2 or 3 running around in NZ. And then you have to get them on the flight over there. Unless you are a big money owner, it's beyond most of the smaller guys. 

The Jewels is a championship concept based on prizemoney earned IN NZ. 

It is great for smaller owners and breeders - they get another pay day, and a chance for a big one. It means a lot to all the wee owner breeders out there.

The Jewels is the best day for us smaller breeders to get a crack at some big money, a decent time - and its a damn good day out.

Leave it alone.

Absolute ridiculous decision. Unbelieveable.

The one day local owners at all levels can race for good stakes and now we have invited competition stars.

Another cross for the already struglling owners to carry - why bother with the local industry when you get support like this

Diablolical decision

Just another kick in the nuts for the NZ owner and breeder. The only series available where there is a level playing field for all participants - and it is available to any owner, even foreign horses - if the owner wants to send the horse over and earn the necessary money.

Now we have the situation where after 6 months getting the money to qualify, they will invite the top Aussie horse in each grade to participate, so potentially 60% of the prize pool will go overseas. This is money that should be staying in NZ to support our own industry.

One has to wonder what is going on at HRNZ ? Enlighten me as to the benefits to the NZ industry of this move ? Lets forget about drug testing the horses and test the HRNZ exec instead.

A very poor decision indeed.  I have been lucky enough to have horses in the last 2 jewels - something you strive for as an ownerand has been the higlight of the season for me.  Just when I was already thinking of down-sizing my ownership - I either own or have shares in 12 horses due to lack of integrity in the industry this just convinces me more it is the correct decision.  If they come to New Zealand and qualify like our horses fair enough.  Like some one says you have to pay entry (a considerable sum) for the Breeders Crown

Another case of if it ain't broke - fix it!!!

I guess if I was a current owner or breeder, as many posters here obviously are, I may feel differently. As a harness fan that likes to see the very best whenever they come up against each other, the idea appeals. My thoughts don't mean I'm ridiculous; just coming from a different perspective, that's all.

very frustrated by this and like Holly (although we havent made the jewels yet) i am reconsidering my involvement in the industry.

This is just a kick in the guts for the grass roots.

following the poor decision on the 4 and 5yo race I wonder who is making these decisions.

Being invited...who pays for the horse to fly over to NZ.???? Or does an invitation include flights etc paid for by HRNZ..

Once again, you have to wonder who the hell makes these decisions... No wonder the harness industry in NZ is struggling. It was probably the same idiots that made the decision that combined the 4 & 5 year olds for one year.

It is really just the icing on the cake for me, I have lost all interest in racing here in NZ, there is too much bullshit and too much of 'WHO YOU ARE'...

So it's okay for us to plunder their Breeders Crown, but not to allow a maximum of one Aussie per race into some of the fields?

New Zealand owners pay to enter the Breeders Crown Sweepstake from a young age... It is funded by the entrants effectively.

Can't say the same for the Jewels...

New Zealand owners pay to enter the Breeders Crown Sweepstake from a young age... It is funded by the entrants effectively.

Can't say the same for the Jewels...

Yes, agreed, it is different in that respect. Apologies to all......

Maybe this is the New Zealand Brains Trust's way of thanking the Aussies for the import tax they recently slapped on all the kiwi horses entering Australia. They damage our export market, and we thank them by making it easier for them to get hold of our biggest prize money. I guess that makes sense in an HRNZ sort of a way - in other words, it makes no sense at all!

I would be interested to know if the board (representatives of the clubs) actually circularized the clubs to ascertain the feeling as to this change.    Or did they just act by themselves.     Yes, I appreciate that by being elected to the board they supposedly have the mandate to govern without having to continually refer back but I would think that anything major (which I would think changes to their flagship activity would certainly be) surely should not have been instituted without reference to the stakeholders.

I would be interested to know if the board (representatives of the clubs) actually circularized the clubs to ascertain the feeling as to this change.    Or did they just act by themselves.     Yes, I appreciate that by being elected to the board they supposedly have the mandate to govern without having to continually refer back but I would think that anything major (which I would think changes to their flagship activity would certainly be) surely should not have been instituted without reference to the stakeholders.

Think you know the answer Eljay - just incredible