RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Stakes Increases

Actually Japan is the biggest betting participant for jumping races. The UK is the most traditional one. You are so conventional and traditional its remarkable. That's not the way to think any further as that model does not work any longer. Anything wrong with having specific races at 8.30 in the morning for example? No doubt you'll poo poo that one but to be sure you don't misinterpret anything, that's not my cut and thrust. I'm simply stretching the envelope because like it or not, we're in dire straights. We have hit the point of convergence in this country where the number of mares being bred cannot sustain the racing we have in terms of numbers. This last happened in Germany, Italy and Spain. Many clubs went under and the RIB versions of those countries needed emergency bailouts to keep the turtles noses out of the water. We are heading down the same path if we don't watch it.

Just so happens I think winter galloping is shite. An organised conversion to cracking jumping wouldn't do us any harm.

We don't need to follow, we have to lead.

Thanks Berri but I do not need you to tell me how to think... opinions are like assholes everyone has one...mine just does not agree with yours... good luck with the crusade...it won't go anywhere...cheers.

There are many things wrong with NZ racing and until everyone stands up and unites nothing is going to happen... 

Here here Scooby, jumps racing is not the answer I am afraid.

I have said for many years, if the owners and trainers unite we are half a chance, but this won't happen. 

Trainers association is weak and poorly administered, no meetings called and we are forced with our licenses to be part if it.

It is almost like the secret squirrel society!

Broodmare numbers are falling rapidly, and horse numbers are going to be the next problem that strikes NZ racing, no horses, no racing.

With the act change that is meant to be put before parliament not looking likely before the election, the bill could be further away than what we think, more trouble on the horizon.

Glenda Hughes is not helping things, with her wanting to be in every camp, political appointments are not good for the Board in my opinion.

Anyway, sleep time, early start tomorrow!

I do love this industry, I sometimes  wonder if our leaders share my passion!

Latest on the Bill:

Hon David Bennett, Minister of Racing

We are intending to introduce the Racing Amendment Bill to the House of Representatives before the General Election. This Bill will make changes to the Racing Act to implement recommendations made by the Offshore Racing and Sports Betting Working Group, which was set up as a result of the racing industry calling for the Government to examine the issue of overseas internet sites taking bets on New Zealand events.  These companies make profits from bets on New Zealand racing and sports and from people in this country without making any financial contribution in return.

The new legislation will introduce two charges – an information charge and a consumption charge.

The information charge is similar to the system that has been established successfully in the so-called Race Fields Acts in Australia.  It will require offshore bookmakers to pay a charge for the New Zealand sporting and racing information they use in their betting products.

The consumption charge will apply to bets that offshore operators take from people in New Zealand.

It is an exciting progression for the racing industry to see this legislation come to fruition, and we are working hard to achieve the goal.

Designing legislation which has extra-territorial effect is not simple, but the drafting is well underway.  The Bill is expected to get its first reading in August, putting it on track to becoming part of New Zealand legislation next year at some time.

Guest 2Admin2

What happens if offshore agencies just don't bother offering betting on New Zealand races?

3 hours ago, hesi said:

Haven't kept up to date with this, but do other countries apply an information and consumption charge to offshore bookmakers.

You ask a good question Hesi. I must admit I am totally out of touch with this whole race fields concept. It would be interesting to hear from someone who really understands to whole situation to see if they can explain to us mere mortals exactly what is going on and exactly what the likely returns to the industry might be. I am afraid I have little faith in those who are claiming this will be the savour of NZ  Racing. Their skills in aspects of the industry that I do understand don't enthuse me enough to trust them in areas that I don't fully understand.