RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pogo

karrakka 2011

smart way to try to enlist some free assistance Pongo .... NOT.

Funniest post ever.

LOL

Zelda and Boris have cashed in their super and were looking for a hurdler, i was just trying to help.

I was sure the thread would be flooded by breeders with yearlings carrying Bolak, Lanfranco, Wharf, Oak Ridge or Gold and Ivory blood that would suit Warrnambool, Nar Nar Goon or Manangatang in the depths of winter....

I'll suggest they head to Inglis Summer Sale and pick up a sprinter instead....

If you're relying on breeders to self promote, then be prepared for an onslaught of self-marketers pushing their second rate stock.

Best way, as always, is to view the horse for yourself and be the judge. It's what NZ stayers are all about - how many good NZ stayers look that great on the page and attract buyers based on pedigree?? Not many I'd say!

Best way, as always, is to view the horse for yourself and be the judge. It's what NZ stayers are all about - how many good NZ stayers look that great on the page and attract buyers based on pedigree?? Not many I'd say!

But is pedigree not how they are selected for the sales catalogues?

What price range are you in ? (eg. if your pockets are deep then there are plenty of High Chaparrals and Zabeels)

If you are serious about a hurdler then you should talk to a good NZ jumps trainer to help you find something.

Funniest post ever.

LOL

Zelda and Boris have cashed in their super and were looking for a hurdler, i was just trying to help.

I was sure the thread would be flooded by breeders with yearlings carrying Bolak, Lanfranco, Wharf, Oak Ridge or Gold and Ivory blood that would suit Warrnambool, Nar Nar Goon or Manangatang in the depths of winter....

I'll suggest they head to Inglis Summer Sale and pick up a sprinter instead....

I love it how Bolak always gets a mention when Pogo posts on the breeding forum :D

Oak Ridge was a bit unfair though. If he had started off at one of the big studs he would have been a star...

But is pedigree not how they are selected for the sales catalogues?

Might be the 'best bred' thing in the catalogue, but if it looks like a muppet with its legs on sideways, is it likely to run fast? Not likely.

Pedigree only takes it so far ... look at SYT for example, very average family but a great type and performed accordingly (obviously had to inherit some ability from somewhere).

And no, pedigree isn't how they're selected for the sales. If they are not good types (with the exception of the big studs sneaking some average types in), then pedigree alone won't get them into Premier.

Might be the 'best bred' thing in the catalogue, but if it looks like a muppet with its legs on sideways, is it likely to run fast? Not likely.

Pedigree only takes it so far ... look at SYT for example, very average family but a great type and performed accordingly (obviously had to inherit some ability from somewhere).

And no, pedigree isn't how they're selected for the sales. If they are not good types (with the exception of the big studs sneaking some average types in), then pedigree alone won't get them into Premier.

I agree re Premier pedigree alone wont get them in (in most cases). But pedigree will stop nice types getting in. There is no way even an exceptional type colt will get into Premier without "pedigree".

Some very nice colts out of ordinary bred/unraced mares are put in festival

sale. So I would have to disagree with you on this point.

I agree re Premier pedigree alone wont get them in (in most cases). But pedigree will stop nice types getting in. There is no way even an exceptional type colt will get into Premier without "pedigree".

Some very nice colts out of ordinary bred/unraced mares are put in festival

sale. So I would have to disagree with you on this point.

Of course, that's a given. I was only referring to Premier level.

But it comes back to my point - you have to view the horse for yourself on type ... relying on pedigree alone won't get you a great horse. And that's why asking for people to recommend based purely on pedigree is not a great guide.

Of course, that's a given. I was only referring to Premier level.

But it comes back to my point - you have to view the horse for yourself on type ... relying on pedigree alone won't get you a great horse. And that's why asking for people to recommend based purely on pedigree is not a great guide.

Agreed,

So why don't the Aussies stay for the last of the sales? They may miss out on some very nice horses. Leaving agents (as some do) to do their "bidding" seems to me to be a bad decision. As you say getting someone elses recommendation is not always the right way.

Because there are loads of cheap nice types for sale here at home. Aussie trainers are more likely to wait till those lower level NZ sale yearlings are proven and buy them then.

Bit harsh saying So You Think has an average pedigree. His sire is a tough Gr1 winner, his dam was a Gr2 winner by a pretty decent sire in Tights. 2nd dam is stakes placed, and 3rd dam ran 4th in the WA Oaks.

Less than 5% of foals are out of stakes winning mares - so he's at the top of the pile in that sense.

Because there are loads of cheap nice types for sale here at home. Aussie trainers are more likely to wait till those lower level NZ sale yearlings are proven and buy them then.

But can those cheap nice types "Stay" or are they squibby sprinting types.

Also our "cheap stay at home types" seem to be able to cross the tasman and earn good dollars from your good staying races.

I was just wondering when your owners/trainers , if they are that good, are going to be able to choose these "cheap stay at home types" that are in the "lower sales" and become competitive at your staying races.

What price range are you in ? (eg. if your pockets are deep then there are plenty of High Chaparrals and Zabeels)

If you are serious about a hurdler then you should talk to a good NZ jumps trainer to help you find something.

just kidding about the hurdler mate, Zelda and Boris reckon $50k aus should get them something of bong bong or bedgerebong cup potential, so maybe select or festival yearlings may have to be the go......

remember boris worked on the pickle bottling plant and zelda is a former tea lady so they are on a budget !

They might get a not too bad filly out of

Premier at 50k but 80k would be better.

would probably be a first season sire for that tho.

Got to be black type not too far back or I wouldnt buy

Thanks Nerula.

Pogo

While I think Reng is right about buying proven horses I don't think you'll get much for your budget that way.

So if you look the Select and Festival then Trakdap's point is also important. Because of the time and cost involved with a stayer I'd be going for proven sires --- there are quite a few Pentires in the Select Sale , one Yamanin Vital , Golan ( under rated in my view). For the festival I really think you have to be at the sale to both look at the horse and these sales are are often very unpredictable.

just kidding about the hurdler mate, Zelda and Boris reckon $50k aus should get them something of bong bong or bedgerebong cup potential, so maybe select or festival yearlings may have to be the go......

remember boris worked on the pickle bottling plant and zelda is a former tea lady so they are on a budget !

......the Bong Bong Cup runnerup ran a slasher in town , so that race is obviously a good form race !!!

I'm sure my contacts can hook you up with a nice type for a small bundle of Aussie $'s.....saw some nice foals at Natadola today.

thanks for the assistance , i'm going to zelda and boris' friday for a xmas frosty so i'll pass on the recommendations.

zelda reckons she may open the purse strings after brisbane racing sat as her latest tea leaf readinds says ' a horse with scottich clouds and black mane is cherry's ripe".

talk about an early crow !

Lots number 1196, 1274, 1300, 1345, 1350, 1369, 1403, 1462, 1519

1196 ur kidding surely

1274 maybe

1300 joking surely

1345 maybe

1350 potential

1369 joking surely

1403 yes . this is a possibility

1462 potential bedgerebong

1519 pass...

appreciate your help, zelda sends her bets....best!

1196 ur kidding surely

1274 maybe

1300 joking surely

1345 maybe

1350 potential

1369 joking surely

1403 yes . this is a possibility

1462 potential bedgerebong

1519 pass...

appreciate your help, zelda sends her bets....best!

See what I mean???? How could you possibly take most of these suggestions seriously unless you inspect the horses in the flesh and inspect on type. For that reason, some to Karaka and check them out for yourself.

Only spend $10,000 it will cost them 30-40,000 to get it to the races, why not take a leaf out of the Melbourne Cup owners and go buy a gelding that has finished flat racing but would love to go jumping.