RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Happy Sunrise

Greyhound Trouble

Talk about the greyhounds being in the firing line. They must hope it will all pass over quickly like most news does in this day and age.

However, greyhound bosses need to be offering up press releases which clearly show the work they have been, and are currently doing to address all the issues raised by the report. Wonder if they can? Are they?

As for harness racing, I still believe it is low down on the hit list (Jumps racing must be packing themselves) but the new whip rule can be brought out as a proactive measure taken by the industry in an instant. A good example of something that can be used for a rainy day even though I believe it is being done for the right reasons anyway.

I am not saying harness racing is perfect, I wouldn't know as I am not 'in the game' as such but wondering what the dirty laundry of harness racing is?

Is there any?

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Talk about the greyhounds being in the firing line. They must hope it will all pass over quickly like most news does in this day and age.

However, greyhound bosses need to be offering up press releases which clearly show the work they have been, and are currently doing to address all the issues raised by the report. Wonder if they can? Are they?

As for harness racing, I still believe it is low down on the hit list (Jumps racing must be packing themselves) but the new whip rule can be brought out as a proactive measure taken by the industry in an instant. A good example of something that can be used for a rainy day even though I believe it is being done for the right reasons anyway.

I am not saying harness racing is perfect, I wouldn't know as I am not 'in the game' as such but wondering what the dirty laundry of harness racing is?

Is there any?

Think Harness NZ should,have done absolutely nothing about the whip.

Animal Rights had no issue with it and even it did rear its head sometime into,the future then it could’ve been modified.

With them changing the rules to the 10hits brought it out into the open as if there was a problem.

Out of sight out of mind as they say!

Anyway this has been debated to death and can’t be bothered with the few that like to have a go at “The Brodster” as I need to sort out the winners for this busy period, which I just love!

50 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Think Harness NZ should,have done absolutely nothing about the whip.

Animal Rights had no issue with it and even it did rear its head sometime into,the future then it could’ve been modified.

With them changing the rules to the 10hits brought it out into the open as if there was a problem.

Out of sight out of mind as they say!

Anyway this has been debated to death and can’t be bothered with the few that like to have a go at “The Brodster” as I need to sort out the winners for this busy period, which I just love!

Your right the whip issue has been done to death. I think the current predicament with the Greyhound industry shows the result of the bury your head in the sand approach. Much better to be proactive about welfare issues but that's just my two cents worth.  

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Anyway this has been debated to death

33 minutes ago, tonkatime said:

Your right the whip issue has been done to death.

Certainly has and I am not intending for it to be brought up again.

Anything that harness needs to clean up?

Does harness have an issue with horses who are past their use by date?

Just wondering as nothing obvious sticks out.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Certainly has and I am not intending for it to be brought up again.

Anything that harness needs to clean up?

Does harness have an issue with horses who are past their use by date?

Just wondering as nothing obvious sticks out.

The length of time & lack of transparency when investigating issues such as positives, and the perception of protection afforded to certain participants for mine.... 

There's always more that can be done to address wastage, but there are some fantastic rehoming groups and individuals doing a great job with finished horses so there are plenty of good examples out there. HRNZ and the breeders are getting beind events and starting to promote the life after racing message which is also positive. Of course not all horses (or dogs) are suitable for rehoming which is a hard pill to swallow for certain welfare groups.

I find the whole thing quite repulsive............. too many meetings , too many dogs , and definitely too much killing going on.

They seem to be hiding the truth behind the veil of poor records. Well bullshit to that, training and breeding records would easily allow authorities to quickly establish that hundreds of thousands have been euthanased over the years. All these participants are taxable operations so the information is there.

It's a bit like Europe's awareness of  Hitlers  "final solution " and the inaction wreaks of apathy , yet the TAB continue to cover racing and support it through Trackside coverage as if nothing is wrong.