RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Super Stable

Is this really a comp to pick 10 horses or just a comp to pick the winner of the NZ Cup?       The cup is worth $412,500 to the winner, so really if you haven't picked the Cup winner then you don't have a chance of winning the comp.      What do you people think - do you like this present format based on stakes, or the old Super Stable which was points based?     The present edition has been going for around 2 months and the leader has 179 thou.     In one fell swoop if he doesnt have the cup winner in his stable he plummets way down the rankings.      

Hi Eljay,

I have been in both competition formats and think either one is acceptable for me.

The previous one had bonus points based on group race status, along with bonus points for dividends on a section scale over $4.

My formula for the present competition, and what I attempted to anticipate, was to have runners in as many of the big races on Cup day as possible, but hoping to have more runners racing on 31st December at Alexandra Park, when all stakes for the competition are doubled. Consequently, I have three of my stable who have not raced yet, and hoping all going well they will be racing on 31st December. Think I have live chances in two of the three big stakes races on cup day, so hoping they will get some decent dollars for my stable. Time will tell.

Just a reminder, we can change up to two of our stable between the 3rd and 4th November if we so wish.

Cheers.

Robert

Having the trade window before the Cup is an odd decision. Takes a lot of foresight out of it. It should have been the week after the cup.

There is no point at all being at the top of the leaderboard at the moment. Most of those people will have Christen Me. Imagine if he is scratched!! A large portion of entries will be out the window.

You have to win the NZ Cup, Auckland Cup, 3 year old races and the Dominion. A long way to go yet. The double points aspect of Auckland is enormous. Like Double R most of my horses haven't hit the track yet or only had one race.

Agree Happy.

Would make a lot more sense if the trading period was after the Cup, especially this year, when the Interdominions start at the end of November. Never mind, I am sure we will cope.

Pre Trading before the Cup is really disappointing.

You would be gutted if you have Smolda already in your picks.

Christen Me - 466 entries, rated 10. Smolda - 20 entries, rated 8. How many will dump Christen Me next week?

A similar situation is Sheemon. People will let him go for the lower rated One Over Da Moon or the equal rated Master Lavros.

I do love the Super Stable,but I do wish that they went back to how it used to be run..with bonus points etc.Not a massive fan of how it's run now,but I will keep entering the comp as I do love the game,but just wish that they didn't change the format.

On 30/10/2015, 09:00:33, Swede said:

The trading window keeps more folk in the game for longer. Next week I get the chance to swap Saveapatrol for another cup contender.  

Injury to a horse is part of the luck of the competition.

I find it difficult that participants who had Christen Me can now change their main choice for the cup to any other horse they want, even after the draw is complete! Not fair to those who were brave enough to take original outsiders like Messini etc.

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I find it difficult that participants who had Christen Me can now change their main choice for the cup to any other horse they want, even after the draw is complete! Not fair to those who were brave enough to take original outsiders like Messini etc.

But those who opted for Messini over Christen Me were also able to choose, say, Stent rather than Uncas, or Lazarus instead of Motu Premier.  So it's swings and roundabouts to some extent, especially as everybody knew in advance they'd have the option to change their stable prior to cup day (well, almost everybody---I somehow missed that vital bit of info!)

I take the point though that basing it on stakes won turns it into a pick-the-cup-winner competition.  Everything else is a bit player.

Anyway, the replacement option doesn't do much for my stable.  Four of my original choices have been exported, and I can only replace two of them.  O me miserum, as Royal Ascot's latin teacher would say...:P

17 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

So i take it that you didnt change any in your super stable then Happy Sunrise.Because it would not have been fair.

7 hours ago, richie said:

So i take it that you didnt change any in your super stable then Happy Sunrise.Because it would not have been fair.

I didn't have Christen Me. I don't get what you saying.

My main point is the trade window should be after Cup Week..

Talking of fairness.....You said Christen Me's 'work was huge in the last week' on Wednesday 28th of October. His trainer in an interview conducted late Monday after the Flying Stakes on the box seat said the opposite about Christen Me.  What was your motivation for this misinformation?

Very fair point Happy. I have traded Christen Me for Sky Major.

I think no trades at all would be a better condition for the competition, as it is fair for all entrants then. In the meantime, we just have to work to the current conditions that prevail now.

Good luck to all on Tuesday.

Robert

On 11/4/2015, 6:24:17, Happy Sunrise said:

52 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I didn't have Christen Me. I don't get what you saying.

My main point is the trade window should be after Cup Week..

Talking of fairness.....You said Christen Me's 'work was huge in the last week' on Wednesday 28th of October. His trainer in an interview conducted late Monday after the Flying Stakes on the box seat said the opposite about Christen Me.  What was your motivation for this misinformation?

I was just going by what one of the commentators said on Trackside Radio.Cant remember who it was but said "The TAB have just had a thousand dollar bet on Christen Me from within the stable and by all accounts has worked huge"

My question to you is did you swap any horses in the Super Stable to improve your chances.