RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GONSTA

Zebidiah unable to make 3 C5 fields???

You have got to laugh at the South Island selection policy when you have Zebidiah getting reserved out of 3 C5 sprints on Thursday. A winner of 22 out of 40 starts at the track with 10 minor placings.

Can someone give me a sensible reasoning for this? Do we not want the best dogs running against each other? Don't make me compare the other runners credentials vs Zebidiah because it wouldn't be pretty for the others!

Does he have poor recent form.

great example.

nz oaks heats meeting at christchurch.

c5 sprint

dixie lee had form of 1 1 1 1 4

And was only 29d reserve, because every other dog in the field had placed last start

take from thedogs under club selection policy

CHRISTCHURCH GREYHOUND RACING CLUB

Greyhounds are allocated points for their last four starts using the following tables

Last 2 Starts

Totalisator    Placing  Points allocated

1st

10  2nd  8   3rd  7   4th  5   5th  4  6th  3  7th  2  8th  1

Non Tote                Starters  8  7  6  5  4 3  2  Place 1st  8 points  7  6  5  5  5  5  Place 2nd  7  6  5  4  3  3  3  Place 3rd  6  5  4  3  2  2    Place 4th  5  4  3  2  1      Place 5th  4  3  2  1        Place 6th  3  2  1          Place 7th  2  1            Place 8th  1            

3rd and 4th starts back

Totalisator    Placing  Points allocated  1st  7  2nd  6  3rd  5  4th  3  5th  2  6th  1  7th    8th  

Non Tote                Starters  8  7  6  5  4 3  2  Place 1st  6 points  5  4  4  3  3  2  Place 2nd  5  4  3  2  1  1    Place 3rd  4  3  2  1        Place 4th  2  2  1          Place 5th  1  1            Place 6th                Place 7th                Place 8th              

RULES
• Qualifying trial form provided by the NZGRA shall be treated as a non-tote run for point's purposes
• If a greyhound has not had 4 starts, it receives 3 points per start until it has been allocated points for 4 starts
• Points are allocated on the last 4 starts in the distance that the greyhound was nominated for. Ie sprint 0-600m, Distance 601m & over
• Australian imports receive points on the same basis. Ie Their last 4 starts in Australia
• Downgraded greyhounds receive 18 points. Points apply only until greyhound has its 1st downgraded tote start. Points do not apply to restricted age races or greyhounds being nominated out of grade. 18 points still apply when nominations close before first downgraded start
• A greyhound recorded as fallen has that start disregarded for point's purposes
• When points are equal the greyhound with the higher points last start, then 2 last start, 3 last etc shall have preference. When two or more greyhounds are still equal and there are not enough remaining places in a field, the clubs selection panel will choose by ballot
• Restricted races are selected by highest grade but this points system will be used to separate greyhounds of the same grade when required
• When equal points (12) at distance debut, highest sprint grade gets preference. When sprint grades have the same points scored last start, 2nd last start etc apply
• When combining grades the highest points scorers in the lower grade to be combined will be placed in the higher grade race.
• Totalisator points are scored irrespective of the number of starters in the race. Non tote points are scored dependant on starters

hence the last 2 misses leaves him with less points than others or they are guarantee starters. 

You CANNOT blame it on recent form compared to the other dogs in the field's!!! I simply cannot understand HOW he doesn't make either of the fields with the quality of the other dogs in their...

So someone please tell me how NUMEROUS dogs that haven't won a C5 race, one that hasn't won in C5 for 20 months, still make the field over Zebidiah? Is this some sort of joke? Is it not common sense to start at the top and work your way down? As a greyhound punter, fan, owner I want to see the best dogs running around. Whoever is responsible for this decision needs to get a clue and should be accountable.

I feel disgusted in decisions like this that make absolutely no sense and its not even a big deal, just a joke IMO. Brighten up Addington.

Lol, the idea of selection criteria is to remove discretion, if fields where all picked like that YOU would be creating 20 threads a week about dogs YOU thought should be in fields.

I would have thought the ideal selection criteria to try and generate the most amount of turnover ( that is what we want isn't it? ) would be to select the best possible fields out of the dogs nominated? There are 3 C5 races on Thursday and the 2nd,3rd best / most competitive sprinter cannot gain a start. You cannot reward mediocrity and IMO that's what they are doing. Ludicrous.

REILLYM . so if I have a dog, that has just won a c4 race, but in a 17:60 at chch, and there are 10 dogs that have won a c5 race in better than 17:30 but hasnt got the best form, are you saying I shouldnt ever get a run because the other dogs are obviously better?

the selection criteria is for the majority of the lps, and it will effect everyone sooner or later for the worse part. But. Its just the way it works, and any concerns regarding selection criteria should be written formally and presented to the christchurch board for discussion, and possible resolution afterwards.

ranting on here wont do jack.

Lol, the idea of selection criteria is to remove discretion, if fields where all picked like that YOU would be creating 20 threads a week about dogs YOU thought should be in fields.

I agree Sheepshaw, I think there has to be a selection criteria.  

Whilst I also agree with ReillyM that you sometimes get very odd situations like this with Zebediah arising, it would open a massive can of worms to make selections discretionary.

Just to contradict you slightly, ReillyM, I would suspect that there are a number of races (particularly C5 sprints) where the turnover would be better if the best dog in the field wasn't there.  Over the past couple of years the majority of C5 sprints in NZ have had red hot favourites - such being the way that in form sprinters often just win start after start after start. 

REILLYM . so if I have a dog, that has just won a c4 race, but in a 17:60 at chch, and there are 10 dogs that have won a c5 race in better than 17:30 but hasnt got the best form, are you saying I shouldnt ever get a run because the other dogs are obviously better?

I have nothing against progressive C4 dogs getting a start. Most are unproven and obviously deserve a chance. I have a problem with mediocre dogs that are going to open up $51 fixed making the field, while greyhound fans miss out on seeing one of the most exciting sprinters racing.

If anyone can explain to me how a few of these dogs can be selected over Zebidiah.

1.) Jackson Cat who hasn't won a C5 race since June 2011, who has been beaten in her last 27 attempts at C5, who has been beaten by Zebidiah the last 2 races they have met. Both have similar last start form?

2.) Gazza's Pride who hasn't won in 19 attempts in C5 at the track and who has terrible last start form?

3.) Princely Dollar who hasn't won in his last 13 attempts in C5 at Addington who also has terrible recent form?

Some fair points made on here and I understand its tough for some dogs to get runs, the solution isn't always easy but rewarding mediocrity isn't the best idea.

Those dog's have a start as they are guaranteed starters, that is they have nominated for the previous 2 meetings and not got a start, so they have fairly got a start, they can't just sit in their kennel's forever because they have had a couple of misses. This will always happen in Canterbury due to the fact we have so many dogs and just not enough races, north island trainers don't realise how lucky they are.

Those dog's have a start as they are guaranteed starters, that is they have nominated for the previous 2 meetings and not got a start, so they have fairly got a start, they can't just sit in their kennel's forever because they have had a couple of misses. This will always happen in Canterbury due to the fact we have so many dogs and just not enough races, north island trainers don't realise how lucky they are.

Good on ya mate, thought there must be some 'logical' reason. Cheers for the reply, Luke. Go the missile.

Fair point.  The answer then would seem to be more races in the south though I'm sure this has been covered on here before.

Fair point. The answer then would seem to be more races in the south though I'm sure this has been covered on here before.

Even more mixed C4/C5 race's with dogs running out C4 noms with dogs with bad last start form, so we don't miss the oppourtunity of watching the industry's superstars. After all that is why we love greyhound racing and the way to get more people involved... Rozo, Tan, Clark brought him for $2k in aus!!! Darned good story.

I do feel sorry for you trainers down south aswell. Keep up the good work trainers and keep fighting for what is right.

Also I've always wondered why they don't hold 2 greyhound meetings on a Sunday, it happens every now and then, seems logical to me to start Addington at 12ish and Auckland around their normal time of 2.30 / 3ish.

Would love that.  Obviously Saturday is 'Gallops' day but with a lot of people not working it makes sense if you could fit it into the TAB timetable.  Certainly has more interest than any aussie racing(all 3 codes).

Agree there. Addington on a sunday also? Or even otago when invercargill is racing the tuesday and vice versa.

whats the turnover like when this happens?

is it viable?

$1.01 it would generate 10-20% more turnover than a Monday,Tuesday.... Surely?

Mmm, one thing that has got to me on Mondays is the gap between NZ greyhound races(almost always Palmerston North).  Having to wait over half an hour between races for the last half of the meeting doesn't encourage you to watch.  I can understand it for example on a Friday night when there's lots of racing on.  The other thing is the dogs don't require a longer gap like Gallops/Harness do.  I know this was looked at a few years ago but maybe needs sorting again.