RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
chiknsmack

Best of Days

Would Best of Days be a stallion prospect for NZ? He's a Godolphin horse, a Gr. 2 winner at 2 over 1600m (like his sire Azamour), didn't do all that much in the NH as a 3yo but as a NH 4yo he's come down here to win the Coongy (Gr. 3, 2000m) and Cantala (Gr. 1, 1600m).

He's by Azamour - who threw a handful of Gr. 1 winners and stood for a season at Brighthill - from a High Chaparral mare, from a King's Best mare from, a Shirley Heights mare. He's 3m x 4m Northern Dancer, 4f x 4f Darshaan, and 5m x 5m, 4f Shirley Heights.

The knock would be that his female family is pretty light (it's not a Godolphin family); there's a stakeswinning 3/4 brother under the second dam but not much else.

He didn't do enough in the NH for Darley to be super excited about standing him up there, and he's not the type of horse that Australians look to breed to. There's the Brighthill Farm connection through them standing his sire. A few NZ studs stand Darley horses here too; Complacent, Contributer (in a similar situation to Best of Days; didn't do much up north but won a Gr. 1 mile in Australia), Telperion, Iffraaj, Sweynesse (?).

I'm a big fan of Lear Fan (Azamour's damsire) and Shirley Heights, and liked Azamour when he was here. Would it be reasonable for a NZ stud to secure him, even if only on a "If he proves himself he's off to Oz" deal, a la Coolmore with Montjeu and High Chap? Would he be supported by NZ breeders?

I would hope most breeders would appreciate the strength and depth genotype esp. Shirley Heights. Get your point on maternal but feel its slight to the quality strains elsewhere.

I think its a sire pedigree which will punch above its weight but kind of wonder will NZ breeding get enthusiasm about getting back on track to staying quality. I would hope so buts its a long haul admittedly.

Another factor in the pedigree is King's Best. His sire Kingmambo is Cross Counter (GB) - broodmare Sire. King's Best dam Allegretta, dam of Urban Sea, dam of Galileo.

International lines staring you in the face.

Azamour dam breeding, same female family The Autumn Sun!! (Redoutes Choice)

So many crosses working with Sadlers Wells/Danehill but I also see the pedigree fits many places elsewhere.

All best with your decision making. TBL

https://thethoroughbredlink.com/2018/10/01/genus-reflects-the-autumn-sun/

I think we need to get into this sort of blood but we also need to have our racing programes altered to suit the stayer more and train them to running a trip earlier. Not be afraid to put horses over ground at 2 and 3 years old. He looks ideal type to me.