RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
bblunt

Ashes

Wow what a day of cricket.Aussie foolishly wasteing their 2 referrals ,especially 1 that a blind man could see, and then haveing none left when they got an Umpiring howler.Never mind happened in Oz innings when Agar should have been out for 6 but TV umpire couldnt see replay angle for some reason and went back to umpires call.

Aussie were well behind when it happened anyway then compounded it when they dropped Bell. 

The poms have this test in their hands now and only the Aussies getting a few quick wickets or a poor bowling performance by England will see them beaten

The best team won. If Aussie want to keep relying on No.11's saving them well thats all and good. Their top 5 are a joke. Starc has to be dropped - severely over rated. Steve the myth Smith just cemented his spot for the series - happy days for the England bowlers!

Anderson was superb and Swan must have lost count of the French cuts off his bowling.

England 4-0. Coach Lehmann might need to chuck on the pads.

Those Aussie No.11's were unreal. 123 runs between them over the two innings.

Couple of things though

- 2nd Test starts on Thursday - I just wonder how well Anderson will have recovered after that long spell (having said that they'll probably ask Broad to step up

- I wasn't happy with the way the game ended. That Third Umpire usage needs to be looked at. I'm starting to become a supporter of India's attitude (No third umpire)

Hang on let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. More correct decisions were made through appropriate use of DRS. There was one shocker and that was the overturn of Trott's LBW by Erasmus. Broad's was a shocker which could've been overturned if Clarke hadn't made a hash of his earlier referrals. Haddin was out and if that hadn't been overturned, there's a good chance Aussie would have won. DRS ensured the correct decision was made.

If the third umpire could overturn any and every decision, teams would put pressure on the umpire to have a look at everything which would slow down the game to a crawl

The problem for me with the Third Umpire in cricket and the TMO in Rugby is that they have removed the spontaneous elation from the the game. For the players, the crowd and those viewing on TV.

Everyone stands around while we watch 10 or more replays searching for the smallest hint of a white hot spot or a slight knock on at a ruck way, back on the half way. The right decision might be made, but the moment has passed from the players to the technology. Officialdom has now excessively encroached and is suffocating the passion out of the sport/s 

I am now a convert to the cause of "Removal of all technology" from the games I am passionate about. (If there is such a cause???....if not I am starting one).

You're right Hesi in that it wouldn't take long for the Broad decision to be made. Risk is tho that teams will know the umpire can check and so every time there's a hint of an edge or a possible LBW teams will pressure the umpire to check it.

Personally I think the current system is good and if it had been used better by Clarke we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Uriah? Oh come on! Takes away the spontaneous elation? The moment? The buzz? The vibe? The feng shui? Never picked you for a Murray Mexted type. Don't we want the right decisions made? For mine, it adds to the buzz:) Haddin's decision was an edge of your seater. Epic!

No I can't stand it. I need immediate gratification (or disappointment). I am one of those kids from the experiment where they put one lolly in front of them and say "If you don't eat it now, in one minute you will get two lollies", I scoffed that one lolly straight down every time. 

That sums it up for me. I want my lollies on the spot. No dithering. The Umpire either puts his finger up or keeps it down, just like he did for 100 years and we all celebrate (Immediately).

Uriah Heap

Founding (and currently only) member of - The Society for the Removal of Oll Technology (ROOT)

Good when minnows put up a bit of a fight. DRS drama again. Khawaja missed it, referred it, no hotspot, no deviation, hit his pad but still given out by 3rd ump. Poor umpiring, not poor technology

Personally I think the current system is good 

But clearly the modern technology is not good Blunt.

It's flawed and it stuffs up the spontaneous elation; the moment; the buzz; the vibe the feng shui. 

ROOT

And here we go again with Peiterson last night Blunt. Flawed. 

And what about the winning try scored by Robinson against  the Brumbies. Don't tell me that the Referee not awarding the try immediately didn't take away the elation we used to feel when a match winning try was scored. Instead it is now replaced by a nervous wait and a "Thank god for that" when the try is finally awarded.

James Anderson won't be playing tonight according to Twitter. Obviously Australia's best chance to win and worth a nibble h2h before day 1

Anderson's in, twitter's a nonce :)  Cook gets a ton or two. Poms hammer them.

So many good decisions made with DRS in this test. Though making Tony Hill look like a bit of an amateur. Hard to fathom why they dropped Billy Bowden. Bit of a dick but a very good umpire.

Extraordinary to think there are only 4 umpires available for the 10 Ashes tests and 3 are involved in every game. Neutral umpires are unnecessary in modern sport, especially with technology like DRS.

Signed: President of OHILTDRS (Oh how I love the DRS)

And here we go again with Peiterson last night Blunt. Flawed. 

And what about the winning try scored by Robinson against  the Brumbies. Don't tell me that the Referee not awarding the try immediately didn't take away the elation we used to feel when a match winning try was scored. Instead it is now replaced by a nervous wait and a "Thank god for that" when the try is finally awarded.

Good point for rugby. I tend to agree. In test cricket, which runs at a somewhat less frenetic pace, it's perfect. It actually adds to the excitement, the intrigue, the feng shui, the game itself. Cricket evolves and this is a natural and appropriate improvement

I see Freddy Flintoff (looking very scholarly in his glasses) is a fully signed up member of ROOT.

He was on the Tele this week saying give all decisions back to the Umpire.

Although clearly they would have to get better Umps than Tony Hill. He is an embarrassment to NZ cricket.

I collected on England to win the series at $1.42. In hindsight it seems the easiest money I shall make all year and as usual, following a collect, I'm left wondering why I didn't have more on them.