RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Chris Wood

Winston Peters

Could you enlighten us at to which other primary industries are not privately owned, or are you proposing that racing is in fact privatised?

Whatever it takes to improve the racing and make it viable for owners trainers etc. and improve its image in the eyes of the public to get more invovlement, we should be happy with.

Extending that should clubs have a rated status based on self sufficiency and collateral revenue streams, and should we be dedicating our limited resources to the clubs that have shown they can develop alternative income streams and that have a sustainable business model that will ensure their prosperity?

Above.

Maybe this should be in another thread but:

In trying to interest the people I meet in Racing a horse, sending it to a good trainer etc. I nearly always get the reply , " I want to invest my money, not throw it away" which makes me think that the racing of a horse is thought of as a recreational product, where IMHO it should be marketed as an Investment Opportunity. With the selling/racing of our stock overseas and with more money invested in our stakes here this could be a positive step.

'

Why can we not sell it as an investment oppotunity??

Some actually make (or have made) a good living from this Industry, If they can do it why not others? It may mean a shift in the way we have been doing things.

We all have something to offer. Ideas are what are going to get us out of the mess we are in. Unfortunately , the way the general public perceive the Industry is not good and we have to change that.

So argueing among ourselves is defeating the purpose.

Good luck with your meeting after the RTR . I wish I could attend.

Thanks for the info re Winston meeting at Cambridge Chris Wood

The responses on this site exemplify what is wrong with racing in N.Z..

For example Sherriff uses his "authority" to ridicule anyone who has a contrary opinion to his own..

Winston gave your industry a ray of hope during his time as Minister. It was extinguished by those who only had their own interests in mind. As far as million dollar races were concerned everyone had their opportunity to take part. It was not Winston`s fault if the Aussies came over and took away the spoils. We would have done the same to them. See the Melborne Cup now for example with overseas successes..

One only has to look at the reception that Winston got at many of the country clubs. Dargaville was typical. Too many have only their own interests in mind here on RC and the nationwide welfare of your sport comes a distant second. Under this government the industry has gone backward

faster than at any time since the 1940s. Who is the present Minister of Racing. Few of you will be able to name him. His tenure has been so insignificant. Yet you delight in denigrating those who support Winston...Thank you again Chris Wood for standing up

The attitude of many on this site to Winston Peters shows just how small minded many are. Here was a guy not only interested in the industry but canvassed from within the industry for some remedies. He did what he could but as many have said no one has come anywhere near him before or after. Heralded at the time as the best thing since sliced bread - when he slips from favour as the result of an unwarranted wholesale public denigration and some here just stick the boot in. The remarks are snide and uncalled for.Surely there is a dearth of such folk within the industry at the moment that this behaviour should continue. Get in and give him a hand. A greens supported coalition on one hand or the Act involvement on the other side the industry - take your pick. Seems that these options spell curtains for the industry for the next 3 years

If Racing keeps going downhill in the next three years like it has in the last three years, There will be no way back.

Winston is the only pollie with the Kahuna's to at least try and help racing.

PARTY VOTE NZ FIRST.

If Racing keeps going downhill in the next three years like it has in the last three years, There will be no way back.

Winston is the only pollie with the Kahuna's to at least try and help racing.

PARTY VOTE NZ FIRST.

Cargo Cultist!

The man himself got a decent 'cheer' when strolling across the grass embankment at Dargaville yesterday. Mind you, it was later into the afternoon, and the majority of punters had had a few.

Dargaville?? That's where most the town are unemployed and don't need to vote as they get their benefits regardless. His meeting in whangarei drew 100 onlookers, 20 of which were media - and it made the front page of the Northland daily paper.

Miles away from 5%.

Dargaville?? That's where most the town are unemployed and don't need to vote as they get their benefits regardless. His meeting in whangarei drew 100 onlookers, 20 of which were media - and it made the front page of the Northland daily paper.

Miles away from 5%.

this tea cup nonsense is right up his street to "wow" the folk

Miles away from 5%.

Poll shock: Winston within a whisker

By Audrey Young

5:30 AM Friday Nov 18, 2011 SCCZEN_A_11112011NZHNSWINSTON1_220x147.JPG

Winston Peters has been making political capital from the Banks-Key taped conversation controversy. Photo / Natalie Slade

New Zealand First leader Winston Peters is rising from the political grave and is within a whisker of returning to Parliament and possibly holding the balance of power.

The latest Herald-DigiPoll survey shows his party on 4.9 per cent support, just short of the 5 per cent threshold required to have MPs in Parliament without winning an electorate seat.

The 1.2 percentage-point jump gives the party its highest rating this election campaign.

If the poll were translated into votes, New Zealand First would not be in Parliament and National would be able to just govern on its own, with a small cushion of two votes from Act and one from United Future - assuming the Maori Party, United Future and Mana keep their seats.

But in a horror scenario for National - and one that is not far-fetched - small movements in numbers could have big consequences.

The poll shows the number of undecided voters is up to 12.7 per cent.

If Labour lost just 0.1 per cent to New Zealand First, and Act lost Epsom, Act would be out of Parliament, and National and United Future would not have a majority.

Mr Peters would return to Parliament leading a team of six MPs, including former North Shore Mayor Andrew Williams and former TV weatherman Brendan Horan.

If Mr Peters kept his word - given on November 6 - not to support National or Labour, then National and United Future could govern with 62 votes - five more than the 57 Labour could muster with the Greens, the Maori Party and Mana.

But if Mr Peters broke his word, Labour would be able to form a Government with the support of New Zealand First, the Greens, the Maori Party and Mana - although Labour leader Phil Goff has said he would not work with Mana.

Then, National would need the support (or abstention) of the Maori Party, the Greens or New Zealand First to be confident of the numbers to govern.

The Maori Party could be the party with the balance of power if the Greens and New Zealand First opposed National on confidence and supply.

In September 2005, Mr Peters said in a speech that New Zealand First would not be part of any coalition government, that he did not care about the "baubles" of office, and that his party would sit on the cross benches and give confidence-and-supply support to the largest party.

It subsequently entered a confidence-and-supply deal with Labour under which Mr Peters became Foreign Minister.

He and New Zealand First were voted out in 2008 after two donations scandals.

Labour's election policy to gradually lift the superannuation age from 65 to 67 may have contributed to Mr Peters' earlier rise in the polls.

But since Sunday he has made daily capital over the recording of a conversation between Prime Minister John Key and Act Epsom candidate John Banks a week ago, the subject of a complaint by Mr Key to the police.

Support for most other parties in the poll remained steady over the past week, with National on 49.89 per cent (up 0.4), Labour 29.1 (up 0.4), Greens 12.6 (no change), Act 1.7 (up 0.2), Maori Party 0.7 (up 0.2), Conservatives 0.6 (down 0.4), Mana Party 0.4 (down 0.4), and United Future 0.1 (down 0.6).

Support for Mr Peters as preferred prime minister is up from 4.3 per cent to 5.5 per cent.

* The poll of 750 voters was taken between last Thursday and Wednesday this week. The party vote figure is of decided voters and 12.7 per cent of respondents were undecided.

The poll has a margin of error of 3.6 per cent.

By Audrey Young

(Quote Leggy)The latest Herald-DigiPoll survey shows his party on 4.9 per cent support, just short of the 5 per cent threshold required to have MPs in Parliament without winning an electorate seat.

This is with a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4%. Ppppffffff......................

You are kidding? If 5% of NZ voters are that way inclined after all that has gone on in the past, then I'll be Forked.

So you happy for assetts an farms to be sold to overseas interests.Do u believe that is going to improve NZ racing with income raised from proposed sales,as I suspect they will get zilch from them.

Guest 2Admin2
So you happy for assetts an farms to be sold to overseas interests.Do u believe that is going to improve NZ racing with income raised from proposed sales,as I suspect they will get zilch from them.

Wake up! We live in a global economy. Research how many assets New Zealander's own overseas. In any case if someone from overseas owns New Zealand property that earns revenue they pay taxes in NZ.

(Quote Leggy)The latest Herald-DigiPoll survey shows his party on 4.9 per cent support, just short of the 5 per cent threshold required to have MPs in Parliament without winning an electorate seat.

This is with a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4%. Ppppffffff......................

You are quoting Audrey Young, not me. I can't help it if journalists don't understand that any shift in the polls that falls within the margin of error is not a shift. All I did was to post the article.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people support Winston.

But I guess when you think about he targets the elderly, and other groups such as the racing industry where the followers are of more advanced years.

Why does he do this??

Simple, these are the groups with the highest likelihood of old timers disease,where a lot of people cant remember what happened this morning, let alone all the crap that Winston has got up to in his years in politics.

My advice to you is if you are going to vote for him get the initials FWIT stencilled on your forehead so we will know who to blame if he gets 5%

When your only choices are thus.

A bloody Liar.

The gaggle of Goff

A bunch of mamby pamby tree huggers.

Two old B's who have been around more times than a Whirling Bros merry-go-round.

A couple of racist party's

And Winston.

None of them inspire me with any confidence for the 3 years ahead, but hang about.........the world is going to end in 13 months anyway.

Far out man, lets all take a toke.

PARTY VOTE AOTEAROA CANNABIS PARTY

Surprise poll results no shock for a defiant Winston

Last updated 05:00 20/11/2011

6000210.jpg ANDY JACKSON

NOT SURPRISED: Winston Peters says his rise in the polls is not unexpected. 'We know our hard slog has worked.'

Forget Phil Goff, John Key, and the "teapot" tapes

Simple, these are the groups with the highest likelihood of old timers disease,where a lot of people cant remember what happened this morning, let alone all the crap that Winston has got up to in his years in politics.

Can you remember who said this crap.

"We will not increase GST"

"We will not touch Kiwisaver"

"We will stop raising the IQ of Australia"

Just as an aside, I wonder how many of the 100,000 that have left NZ for Australia in the last 3 years were racehorse owners/breeders. We all know the trainers who have bailed.

Well done John Key & cronies, give yourself a pay rise.