RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
DC7

Plastic Waka

What a complete waste of taxpayers' money,a plastic waka for a plastic race,and probably being made in China for a few hundred dollars.

The money should be used for useful things like Health or Education not in appeasing some Maori demand;and to be given now when government is talking cutbacks etc - the mind boggles.It's almost enough to make me vote for another party (but not quite)

Was watching parliament and apparently its because Pita Sharples popularity is not high in the Ngati Whatua area,and its the biggest hapu in his electorate National has funded it to try and raise his standing so he will still be there to back them after the next election !! The old story, you scratch my back etc etc ...... I think they are worried the Maori party may not retain some of their seats at the next election.

Cheers Archie

Forgot to add, its costing $1.9 million.bloody expensive waka. Bill english was going on spounting some crap about raising New Zealands profile during the rugby world cup. a lot of money seeing I reckon New Zealand will not even make the final !! I think its more about the election following along later he is worried about

Cheers Archie

Maybe a bright side to this farcical decision is that it could be used on the Thames for Queen Bett's jubilee.

What? It actually works?? I thought it was an oversized cornflake packet toy.

Was watching parliament and apparently its because Pita Sharples popularity is not high in the Ngati Whatua area,and its the biggest hapu in his electorate National has funded it to try and raise his standing so he will still be there to back them after the next election !! The old story, you scratch my back etc etc ...... I think they are worried the Maori party may not retain some of their seats at the next election.

Cheers Archie

That's part of it all right. Shane Jones according to recent polling is closing the gap rapidly on Sharples and looking like a very winnable candidate.

The other thing is that having allowed the very thing they (the Maori Party) criticise previous such events as doing - failing to adequately showcase Maori culture etc - they realise they are heading down the same path again but this time they will cop the blame and be held accountable for it being part of the govt that is involved. So they have come up with this at the last minute to rescue them politically from such accusations by their own supporters.

Furthermore it smacks of favouritism and elitism when there are many other iwi in the Auckland region besides Ngati Whatua who could and should have been involved if such a project was to be successful. It also smacks of tokenism, the very thing Maori have been fighting against for years.

Promotion of Maori heritage and culture should always be part of any major national or international event hosted here or when NZ is showcased overseas. But it should be integrated and woven into the overall picture, and involve all the iwi that wish to be; not added on at the last minute as an afterthought because it was almost overlooked and almost ghettoising Maoridom with a last minute hastily thought out sideshow and adjunct.

I'm no fan of Rodney Hide and ACT but his "blankets and beads" comments resonated on that aspect of the issue.

There is a lot wrong with this project but focusing on the cost is a red herring. As Sharples points out it is but a drop in the bucket compared to the overall budget and an alternative would not have cost much less if any.

To argue that the money should be spent on health etc is equally pointless as the spending in health, social security budgets etc would also be a drop in the ocean. Following that argument it would be more effective to argue for the cancelling of the entire world Cup project as the millions saved there might have a very small impact on health and other social service budgets. But that's not a viable argument either.

The compelling arguments are the ones mentioned - political expediency to save the Maori party and its leader, playing favourites with certain iwi, tokenism, the risk that it could become another tacky sop and insult to Maoridom etc because of the rushed, ad hoc and tacked on nature of it.

Why is it so important to 'showcase Maori culture' at the World Cup? It is a sporting event. If I went to a World Cup in Britain, I wouldn't be chomping at the bit to see Morris Dancing before the games and stuff like that. If it interests you, you can find it, if it doesn't then it shouldn't be foisted on you.

(thanks to TOW payouts !!) about $30m,today they are worth $260m with a portfolio including Assorted Businesses,Commercial Property/Land,Rental Properties,Apartment Blocks etc.etc.

If they want to put the money up for a Waka on "their" land well and good but don't come to the Government with alsorts of bulls hit and sales type talk looking for a few million bucks,that type of money would be well spent to help Christchurch disaster relief projects.

(thanks to TOW payouts !!) about $30m,today they are worth $260m with a portfolio including Assorted Businesses,Commercial Property/Land,Rental Properties,Apartment Blocks etc.etc.

If they want to put the money up for a Waka on "their" land well and good but don't come to the Government with alsorts of bulls hit and sales type talk looking for a few million bucks,that type of money would be well spent to help Christchurch disaster relief projects.

$30 million into $250m, not bad. They probably would not have achieved this without a bit of bulls hit and sales type talk.

I'm not sure how accurate SS's figures are, Rooboy, but, hell, if the NZRB had been as successful with funds under their management in the past two decades, the Racing Industry would be in clover, lol...

There's a lot of short-sighted people out there: a small outlay (especially compared to the total RWC budget) that focuses on one of the few things that has New Zealand different to other countries ... where's the harm?

And those folk bemoaning the plasticity of the proposed model would, doubtless, be the first to scream 'they're still living in the stone ages' if the model had been of a traditional marae building, dull red painting, flax-matted, tongue-poking figures and all...

Do some research and see for yourself.

Yeah right properman just keep on giving them (Maori) cheques for nothing aye bro the Government has plenty aye cuzzie, he he he!! but not for the upgrade of many school,hospital/healthcare equipment, etc.etc.

I know of 2 schools in my area alone who aren't able to get funding for essentials which amount to $50-70k in total.

$30 million into $250m, not bad. They probably would not have achieved this without a bit of bulls hit and sales type talk.
is that Maori Aristocricy only pay 17% Tax while the rest of all us mugs pay pretty much double that.

$36 million on a Pakeha Waka...where are ALL you slappers now!!!

You mean the one that actually floats and will be doing something useful?

Wasn't aware that it was an exclusively European endeavour, I always thought it was TEAM NEW ZEALAND (all of it).

Why is it so important to 'showcase Maori culture' at the World Cup? It is a sporting event. If I went to a World Cup in Britain, I wouldn't be chomping at the bit to see Morris Dancing before the games and stuff like that. If it interests you, you can find it, if it doesn't then it shouldn't be foisted on you.

Yeah right!!!

$36 million on a Pakeha Waka...where are ALL you slappers now!!!

....and when the RWC LOSES a projected $500 mil, are the Tangata Whenua prepared to weather their share of this? Now that IS a Tui moment.!!

....and when the RWC LOSES a projected $500 mil, are the Tangata Whenua prepared to weather their share of this? Now that IS a Tui moment.!!

Nice to blame a Minority Race for ALL the Pakeha Failures...Show me where maoris control Rugby or sailing .... Nowhere Blue...We stand on the sidelines , getting piss-all as always...

Nice to blame a Minority Race for ALL the Pakeha Failures...Show me where maoris control Rugby or sailing .... Nowhere Blue...We stand on the sidelines , getting piss-all as always...

Come on Jack, you can't say Maori don't have an interest in rugby. They're only a minority race when it suits them. They were happy to accept a big handout for a plastic boat but if it don't float there's no way they'd pay for the buckets to bail it out. Seems a bit one-sided to me.