RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest mrmmhh

weanling buyers

Guest mrmmhh

What do you knowledgable people think the weanling sales will bring? Usually I am seeing adds wanting weanlings to buy and adds whating to sell but the media has been quiet or am I looking in the wrong place?

What do you knowledgable people think the weanling sales will bring? Usually I am seeing adds wanting weanlings to buy and adds whating to sell but the media has been quiet or am I looking in the wrong place?

We are offering three genuine colts all of our colt foals that year .. as need cash flow. One is a full brother to Phantom Storm that has won 2 out of his last 3 races and unlucky in the other. The others all well related so phone or email for more info ....

07 856 3629 mob 027 3362233 or email davone.lodge@xtra.co.nz

There are 100's of weanling fillies in the May catalogue. I imagine that this year's sale will be at least as bad as 2010. When you factor in the entry fee and the sale commission an opening bid of at least $800 is required to break even discounting entirely service fee, preparation costs etc. Some stud masters are refunding service fees on fillies. Can the auctioneers NZ Bloodstock be persuaded to waive entry fees on those fillies that sell for less than $500?

We bought 5 weanling fillies last year all at $100 each. We didn't go looking to buy, but it seemed silly not to.

Planning to go back again this year as it doesn't look like the market will have improved.

But it's not just TB's in this position. The sport horse market is also very flat.

The catalogue is about 80? horses smaller than last year......there will be some bargains....and the usual crap in amongst the good stuff....a great opportunity for buyers and a bit risky for sellers, but that happens every year.....

We bought 5 weanling fillies last year all at $100 each. We didn't go looking to buy, but it seemed silly not to.

Planning to go back again this year as it doesn't look like the market will have improved.

But it's not just TB's in this position. The sport horse market is also very flat.

There was talk that "nobody wants fillies" sat the yearling sales. Someone will have done some figures on the ratio but there seemed to be a lot of colts passed in there too. An advantage given the time factor buying a weanling as opposed to high cost of stallion fees then not getting the sex you want (no that wasn't a joke) but then if you can get a yearling for a couple of grand then that's probably even better value. I've been harness for a long time but have thought more than once of doing what Liz has done. Ironically it would probably cost more to get them home than to buy.

There was talk that "nobody wants fillies" sat the yearling sales. Someone will have done some figures on the ratio but there seemed to be a lot of colts passed in there too. An advantage given the time factor buying a weanling as opposed to high cost of stallion fees then not getting the sex you want (no that wasn't a joke) but then if you can get a yearling for a couple of grand then that's probably even better value. I've been harness for a long time but have thought more than once of doing what Liz has done. Ironically it would probably cost more to get them home than to buy.

If you own some land of your own it might be worth taking a punt on making money off a $100 weanling - eventually. FORGET it if you're paying grazing etc...

You're right re transport!! It cost more than double the purchase price to get the fillies home. But no regrets about buying them - incl the stunning now 2yo Keep the Faith filly also for $100.

Since we bought the girls, several now have better looking pedigrees, with siblings now old enough to race - winning.

At least with fillies you always have options if they get injured....

Oh & this year.....we're taking our own truck!

At least with fillies you always have options if they get injured....(Quote Ruahine)

True, but to some extent breeders are the authors of their own "bad luck". I note a lot of youngsters for sale with three generations of unraced mares behind them and precious little else in which case they're hardly worth the entry fee so even at $100 the buyer is taking a punt too.

At least with fillies you always have options if they get injured....(Quote Ruahine)

True, but to some extent breeders are the authors of their own "bad luck". I note a lot of youngsters for sale with three generations of unraced mares behind them and precious little else in which case they're hardly worth the entry fee so even at $100 the buyer is taking a punt too.

Agree with you Blue about the three generations of unraced mares.....and that won't change unless people are prepared to keep & race fillies.....

As for taking a punt at $100....most horses are a punt regardless of price. But if they're well conformed & good natured you can't go too wrong, even if they're too slow as race horses.

You're right re transport!! It cost more than double the purchase price to get the fillies home. But no regrets about buying them - incl the stunning now 2yo Keep the Faith filly also for $100.

Since we bought the girls, several now have better looking pedigrees, with siblings now old enough to race - winning.

At least with fillies you always have options if they get injured....

Oh & this year.....we're taking our own truck!

Good for you Liz. Hope they turn out well and you make some money on them. As you say, at $100 if they're not badly conformed and you can graze them cheaply.... why not?

I just haven't got the cheap grazing option...

had a look at the catalogue,there certainly some mares there that if half brothers/sisters go on with there racing careers,they could be very good buying.