RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest Bruce M

Maurice McKendry....All Tiger

Guest Bruce M

I see that McKendry was fined $500 for attempting to push out on He's My Hero and causing the white hot favourite All Tiger to break hopelessly.

The horse was disqualified from fourth as well.

Surely this deserved a suspension.It makes you wonder what a driver has to do to get suspended.

I'm not talking through my pocket as $1.20 shots don't get any of my money.

good point bruce.

however in my opinion, it shouldnt matter what the horse was paying. It is irrelevant if the horse is paying $22 or $1.20.....

I dont think there should be a suspension for pushing out in the manor in which Maurie Mac did so! The fine is a suitable penalty.

I'd suggest the penalty of a $500 fine was probably fair, maybe even a tad harsh. The pushing was pretty soft, and 99 out of 100 horses pushed in that manner would not have galloped. The fact that the 1 in 100 that did gallop was a red hot favourite just makes it look worst than it actually was

What wais totally unfair though, is the incident that lead to the pushing, not even rating a mention in the stipes report, even though it was more blatant, and the major cause of the later incident.

Earlier in the straight Tony Herlihy on Flem N Em, crudely pushing He's My Hero down the track, causing him to lose the position that he was later trying to reclaim when All Tiger broke.

For mine, Herlihy's move was more dangerous, more illegal, and the cause of the whole incident. Yet the stipes either didn't see it, or didn't think it was worth a mention.

If I was Maurice McKendry, I'd have left the course feeling a bit peeved last night.

If I was Tony Herlihy, I'd have left the course feeling extremely fortunate last night.

With you 100% on that Greystroke. Maurice McK was only trying to hold his place 1 off the rail and looked as though David Butcher on All Tiger was doing just what Herlihy had done moments before on Flem N Em.

i agree with the 2 above. i considered it to be competitive driving and most other horses would not have galloped like that. for if u want to scrap over being 2nd last and last thats what you get. did butcher really need to try push back in? maurie mac hard done by

i agree with the 2 above. i considered it to be competitive driving and most other horses would not have galloped like that. for if u want to scrap over being 2nd last and last thats what you get. did butcher really need to try push back in? maurie mac hard done by

Hard done by.Get real if anybody but Maurie done that would have been a suspension and if happened in Oz would have been 3 weeks.Might be a bloody good bloke but the way he was trying to push out i think most horses would have galloped.So Greystroke you think because Herlihy pushes him down he got a right to push somebody else out.I am talking through my pocket as would have had the pick 6 if All Tiger had of won so it potentially cost me alot more than it cost Maurie.Same thing happened to me last week 2 with Ricky May only getting 300 fine.This is one of the the reason my betting dollars has gone from 100% harness to now, 20% harness ,10% dogs, 30% sport and 40% gallops.Interesting to note that when looking, after Rickys misdemeanor

that no drivers were under suspension at that time but 8 jockeys were.Harness needs tougher penalties.Look at cycling if Renshaw was driving a horse he would have got a fine going by last 2 weeks

Tend to agree. Both appeared to be getting into the one out line at the same time and it seemed to me they actually locked wheels for a second which would have caused AT to break. Competitive driving if you ask me. Plenty of worse things happen seemingly un-noticed or un-punished and probably acted on due to AT being the hot pot.

Butcher was at least as big a contributor to his horse galloping as McKendry was. If anything Bucher was pushing down the track more aggressively than McKendry was pushing out.

Meanwhile Herlihy carried on his merry way after triggering the whole incident!

In the final analysis, what the hell was Butcher doing arguing about a contentious spot at the back of the field when he's on a stinking hot favourite, and a 3 wide cart up had just been presented to him?

Richie, if you want to blame someone for losing your money, blame Butcher. He should never have put his horse in the position it was in. When you're on a horse who's that much better than the rest, your job is simply to keep them out of trouble - not go looking for it!

I heard that All Tiger was getting over Absceses so may have still been a little tender and this could have been a factor in his breaking.
All the more reason to keep the horse out of trouble. I thought Butchers tactics at the time of the incident were a bit silly, but if the horse was just getting over abcesses, then they were down right stupid.

I'll bet Butcher didn't offer up this snippet of information at the enquiry!

Re:.... but if the horse was just getting over abcesses, then they were down right stupid.

I'll bet Butcher didn't offer up this snippet of information at the enquiry!

.....or to the betting public before the race.

The horse suffered from an abcess several weeks or maybe even a month ago in the week leading up to the race where he was scratched (of 50m or so). As far as i'm aware he hadn't suffered any more problems since his dominant win the week prior

Butcher was at least as big a contributor to his horse galloping as McKendry was. If anything Bucher was pushing down the track more aggressively than McKendry was pushing out.

Meanwhile Herlihy carried on his merry way after triggering the whole incident!

In the final analysis, what the hell was Butcher doing arguing about a contentious spot at the back of the field when he's on a stinking hot favourite, and a 3 wide cart up had just been presented to him?

Richie, if you want to blame someone for losing your money, blame Butcher. He should never have put his horse in the position it was in. When you're on a horse who's that much better than the rest, your job is simply to keep them out of trouble - not go looking for it!

What the hell was Butcher doing dicking around at the back of the field on the stinking hot favourite. He had a chance to get a drag up 3 wide but chose not too.

The horse suffered from an abcess several weeks or maybe even a month ago in the week leading up to the race where he was scratched (of 50m or so). As far as i'm aware he hadn't suffered any more problems since his dominant win the week prior

That is correct the abscess problem has been and gone and i cant beleive that so many posters are trying to blame Small and Butcher for what was a poor bit of decision making by Maurie.Personally i thought he got off light for what was a blatant attempt to push out.But i am talking through my pocket.Know what he would have got in Aussie but then again N.Z. penaltys have always been weak for the top drivers

Stroker will jump on Small/Butcher whenever he can - it his thing in life. AGH did a perfectly legal manoeuvre which was aided by a horse leaving the 1-1. MMK's was not end of story. Whether Butcher should have moved and not fought is irrelevant and I am sure he(Butcher) is more qualified about what was right to do than the tossers on here trying to "tall poppy" him. I do not even know the guy personally and actually didn't think much of his driving but he has certainly done the job over the past 5 - 6 years - so credit where credit is due.

But then again Gay stroke is more qualified than all of us - or so he would have us believe.

Stroker will jump on Small/Butcher whenever he can - it his thing in life. AGH did a perfectly legal manoeuvre which was aided by a horse leaving the 1-1. MMK's was not end of story. Whether Butcher should have moved and not fought is irrelevant and I am sure he(Butcher) is more qualified about what was right to do than the tossers on here trying to "tall poppy" him. I do not even know the guy personally and actually didn't think much of his driving but he has certainly done the job over the past 5 - 6 years - so credit where credit is due.

But then again Gay stroke is more qualified than all of us - or so he would have us believe.

You're right about two things Spikecity, and two things only. I'm not especially a fan of Butchers driving, and I flat out, just don't like Small. Known him since the heady days of National Bloodstock, and my opinion of the man has steadily declined ever since. You'll notice I said "of the man", as opposed to his training ability.

That said, where did I mention him in this thread?

Yes, I was critical of Butchers drive on a red hot favourite - but I'm not an orphan there, it was very ordinary!

I also said Herlihy was the main instigator of the incident, and that McKendry was himself a victim of unfair driving. McKendry was unlucky to be the only driver held accountable for the incident, and was subsequently harshly treated.

I'm not alone in thinking that the stipes got it wrong, Herlihy got lucky, Butcher messed up, and McKendry was unlucky to be the one that got hung out to dry.

PS. Probably lost on you Spikecity, but you may have noticed my intelligent and dignified reply to you comments. No name calling, or anything so childish. You might want to try it sometime. Best of luck with your reply.

PS. Probably lost on you Spikecity, but you may have noticed my intelligent and dignified reply to you comments.

was a good reply but the yarns started flowing rapidly at the intelligent part! haha

I anchored him in Pick 6 and got the other 5 legs :mad:
You'd have been pleased to see him getting involved in a petty battle at the back of the field, when the main goal was to be in front a lap later. Sometimes it's better to lose the battles, and win the war!

All Tiger won was the enquiry battle alright, but that didn't do the punters, yourself included, any good.

was a good reply but the yarns started flowing rapidly at the intelligent part! haha
Ok, I'll stick to just "dignified" then. Afer all, I don't want to go setting the bar too high for Spikecity.

Ok we will just have to tell Butcher to call you for advice before he steps onto the track - seeing as you know what he should have been doing. Oh and the stipes to tell them how they got it all wrong.
I don't think there'd be any shortage of people prepared to tell him that his drive on All Tiger wasn't exactly one for the scrapbook.

As for the stipes, I've run into both competent and incompetent stipes, but I've never come across one yet that was prepared to admit he got it wrong. So they could watch the replay of that race a thousand times, and never admit that anyone other than McKendry put a foot wrong. They know when they get it wrong, but outside of a court of law, they'll never admit it. An admirable quality in the mafia, but doesn't help to endear thenselves with the people they have to work with everyday - the licenceholders.

But on a much more important matter. I'm glad to see that you've conquered your urge for name-calling. Makes for a much more dignified debate. I'm sure you'd agree.