RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ADM

Why do we do it?

We have horese in training (don't get me wrong trainers deserve there fee) we pay training fees and can't visit our horse on race days, our nom fees have gone up, scratching fees and jockey fees gone up (Jockeys deserved the increase), stakes have gone down and the TAB are making a good profit.

What other sports work this way where the supplier of product is the one that carries the losses.

I suppose it is character building.

It is a weird industry. Punters bet despite knowing they will lose a lot of money. Owners buy horses despite knowing their chance of having a winner, let alone a profitable horse, is small. Trainers and jockeys seem to earn a pittance. And many clubs depend on volunteers to keep going.

Why do we all do it?

Presumably for the lottery effect - we all hope we will be the exception and we will make some big bucks despite the odds. And while we are waiting for this to happen, we keep doing it cos it is fun.

Cam

Why do we all do it?

Presumably for the lottery effect - we all hope we will be the exception and we will make some big bucks despite the odds. And while we are waiting for this to happen, we keep doing it cos it is fun.

Cam

Bang on there. Its the hope (dream) that we may have a big win and make our lives a bit more comfortable with some cash.

We have horese in training (don't get me wrong trainers deserve there fee) we pay training fees and can't visit our horse on race days, our nom fees have gone up, scratching fees and jockey fees gone up (Jockeys deserved the increase), stakes have gone down and the TAB are making a good profit.

What other sports work this way where the supplier of product is the one that carries the losses.

I suppose it is character building.

and take up golf or boating instead. Ooops, just realized that the only problem with that is that (a) golf and boating also cost a lot and (B) how do you get to own a Darci Brahma or a Mufhasa or Black Caviar or a So You Think by being a golfer or a

boatie????

I agree there is more chance of me owning a top horse than becoming a professional golfer and as history has shown you don't have to spend the big dollars to get one.

It would just be nice if cost to return was a little better.

As has been said, it is the HOPE and DREAM that we are all chasing.

I agree there is more chance of me owning a top horse than becoming a professional golfer and as history has shown you don't have to spend the big dollars to get one.

It would just be nice if cost to return was a little better.

As has been said, it is the HOPE and DREAM that we are all chasing.

Cannot disagree- why don't you consider coming on board one of the Fortuna Syndicates. That way, you may well finish up with a horse racing in Singapore. Singapore Turf Club pays out more in total by way of prize money than the total cost of ownership to owners. Unsure of NZ figure, but I think it is around 30% of the total. Certainly improves the odds doesn't it?

it is certainly something we will consider when our current horse finishes, she is have a last campaign now.

Thing about Singapore, ADM, is that if you have a horse that is "handy" without being a top liner, you can more than pay your way. I had a quick look at the runners in a Class 3 event up there from last Sunday night. You have 5 year olds that have been up there for a bit over a year, typically had somewhere between 18 and 25 starts for 3 or 4 wins and have won in excess of $200k. And yet, not really good enough to go up another grade. At least that allows the owners to cash-flow themselves into another horse that may be the next champion.

Here in NZ, the "handy" type is only running for the pictures on the wall.

..the sacks of Kumeras've gone as Well as free:kiss:racing

boy..this's subtle what's been goin' on 'Ere . . .somet'in' Ain't Riight..'bout them there zecutieves

..puttin' on a lotta Weight there some of 'em [b'rrrp:eek:]

now i Know money trickels Up ..to corporates...b't Weird shape'n'All, how th'Hell trick did they do That:(