RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
abit roughhouse

2010 Stella Artois Auckland Cup Group 1

Should we read anything into the fact that Noel Harris is on Seaflyte and not Six O'Clock News or have I missed something?

The connections opted for a change of rider a little while ago so James McDonald has been with Six O'Clock News for this preparation.

Yeah, struck me as strange too mate - I couldn't have him.

And then I thought of a horse I rode work occasionally which Trev & Sticko trained, called Flying Luskin]

Now that I think more about it, I suppose it's quite similar to a son of Montjeu (Tavistock) winning two of our top 1400m races in the same season.

No wonder this breeding game is so confusing! :]

Race 9 - 17:50 - STELLA ARTOIS AUCKLAND CUP OPEN GROUP I 3200 m

Stake: $1,000,000 Track: GOOD3 Weather: FINE

# Name Jockey/Driver/Trainer Win Place

1 Zavite Damien Oliver 4.70 2.10

13 Booming Glen Boss 3.20

19 Tin Goose Trudy Thornton 20.30

Bet Type Runners Dividend

Quinella 1, 13 21.00

Trifecta 1:13:19 2649.10

First4 1:13:19:2 38037.00

Jackpot:

First4 Carry Forward $20920.36 Next First4

ALSO RAN:

2-Spin Around-Vinnie Colgan(5L),

15-Minqar Qaim-Sam Spratt(5.3L),

7-Young Centaur-Michael Coleman(5.6L),

8-Six O'Clock News-James McDonald (a)(6L),

16-Bakup-Lisa Allpress(7.6L),

10-Fazza-Kelly Myers(8.2L),

5-Willy Smith-Michael Walker(8.3L),

9-Tinseltown-Craig Grylls(8.4L),

6-Manonamission-Opie Bosson(11.6L),

4-Everbright-Michael Rodd(11.6L),

18-Seaflyte-Noel Harris(16.9L),

3-Mandela-Mark Zahra(18.6L),

11-Zabene-Leith Innes(29.2L),

17-Grand Affair-Allan Peard(81.4L),

14-Heza Karma Karzi-Craig Williams(90.4L).

Note: Numbers shown are the distance from winner in lengths.

Winning Margins: 3-1/4L, 1-1/2L, 1/2L

Owners: A Blood, K Falconer, Mr G Clare & Ms J L Clare, Mr K S Ince

Trainer: Anthony Cummings, Randwick

Breeding: 7 h Zabeel-Miss Vita (USA)

Scratched: 12-Passchendaele, 20-Elbaz, 21-Nazabeel.

SUB: 1

Winners Time: 3:18.96

What a great sight to see the top weight win the Auckland Cup. What can you say about Spin Around? (what an honest horse). Very happy with Booming's run. The Pentire mare Tin Goose was the one that surprised me at $20 for a place. (How did people overlook her breeding)?

Heza Karma Karzi looked great BUT the breeding said it all - stuffed at the mile and a half.

I can't believe I tipped Beautiful Girl in the Darley Plate to someone and didn't back her. Vonusti proved that he is indeed a very good 1200 metre horse no matter the conditions.

Another highlight for me was seeing

'Boots' ride Zeytin at $53. Good on you Mark.

And..... before I forget "Thanks ARC for sorting out the music" It was wonderful not to have it competing with the racing chatter.

It was another good days racing. Beats working - Thanks :)

Good ride by Ollie,he seemed too have a nice hold of him thruout the race,and then let him loose at the right time,and he was far too good.And i agree with what Alan said....the best horse,the best ride,and the best jock inthe world...got the choccys.

He sat back and was trucking forward at the 800. Made our lot look pathetic. Booming came out with credit but Tin Goose running 3rd says it all.

We either dont have decent 3200m horses here or they dont start.

Is this race an anachronism?

He sat back and was trucking forward at the 800. Made our lot look pathetic. Booming came out with credit but Tin Goose running 3rd says it all.

I don't agree that he made our lot look pathetic. Yes it was a excellent run on the day. Did you see last years Melbourne Cup?

So what does it say about Tin Goose? I understand she has the breeding for staying and one commentator said, based on breeding, he was surprised Tin Goose, at $20 for the place, slipped under the radar and paid so much.

Many fine stayers in the past have paid long odds in 3200m races. For example, what price did Battle Heights pay when he was placed in the 1974 Auckland Cup?

I'm not a fan of the Auckland Cup and after Prize's Lady's walk to the post to win her second cup in some unbelievably slow time have dismissed it as a staying test.

BUT good on Zavite - nice run and fast time.

Is it a Gr 1 race though? If that was the Wellington Cup field then those in charge would justify the Wgtn Cup being kept as a Group 2 race.

I'm not a fan of the Auckland Cup and after Prize's Lady's walk to the post to win her second cup in some unbelievably slow time have dismissed it as a staying test.

BUT good on Zavite - nice run and fast time.

Is it a Gr 1 race though? If that was the Wellington Cup field then those in charge would justify the Wgtn Cup being kept as a Group 2 race.

Yep for sure.

I don't think ANY handicap should be Grp 1...that's just my opinion of course...these should be races for the most elite horses, and handicap racing, by it's very nature, does not necessarily cater for these.

Zavite, far too good, but..last 600 in 36se - , while sound, is not spectacular. No doubt he had some up his sleeve, he was in no way extended, but... where were the challengers?

This sort of sectional should be well within the capability of any horse considered up to Grp 1 standard.

I have to agree with earlier posters, either our horses are substandard, or for some reason the best ones just weren't there.

Yep for sure.

I don't think ANY handicap should be Grp 1...that's just my opinion of course...these should be races for the most elite horses, and handicap racing, by it's very nature, does not necessarily cater for these.

Zavite, far too good, but..last 600 in 36se - , while sound, is not spectacular. No doubt he had some up his sleeve, he was in no way extended, but... where were the challengers?

This sort of sectional should be well within the capability of any horse considered up to Grp 1 standard.

Freda - point taken - but the last 600 time was more than sound - the previous 2400m time of 2:42 was far more telling! 3:18 was a very respectable time around Ellerslie and one of the quicker Auckland Cups in recent years from my memory. I don't recall too many going under 3:20 in recent times. Can anyone confirm that...??

Freda - point taken - but the last 600 time was more than sound - the previous 2400m time of 2:42 was far more telling! 3:18 was a very respectable time around Ellerslie and one of the quicker Auckland Cups in recent years from my memory. I don't recall too many going under 3:20 in recent times. Can anyone confirm that...??

3.18 was a good time and the best Stayer won. Apart from a couple of New Zealand horses that ran on... the rest could not handle that type of staying event due to the type of racing that has evolved in NZ lately. ie: stack them up and sprint home. That has killed our true stayers imho! ( along with the demise of the truest staying race - Wellington Cup 3200m )

Sorry - I just read that again and realised that I left the field stranded at the furlong pole! Of course, it should have read the previous 2600m time of 2:42 was far more telling....

And yes, I agree - on the face of it our "prime" staying talent was 'weighed and found to be badly wanting"...