RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
smoken up

Any Excuses???

Is this the worst/embarrassing result in New Zealand sporting history. A 4 nil loss to Bangladesh at cricket. Name a worse result. All Blacks losing to the Junior All Blacks in 1973 perhaps?

Is this the worst/embarrassing result in New Zealand sporting history. A 4 nil loss to Bangladesh at cricket. Name a worse result. All Blacks losing to the Junior All Blacks in 1973 perhaps?

Out of context i think you're right. But... and i'll draw all my long bows here in defence.

We hadn't played any cricket for ages

We missed all our warm-up matches

It was in Bangladesh with pitches that suited them

We got close in the last two

We're an unsettled team trying new players and combinations

This series is totally irrelevant to anything of a global nature - those rankings are fickle at best

Bangladesh are on the up with some real talent and it was only a matter of time until they started to show it.

umm.. a worse result you say... this is a meaningless series whereas the rugby 07 rugby wc was the grail. The quarter-final loss was absolutely pitiful considering its importance and what all the lead-in matches suggested.

But out of context and looking in the record books, you're right.. not pretty reading

1973 was pretty bad too...

That year the England rugby team came here for a four-game tour:

1 September ... Lost to Taranaki 3-6

5 September ... Lost to Wellington 16-25

8 September ... Lost to Canterbury 12-19

15 September ... Beat New Zealand 16-10 (Eden Park)

:eek:

I considered the Rugby World Cup loses, but thought, although they cut deeply, they only one off loses to top flight rugby nations. I thought the 5 Test defeats in a row by the All Blacks in 1998 may be a better candidate to rival this latest debacle.

As an aside, I note our one day ranking is now 7. Are we still ahead of Bangladesh? If we are they'd have reason to be pretty miffed, sitting behind a bunch of bunnies like the Black Caps.

I considered the Rugby World Cup loses, but thought, although they cut deeply, they only one off loses to top flight rugby nations. I thought the 5 Test defeats in a row by the All Blacks in 1998 may be a better candidate to rival this latest debacle.

As an aside, I note our one day ranking is now 7. Are we still ahead of Bangladesh? If we are they'd have reason to be pretty miffed, sitting behind a bunch of bunnies like the Black Caps.

Bangladesh are now ahead of the West Indies, And they aren't far behind New Zealand.

Soon a 4-nil loss to Bangladesh won't be considered an embarassment. They won't be a minnow for too much longer.

Soon a 4-nil loss to Bangladesh won't be considered an embarassment. They won't be a minnow for too much longer.

very true. used to be part of India, then Pakistan, taking a while to find its feet. 160million people, not much money but like their neighbours, a passion for cricket. Will be tough to beat at home from now on.

still, a shame it had to be us that put them on the map. As for worse NZ sporting efforts, those which have sprung to mind have by and large been.. ahem...(whisper).. cricket

I hear that Vettori is offering to give up the captaincy if that is what the Board thinks should happen

Rather than give up the captaincy I believe he should immediately be taken off the selection panel. It appears he has the final say on everything to do with this team which is what he wanted. So we can assume he has been responsible for some ordinary selecton decisions in recent times culminating in having a team laden with medium to medium fast bowlers in Bangladesh ,where surprise surprise they were outplayed,and outwitted by a team full of spin bowlers.

if you find one-day results tough to take (i don't really give a toss about them or 20-20s) brace yourselves..

Nov 4-8. 1st Test: India v New Zealand at Ahmedabad. :e:

I can't wait. NZ the absolute underdog paying $10 plus for the win. It'll be the upset of the century. Plucky Kiwi boys hauling themselves off the canvas to defeat the worlds top ranked Test side.

Start planning the ticker tape parade now.

prop don't you go all paul henry on us throwing all teams on the sub-continent into that boudoir of debauchery. speaking of france, best you get over there smartish and put a solidarity-arm around Nicky Sarkozy to encourage him to put the retirement age up to 70 not bleeding 62 pffft

speaking of france, best you get over there smartish and put a solidarity-arm around Nicky Sarkozy to encourage him to put the retirement age up to 70 not bleeding 62 pffft

Yep, I was astonished that the current level is 60!

The French have major problems ahead, I fear...

They're going to come under intense government budgetary pressures due to the high levels of pension and medical costs they have promised their retiring boomers.

Quite simply, the Sarkozy Government can