RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
bestbets

Radio Coverage

For some time I have been  totally frustrated by the coverage of the AM frequency within the Auckland area with over 1 million population we are given pre historic frequency.

I have never seen this been mention on this site before. Is this just a problem I find myself having For example if I go to Sky City to play poker I can take my radio in to listen to the races but unless I sit at a certain table in a certain spot then the coverage is so bad that I can't hear the races and tune into the FM frequency where I never have a problem picking up any station.

My work van I use most days is the same the further south or north I travel then the channel fades to the point I no longer listen, in the inner city same applies. My portable radio at home has trouble hearing the channel clearly.

On Saturday I went to Kerikeri  as we got closer to Whangarei I found the racing channel and it was on the FM frequency and as we travel north out of Whangarei I was waiting for the reception to fade but no I was able to listen all the way with no problem at all.

Not sure if the powers that be even know this is a problem or maybe they just happy to leave it as it is as up until now no one has mention it. Do others on here have the same thoughts as me or am I just over reacting.

Nah - you're 'bang on' with your comment Bestbets. I experience the same issues with the AM frequency and only yesterday, turned the radio off in frustration!! My Jap import Van doesn't have a Band expander so I can't get a lot of the FM frequencies and always just have it on Trackside's 1476 frequency. However, the coverage is simply useless; over the Bombay Hills and it's already crackling and carrying on until by Paeroa it's completely useless.

Even driving around Auckland it varies from excellent to useless and seems to be vulnerable to all sorts of interference, unlike the FM frequencies.