RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
poundforpound

Keiran McAnulty …..Minister For Racing

The Facebook post, published earlier this afternoon, singled out Wairarapa MP Kieran McAnulty as “the main bully” and alleged he was responsible for “gaslighting me, shouting at me, degrading me in front of caucus members”.

Sharma wrote: “One of the most clearest examples was on the night of the America’s Cup final race where [McAnulty] asked me to come to his room for a meeting on a very short notice, but when I got there I was advised that he had to be in an important meeting so couldn’t make it. I spent close to 2 hours sitting with Kieran McAnulty’s staff in his office being told how terrible a manager I was, with no right of reply. But what was most sickening was that when I came out I saw photos of him drinking and celebrating the America’s Cup final while I sat in his office like a school kid at the headmaster’s office.”

1 hour ago, Chris Wood said:

Par for the course sadly, WP the only one who has come out with any real credit, jeez we have had some drop kicks!

Just another pretender. Agree with Chris wood. Never trust a politician.

Gone are the days of Politicians been people of good stock.

The last few years have shown true colours of those in such roles having lack of common sense & lateral thinking.

Racing had a few good representatives back when Falloon from the Waikato was a rep in Parliament.

The problem for Racing lies fair & square in Universities who conduct research studies/ surveys & the like that are used for Political use - oft incredibly incompetent & flawed research that isn't even accurate, or demographic and multiplied to exaggerate results with shocking consequences and a lack of accountability of those "academics".  

Our Academic institutions need a major shake up before things will change.

On 8/17/2022 at 6:45 AM, meomy said:

Gone are the days of Politicians been people of good stock.

The last few years have shown true colours of those in such roles having lack of common sense & lateral thinking.

Racing had a few good representatives back when Falloon from the Waikato was a rep in Parliament.

The problem for Racing lies fair & square in Universities who conduct research studies/ surveys & the like that are used for Political use - oft incredibly incompetent & flawed research that isn't even accurate, or demographic and multiplied to exaggerate results with shocking consequences and a lack of accountability of those "academics".  

Do you mean John Falloon , Farmer , MP for Pahiatua, Minister of Statistics, Agriculture and Forestry?

From NZ Owners (NZTROF) Bulletin Winter 2022

The recently appointed Minister of Racing Kieran McAnulty has had his skin in the racing game his whole life and now looks to draw on this experience as he takes on new challenges and opportunities in his new role.

Growing up in Wairarapa Kieran was raised around racing as his family ran the local TAB in Eketāhuna, as well as in Greeton, Tauranga. There wasn’t a weekend that went by without a trip down to the TAB or watching Trackside with his family.He remembers the advent of phone betting, and how this allowed his elderly grandfather – a WW2 veteran suffering from mobility issues – to follow the horses again and punt from home. A lot of childhood memories were made in Masterton, Tauherenikau, Hutt Park and Trentham, as he followed his mother around while she worked the tote on course – a job she had for over 30 years.

Kieran has had jobs in and out of the racing industry since his first job as a teenager at the Greyhound track track in Masterton. After university Kieran travelled to Ireland to play rugby where he got the opportunity to manage a bookies’ outlet and learn the trade. This gave him the experience to then get a job at the TAB at a Sports Bookmaker back in New Zealand.

The 7 years at the TAB was a highlight of Kieran’s career as he truly learnt the ins and outs of the racing and wagering industry. Kieran considers himself a bookmaker by trade and prides himself on being the first legal bookmaker to be elected to New Zealand Parliament – he puts it that way because who knows how many illegal bookies were elected back in the day.

Before Kieran was elected to New Zealand Parliament he worked at the Masterton District Council in Economic Development but upheld his keen interest in racingAfter getting elected in 2017, Kieran invested into a local syndicate and became a proud part-owner of Chuck A Luck.Cheering for his horse from the side-lines of the 200 Guineas at Riccarton was a moment he won’t forget – even if Chuck A Luck only came 6th. This experience also got his girlfriend, now fiancée – previously disinterested in racing – hooked on the raceday atmosphere. He is currently involved in a lease arrangement alongside his wider family, and is keen for more opportunities to maintain a link to the industry through ownership. He firmly believes increasing the number of owners is crucial to the long-term success of the wider industry.

The role of Minister of Racing is one that Kieran had hoped for throughout his time at Parliament and so was thrilled when the Prime Minister offered him the job.

This role is important to Kieran not only because he is passionate about racing and has experience across many facets of the industry, but because he want to see a thriving and sustainable industry.

Going forward in his role as Minister of Racing Kieran wants to play his part in securing the racing industry’s future by focusing not only on the three codes, but also the sporting organisations that rely on the success of the racing industry to continue. 

To do this Kieran is focusing on how the Government can assist the industry to face the various challenges it currently faces – including those from offshore operators – and is keen to hear from stakeholders across the three codes. He is also keen to play a role as an ambassador for Thoroughbred racing and the broader industry – to help highlight the career opportunities available and ensure New Zealanders are aware of the industry’s significant contribution to the New Zealand economy. We are a world-class thoroughbred exporter, but he isn’t sure many New Zealanders know that. He also wants to help build a broader appreciation that we need a sustainable domestic racing scene in order for our racing exports to continue to thrive.

2 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

Well he certainly ticks a heap more boxes than the previous office holders.

Wish him well

Only as far as racing goes. He will be gone next election as will Nats shadow minister McKelvie foe Racing who is retiring.

On 8/17/2022 at 6:45 AM, meomy said:

From my perspective meomy, the problem for racing is the opposite, that policy and decisions are based on whim and hearsay when they SHOULD be based on sound research.

On 8/14/2022 at 5:35 AM, Chris Wood said:

Par for the course sadly, WP the only one who has come out with any real credit, jeez we have had some drop kicks!

Unfortunately the Government here don't give a rat's arse about racing. Never have and never will, that is the main and big reason for the huge gulf between NZ and Australian racing ... i.e our lot don't give a damn, Aussie govt embrace it.

8 hours ago, Palliser said:

Unfortunately the Government here don't give a rat's arse about racing. Never have and never will, that is the main and big reason for the huge gulf between NZ and Australian racing ... i.e our lot don't give a damn, Aussie govt embrace it.

That's not strictly true..although looking at current and recent situations, one might be forgiven for thinking that.

From the initial days of the TAB - early fifties -  NZ racing has had huge support/subsidies from Govt and Govt agencies.  

We have been on the pig's back all along, while the Aus variety has had to operate in a commercial environment.  Yes, they do get significant funding.  But nowhere near as much as they have to pay to operate.

We have become lazy, inefficient, entitled, and even now, rely on funding from outside our core business merely to survive, let alone prosper.

You probably won't agree with me, but information is readily available if you care to look.

8 hours ago, Palliser said:

i.e our lot don't give a damn, Aussie govt embrace it.

That's because the Aussie governments earn heaps of revenue from racing, so they look after the goose that lays the golden eggs. Here, it's the other way around and the government and taxpayers just keep giving to keep racing afloat.

2 hours ago, Leggy said:

That's because the Aussie governments earn heaps of revenue from racing, so they look after the goose that lays the golden eggs. Here, it's the other way around and the government and taxpayers just keep giving to keep racing afloat.

Leggy, you are a fairly smart sorta fella.

can you give a simple reason as to why we are such a poor cousin to Australia?

Thanks

50 minutes ago, Phillipe said:

Leggy, you are a fairly smart sorta fella.

can you give a simple reason as to why we are such a poor cousin to Australia?

Thanks

IMO, primarily because for the last 2 or 3 decades NZ racing has failed to appropriately attend to and invest in the key elements that make racing fair and competitive and therefore attractive to punters. E.g., track surfaces, handicapping system, integrity system, programming etc. It may be changing now but the non-competitive and highly wasteful operation of the NZTAB also hasn't helped.

7 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

That's not strictly true..although looking at current and recent situations, one might be forgiven for thinking that.

From the initial days of the TAB - early fifties -  NZ racing has had huge support/subsidies from Govt and Govt agencies.  

We have been on the pig's back all along, while the Aus variety has had to operate in a commercial environment.  Yes, they do get significant funding.  But nowhere near as much as they have to pay to operate.

We have become lazy, inefficient, entitled, and even now, rely on funding from outside our core business merely to survive, let alone prosper.

You probably won't agree with me, but information is readily available if you care to look.

That's also led to a lack of innovation. Other sports try new concepts and ideas to survive, keep relevant, attract new followers.

Too often our administrators and leaders seem to sit around waiting for the government to come up with the solutions.