RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

RIP TAIKI

Sad to hear of the passing of this fine young man way before his time after a fall last week at Cambridge.... Fly high Tiger gone way too soon thank you for the memories...Thoughts and prayers go out to his his Mum and sister here with him and to his manager and close friend Ted...and the greater racing industry family who are all no doubt hurting........RIP young man...soar with the angels.

I2G7IBY6USB54FQA3ILOF3ZXRI-2.jpg

Jockey-taiki-yanagida-164694-435x580.jpg.png

14 minutes ago, Mags said:

Is there a go fund me page to helpthe family

I have been asked to hold off at this stage...will let everyone know when the time is right...now lets just remember a fine young man that he was and send our best wishes to his nearest and dearest loved ones.

TAIKI's  death Brings back memories of all our precious riders.

Who rode for me or were part of  our racing family. Some were killed . others had on going issues

after injuries. (  No not You Spratty )

Ashlee Mundy...  Sam Mc Rae....Tony Williams, Sheila Laxon,

Rebecca Black, Sam Spratt, Lance O' , Linda Jones, Linda Ballantyne, Ken Browne, 

Terrassa McDonald,

Ray Peake, ( Who sits in his wheel Chair everyday for the last 27 years on the Cambridge  road..)

Tim Wheeler . Don Graham, 

Bless them all.

Perhaps Olivia Newton-John & Taiki will have a sing song together up there in heaven.

Does anyone know if Taiki sang any of her songs at Karaoke?

Or have a recording of them?

Japanese are well known for enjoying their Karaoke.

Ted, do you have any info on this?

Maybe raise it with his family.

Hi everyone please see below for details where to donate for Taiki....thanks in advance to everyone who does.

image.png

Yanagida family issue statement

NZTR 
10 August 2022

Life as a jockey may not have been the career choice Kayano Yanagida saw for her son Taiki, but she has taken comfort from the fact the 28-year-old never doubted his path.

This was reiterated in the statement issued by Kayano earlier today following the popular jockey’s death in Waikato Hospital last night.

“Taiki repeatedly said he had no regrets,” Kayano Yanagida said. 

“He told us the same when he went back to New Zealand from Kyoto a month ago.  As his family, we will always remember these words as we think of him.”

“Taiki’s achievements could not have been reached without the support from each of his friends, acquaintances, and horse racing associates.  With their help, he was able to overcome difficulties, always aiming ever higher.  We express our deep gratitude,” she said.

NZTR CEO Bruce Sharrock said that Taiki’s mother Kayano and sisters Chiaki and Ayano could be proud of his achievements both on and off the track.

“The outpouring of emotion demonstrates just how many lives Taiki touched during his time in New Zealand.  That beaming smile will be an enduring memory when we remember him,” he said.

“The racing family does come together in times of adversity, and there are so many people out there wanting to provide some form of support for the family that we have set up an account for that purpose,” he said.

Donations can be made to 01-0517-0063944-07 using the reference Taiki.

A service to commemorate Taiki’s life is also being organised and details regarding the date and venue will be advised once confirmed with Taiki’s family.

4 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Well done trackside...lovely piece on him just now...felt sorry for Emily and Aiden but a nice piece and a nice tribute at Riccarton too.

Does that get put anywhere for those unable to watch it live on the day, to watch it later, do you know? 

Donations can be made to 01-0517-0063944-07 using the reference Taiki. I have corrected this as the press statement put out by NZTR had the wrong account details...they put it out as having 3 000's together when it should be only 00...correct details here now .

01-0517-0063944-07...this is the correct one.reference Taiki

6 min read

Written by Trent Masenhelder

Cover image courtesy of Yuto Kumagai

Japanese apprentice jockey Yuto Kumagai is trying to come to terms with the death of his housemate, good friend and countryman Taiki Yanagida.

The 28-year-old Yanagida died in Waikato Hospital on Tuesday, following a race fall at Cambridge. Yanagida was aboard the Lance O’Sullivan and Andrew Scott-trained Te Atatu Pash (NZ) (He’s Remarkable {NZ}), which fell with 250 metres remaining in the last race. 

Yanagida was knocked unconscious and placed in an induced coma at the track, before being transported to Waikato Hospital. He suffered serious head and spinal injuries and after a brave six-day fight, Yanagida died on Tuesday evening, surrounded by loved ones, including his mother, Kayano, and younger sister, Chiaki, who flew out from Japan to be with him, as well as Kumagai.

Taiki Yanagida | Image courtesy of NZ Racing Desk

“I am so very sad, he was an amazing person and one of my very best friends,” Kumagai told TDN AusNZ on Wednesday.

“I’m having quite a hard time these past few days, they are the saddest days of my life.

“I find it hard to talk about. Yesterday (Tuesday), I went and saw Kozzi Azzano (another New Zealand-based Japanese jockey) and I couldn’t stop crying.”

Kumagai relived his last moments with Yanagida and has vowed to ride in his honour.

“When I was with him at the hospital, when I was saying goodbye to him, I spoke to him. I said to Taiki, ‘Thank you for our special friendship and for looking after me’. I also said, ‘I’m going to thank you again by winning a Group 1 for you, we will do it together’. When I said that to him, he was sleeping and his brain wasn’t working, but he still cried.”

Yanagida moved to Australia from Kyoto, the former capital of Japan some 454 kilometres southwest of Tokyo, before venturing to New Zealand, where he rode for five seasons. He was indentured to O’Sullivan and Scott at Wexford Stables for the majority of that time.

Kumagai moved to Australia from Iwate, situated on the northeastern coast of Japan's main island, to pursue a career as a jockey when he was 17. Whilst in Australia, he learnt to ride show jumping and dressage horses.

Kumagai met Yanagida on Facebook and decided to join up with him in New Zealand. He booked a one-way ticket to Auckland and hoped for the best.

Yuto Kumagai and Taiki Yanagida riding trackwork together | Image courtesy of Yuto Kumagai

“I was in Australia for two years. I was watching his races in New Zealand and thought, ‘I want to go’. I found his Facebook account and sent him a friend request and then I moved there,” said Kumagai, who, like Yanagida, landed a job at Wexford Stables.

Kumagai, 26, said he will forever cherish the four-and-a-half years he spent with Yanagida, who taught him so much, both professionally and socially.

“We did everything together, everything,” Kumagai commented.

“He loved eating food and he knows which cafes and restaurants to go to. He would take me to the best restaurant or the best cafés. Taiki would often cook for me, and he would clean and do all that. He was a good person to live with.

Yuto Kumagai (blue cap) and Taiki Yanagida (red cap) | Image courtesy of Yuto Kumagai 

“He was always talking about horses, whether that was how to get fit or how to ride, become a better jockey. He loved horses so much.

“I used to ride show jumping horses and dressage horses, but when I got here (New Zealand) I had never ridden racehorses. He showed me how to ride racehorses. He had a big influence on my career; I couldn’t get a jockey licence without him.”

Yanagida liked watching many of the top jockeys around the world, but there was one he particularly admired.

“Taiki’s favourite jockey is Joao Moreira, he was watching him all the time in Hong Kong. His riding style was quite similar to Joao Moreira’s, so he did copy him,” Kumagai said.

Yuto Kumagai (blue cap) and Taiki Yanagida (red cap) all smiles after Yuto takes the win | Image courtesy of Yuto Kumagai

“He was very determined and really wanted to get better so he could become a top jockey. He had a three-month contract to ride in Hokkaido from April next year. He went home for a month recently and said he really wanted to ride in Japan so his family and friends could see him; he was quite excited about that.”

Yanagida was incredibly polite and extremely popular within the New Zealand racing community. He developed the nickname ‘Tiger’.

“He got the nickname Tiger because he tried so hard all of the time and was courageous. He was a very tough person,” explained Kumagai, who earned a nickname of his own, ‘The Weapon’.

“Everyone that knew him, loved him.”

Asked why Yanagida moved away from his homeland, Kumagai said it was to support his family.

“His father was gone when Taiki was a child. His father wasn’t a good person,” Kumagai explained.

“He wanted to make money for his family – he has a mother and two sisters, one older (Ayano), one younger – in Japan. The prizemoney he earned from riding, some of that he would send home. He was always saying, ‘I need to get money for my family’.

“Taiki wanted to win some big races, as that would have helped them all.”

Yanagida notched 162 wins (42 last season), including three in stakes class. He won the G2 Westbury Classic aboard Dragon Queen (NZ) (Sweynesse), the G3 Sunline Vase on Bellatrix Black (NZ) (Redwood {GB}) and the Listed Flying S. with Germanicus (NZ) (Rip Van Winkle {Ire}).

“His favourite horse was Dragon Queen, it was his first stakes winner,” Kumagai said.

Taiki Yanagida aboard Dragon Queen (NZ) prevails in the G2 Westbury Classic | Image courtesy of NZ Racing Desk 

Yanagida made the transition to the senior riding ranks earlier this year. He made a good start to the new season when victorious earlier on the card at Cambridge aboard the Chris Wood-trained Rusavy (NZ) (Savabeel).