RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
say no more

LONGSHOT Comp - Sat 6 Aug - How It Will Work (not an entry thread)

Kingsbeer, one of our regular contestants, has very generously donated $300 to sponsor a one-day "LONGSHOT" comp.  An entry thread will go up this evening but here is how it will work.

The objective is to pick longshots, ie. horses paying $10 or more to Win (based on closing NZ TAB tote price).

You have to pick 12 horses across 5 specified meetings (per entry thread).  Provided the horse is paying $10 or more when the Win tote closes, you will have $10 each way on the horse.   If the horse closes paying less than $10 on the Win tote then your selection will be invalid - you will earn nothing.   We know that the tote Win prices can shorten from when you make your selections so you need to aim for longshots who are unlikely to shorten to under $10.

A simple example to illustrate this.   My selection closes paying $10.50 for the Win and $3.30 for the Place and runs second - I collect $33 from the $10 place bet.  However if the horse runs second but closes paying $9.70 for the Win and $3.30 for the Place, I will collect nothing because the Win dividend was less than $10. 

The place dividend has no bearing in whether the bet stands or not, but it can form part of the collect if the Win price meets the $10 threshold.

You can make your selections in any of the races across the 5 meetings.  No limit on number of selections at a particular meeting, but you can only pick one horse per race.

Scratchings - if any of your selections are scratched you can replace them right up to the posting deadline (start time of the first race on the day).  If you don't replace them that is your loss - your selection is invalid and you lose that opportunity for a collect. Late scratchings and abandoned races are just bad luck - too tricky for the scorers to be picking up replacements on the fly after the posting deadline.

The winner will be the person with the highest total collect across their 12 picks.   The prizes will be:

$200 for the winner
$70 for the runner-up
$30 for the 3rd place finisher

In the event of ties the prize money will be split using normal dead-heat splits, eg.  two way tie for 1st each will receive $135.

Usual story with prizes - they will take the form of a single bet (win and/or place) with any collect split 50% to the entrant and 50% recycled to future comps.

Thanks Kingsbeer - much appreciated!

A Terrific Competition is anticipated for this Saturday's new Contest . Great idea.

Thanks KINGSBEER. Thanks SaynoMore who has Two comps to score this weekend.

My computer has spilled out an Erratic  Factor for the early contenders. (  ER ).  1 being Low reliability .......  10 Highly reliable and informed )

It will be a competition that will really suit the likes of : 

Paul ( Ponderosa ),   the Long Shot Champion in similar post Viet Nam war competitions. I usually take quinellas with his selections.  ( ER   9  )

Insider                        with her ambiguous name  has top credentials for those over $22.00 divies. ( ER 4 )

High Sparrow and Cabbage            Great record in every RCafe competition. Likely favourites for top Three. ( ER  7 )

Zims    Led by Lyn, and every entry with ZIM in the title is like having a Turn Me Loose 2 year old in your stable. WFA ability.  ( ER 9.2 )

Gubellini  a Breeding buff: He's my "go to guy " when my  memories of race days from the past, get a bit blurred. May have  horses racing on Saturday, so very interested in his selections. 

Deserves a competition win at this level.  ER  10.00

Cubes and High Sparrow. Both have the ability to win this Saturday's comp. with a  $44/1 selection. Not to be under estimated. Bad rating . ( ER 2.3)

Tauhei Notts.     Waikato Bean counter with poor attendance in these Saturday competitions. Knowledge and wisdom .

Reported to have backed backed Simon De Montfort in 1987 Wellington Cup. (ER.. nil )

Pound 4Pound   Has other missions in mind. How ever his ego could randomly select a horse from Royal Randwick in R 8 " Hard Empire or R10 Ruperstar. ( ER 3.193 )

Floyd Pink         Statistically the top four favourite to win or place top 4.  Well bred and analyses form. Will be picking off shore, for sure.  ( ER 9.9 ) 

Warren      Never, ever discount . Ever. Reliable. Heavy track selections only query in NZ...probably goes off shore. ?  ( ER 9.22 )

Right first Time :  Often is right. Most selections are 3/1 or worse, so no form this competition format >  ( ER    4.91 )

I Will post new form Dates for Saturday's LONG JOHN LONG SHOT Competition when I see the full field.