RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Palliser

Pip Pip

Pip Morris does ok with her presenting, but needs Trackside to give her some grammar training, and also training regarding around pronunciation. Today at the dogs which is her strong point she pronounced Cousteau as Cost - de - o .. and Adobe as A-dub-e .. just a wee bit embarrassing, it happens regularly and she's not the only one. I would have thought presenters performance is scrutinized just like any employee ?

Are you joking, I have awhile ago, they just said thank you. Oh well let's just be happy with mediocrity and maybe that is why the industry is stuffed and our Australian counterparts leave us in the dust. I shouldn't need to reach out, they should be identifying things that need improvement and train their staff.

59 minutes ago, Palliser said:

Are you joking, I have awhile ago, they just said thank you. Oh well let's just be happy with mediocrity and maybe that is why the industry is stuffed and our Australian counterparts leave us in the dust. I shouldn't need to reach out, they should be identifying things that need improvement and train their staff.

So point it out to them she at least deserves that.

Scooby....I agree with Palliser and had the same reaction. You might remember the wrath I copped when I called out an appalling piece of commentary on Trackside. Wasn't that long ago. I also approached Trackside. I gave them an outline which had been provided to me by a BBC correspondent which outlined the simple protocols that presenters need to incorporate to do the job properly...you know....lesson 101 stuff. I followed up  to understand what happened to the suggestions because I received no response....nehts, nada, nothing....typical TAB type behaviour.

Our industry presentation is so mediocre it's embarrassing. That we have to point out that Trackside is a front shop window to our industry and that the quality of our industry is reflected through the presenters, is wrong. We need people who can speak with knowledge, correct grammar (a horse doesn't "go good" it "goes well"), and pleasant diction. That unfortunately is not happening at the most basic level.

I'm with Palliser on this one

1 hour ago, Berri said:

Scooby....I agree with Palliser and had the same reaction. You might remember the wrath I copped when I called out an appalling piece of commentary on Trackside. Wasn't that long ago. I also approached Trackside. I gave them an outline which had been provided to me by a BBC correspondent which outlined the simple protocols that presenters need to incorporate to do the job properly...you know....lesson 101 stuff. I followed up  to understand what happened to the suggestions because I received no response....nehts, nada, nothing....typical TAB type behaviour.

Our industry presentation is so mediocre it's embarrassing. That we have to point out that Trackside is a front shop window to our industry and that the quality of our industry is reflected through the presenters, is wrong. We need people who can speak with knowledge, correct grammar (a horse doesn't "go good" it "goes well"), and pleasant diction. That unfortunately is not happening at the most basic level.

I'm with Palliser on this one

Berri, it could be argued (successfully in court I imagine) that our "front shop window" is actually better than what's actually out back in the shop itself, and the "front shop window" could be accused of false advertising if they did an even better job, as what they're selling is really "$2 shop" rubbish most days. And that's on days the meetings actually get off the ground!!!

Poor diction is the norm and Media dont care. Melissa the 'wallpaper stripper" with her honks and yowls would be an example on 1 News. Its fair to tell them they suck. They may correct and add value to themselves

They only have one job.

14 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Poor diction is the norm and Media dont care. Melissa the 'wallpaper stripper" with her honks and yowls would be an example on 1 News. Its fair to tell them they suck. They may correct and add value to themselves

They only have one job.

And it's not as if the impaired ones cannot afford to embrace some latent elocution at 1 News--Dallow and Petrie I believe were on 500K (EACH) a few years ago! (In fairness those two done good with da verbals.)

Do the 1 News presenters have much work besides reading a teleprompter? Surely they're working long hours behind the scenes as well for that type of dough?

Learning how correctly pronounce 'performance' would go a long way for 90% of the Trackside presenters and commentators.

7 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Then go to her directly not attack her in some public forum...cheers.I am sure she is trying her best and some direct advice will probably be the best way for her to keep improving.

Does it really matter how a public figure is informed that all is not well? Shouldn't it be up to her bosses to provide the correction to enable improvement? The whole concept of this site (Race Cafe) was to have a voice. That is why I originally gave Dave and Ange some of my hard earnt near the beginning of this Race Cafe journey. My motivation was that we all needed a voice as we were all being ignored by the bureaucracy. That still happens and the rheems of correspondence that I have is a testament to bureaucrats not listening to their customers. Why is it that such criticism exists? Do they still read this forum or has this forum degenerated into a site that doesn't matter or rate? We, the contributors hope they still read the content on this site, as apart from some entertainment, we would like our voices heard.

I suffered the wrath of everyone on here when I had my last blast on this matter. I turned PC and apologised even though I thought the content was direct and justified. Guess what...it's happened again!!

Its totally fine to have an opinion but please everyone dont get personal...I am sure she or her friends read the site as traffic is very high...and if things get personal as you did last time Berri it goes nowhere to achieve what we all want to do and change things...cheers.

I also have reached out to my connections to pass on the opinions shared here...

49 minutes ago, Berri said:

Does it really matter how a public figure is informed that all is not well? Shouldn't it be up to her bosses to provide the correction to enable improvement? The whole concept of this site (Race Cafe) was to have a voice. That is why I originally gave Dave and Ange some of my hard earnt near the beginning of this Race Cafe journey. My motivation was that we all needed a voice as we were all being ignored by the bureaucracy. That still happens and the rheems of correspondence that I have is a testament to bureaucrats not listening to their customers. Why is it that such criticism exists? Do they still read this forum or has this forum degenerated into a site that doesn't matter or rate? We, the contributors hope they still read the content on this site, as apart from some entertainment, we would like our voices heard.

I suffered the wrath of everyone on here when I had my last blast on this matter. I turned PC and apologised even though I thought the content was direct and justified. Guess what...it's happened again!!

Your opinions are only the views of one individual - yourself. The last time you raised this I seem to recall most didn't exactly back up your attitude. 

They're not personal, they're professional. Nobody questioned either her knowledge or informedness. Please read the original thread for heaven's sake...

"Pip Morris does ok with her presenting, but needs Trackside to give her some grammar training, and also training regarding around pronunciation."

FFS...what's wrong with this as I comment. 

1 hour ago, Berri said:

They're not personal, they're professional. Nobody questioned either her knowledge or informedness. Please read the original thread for heaven's sake...

"Pip Morris does ok with her presenting, but needs Trackside to give her some grammar training, and also training regarding around pronunciation."

FFS...what's wrong with this as I comment. 

They are about as personal as you can get, and if you don't realise that, that's not you, not on everybody else. Who are you to decide what is professional, and what is not? It's all only personal opinion, is it not? 

Im with Berri on this. Who doesn't criticise a player in sport watching them? If you put yourself in the professional arena you get criticism. Its part of the game. It wasn't personal it was an observation that could make her better. Its the usual Kiwi thing. Its ok unless its someone we know/or like then its an issue.

3 hours ago, gubellini said:

Berri not many of us can aspire to the BBC standards of diction and grammar. Cor Blimey we are Kiwis!

Too right Gubellini.

3 hours ago, Idolmite said:

They are about as personal as you can get, and if you don't realise that, that's not you, not on everybody else. Who are you to decide what is professional, and what is not? It's all only personal opinion, is it not? 

Pressed the wrong emoji as a response in your post I'm afraid. It should have been a serious frown....Grammar and diction is not about an opinion....it's a well established base of language data that should be taught/ was taught for millennia. It is the foundation of an entire language base that is universally acceptable enough to endure formal examination that makes up part of a universally acceptable school curriculum.  It starts with spelling and finishes with grammar.

Any presenter should have an understanding of this.....enough said because if you don't understand this then it tells me a lot about those who object to this position.

Look it doesnt matter if the person is a fill in. Trackside would have a suite of speakers. and a responsibility that they all could impart information clearly.. Its the only job FFS.

Sick of hearing guys that rabbit on and both sexes that sound ill educated. You would swear some had just fallen out of a pub.