RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mulebacker

Why do they do trackwork at such ungodly hours?

Why do the run around at 5Am in the morning. Surely the horses could do their work at a more civilised time like 9Am - it aint that hot

Is this tradition or science or that or the horse  has got a busy day ahead  standing in the paddock or barn for the next 10 hours after trackwork

It's similar over here if not even earlier.

During the worst of the heat last week, some stables in Newmarket had first lot at 3.45am.

I presume work is done early because some jockeys, trainers and horses need to travel to race courses - races over here start at 1pm or later in summer but earlier in winter.

If you have evening racing in summer, it can be a very long day with horses getting back after 11pm and needing to be bedded down for the night.

All stable staff get my fullest admiration for the love and the devotion they put in - they don't do it for the money. It's nice to see more prizes for the groom and the stable being offered on things like the Sunday Series and the Racing League.

Yep. There's races, trials, jumpouts, beaches, other work commitments to get to by 9 or 10. Also heat and horses generally need to be home for brekkie. Aside from that for me 3-6am is my most productive time of day whether I'm working horses or not.  Probably get 70% of a days work done in those three hours. No distractions, messages, phone calls, visitors, clear brain etc.

On the TDN podcasts section there is one with Mike de Koch. He has very strong views on this issue and while he acknowledges that small trainers, who might work in other jobs have a logical reason to start early he thinks for others it is crazy. He thinks training should , in an optimal situation, be in the afternoon.

The whole podcast is great --covers a wide range of topics including his successes in Dubai and working with the Sheiks.

Well some people think its worth responding to. Start a a petition to get me banned pound for pound then you can get back to your  echo chamber  with your mates. Better yet start your own private forum for your mates only. This is a public forum

22 minutes ago, mulebacker said:

Well some people think its worth responding to. Start a a petition to get me banned pound for pound then you can get back to your  echo chamber  with your mates. Better yet start your own private forum for your mates only. This is a public forum

Agree, this is a racing village…..and every village needs an idiot …..and if all the racing idiots of the entire world decided to start their own village…you’d still be the idiot of that village ……maybe you should start the idiots Olympics…..you’re gold, silver and bronze material 

Well as an outsider to the racing club I do ask what to you may be strange questions - But as far as the idiot prize goes lets have a little competition on picking winners Unlike yourself I have Zero inside knowledge of the game   The loser - gets the title  - 

NZ only  Best of 5 picks in the next week

6 minutes ago, mulebacker said:

Well as an outsider to the racing club I do ask what to you may be strange questions - But as far as the idiot prize goes lets have a little competition on picking winners Unlike yourself I have Zero inside knowledge of the game   The loser - gets the title  - 

NZ only  Best of 5 picks in the next week

I don’t wrestle in the mud with pigs …..I’ll get dirty and you’ll like it 

19 minutes ago, mulebacker said:

Pound for Pound:  Ok Towel boy,  What you and the  boys get up to at 5 in the morning in  the sauna you can keep to yerself 

Unlike you I’m not a six fingered ankle deep mud lover from the Naki …. Give up while you’re behind “banjo boy” 

It could well be because animals also need to look after their health and cool down to.

Do you ever stop and think why they don't generally race about in the midday sun?

Ever noticed how animals cluster together and sit in a certain pattern?

It's beyond belief in the UK now they are talking about building 'Cooling sheds" for cattle.

It's overdue the academics who took animals rights to cool off, swim and enjoy waterways failed to stop and think why animals were in them in the first place - it's the way they are.