RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mr_gee

ryder stakes meeting not going ahead

An early call has been made to cancel the Levin RC meeting at Otaki on Saturday. The RIB and club officials inspected the track on Tuesday. The track is sodden having received 109mm of rainfall in the last 7 days on an already heavy surface. A NIWA report commissioned specifically for Otaki Racecourse shows a further 70mm of rain is expected from today through to midday on Saturday. There is no alternative track available in the central region. The Courtesy Ford Ryder Stakes, the final black-type race of the season, has been added to the card at the Taumarunui RC meeting at Te Rapa on Saturday.

Clever move by all concerned giving trainers advance warning. Cant do anything with the weather the way it is and its not only NZ. Never seen so many NSW meetings abandoned.

27 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

An early call has been made to cancel the Levin RC meeting at Otaki on Saturday. The RIB and club officials inspected the track on Tuesday. The track is sodden having received 109mm of rainfall in the last 7 days on an already heavy surface. A NIWA report commissioned specifically for Otaki Racecourse shows a further 70mm of rain is expected from today through to midday on Saturday. There is no alternative track available in the central region. The Courtesy Ford Ryder Stakes, the final black-type race of the season, has been added to the card at the Taumarunui RC meeting at Te Rapa on Saturday.

Clever move by all concerned giving trainers advance warning. Cant do anything with the weather the way it is and its not only NZ. Never seen so many NSW meetings abandoned.

Hmmmm... Course proper looked fine at Foxton this morning.

How could there not be cancelled meetings with the spell of weather experienced in both Australia and New Zealand, just as well we've got some synthetic tracks to race on, oh but many complaining about those as well, on the  other threads, seems so much negativity out there at the moment, can anyone add some positive stuff.

1 hour ago, Shad said:

How could there not be cancelled meetings with the spell of weather experienced in both Australia and New Zealand, just as well we've got some synthetic tracks to race on, oh but many complaining about those as well, on the  other threads, seems so much negativity out there at the moment, can anyone add some positive stuff.

So what is positive, you lead the way...

A few positive we have synthetic tracks so some racing going ahead regardless of the weather, a small increase in stakes, and we can go to the races again after the lockdown period, and I'm holding out hope I can get one to the races in the near future, a wise man once told me its better to live in hope, than die in despair.

My biggest concern today is that a filly I bred and still retain a small share of is down to race in the Famis Bonus 1400m Fillies and Mares race at Riccarton on Friday BUT with only 5 nominations will it go ahead?

She of course wouldn't still be in training at this time of the year, except for the AWT so let's see what the "powers that be" decide to what to do tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, Insider said:

My biggest concern today is that a filly I bred and still retain a small share of is down to race in the Famis Bonus 1400m Fillies and Mares race at Riccarton on Friday BUT with only 5 nominations will it go ahead?

She of course wouldn't still be in training at this time of the year, except for the AWT so let's see what the "powers that be" decide to what to do tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

I leased the Vadamos filly for a while in that race we were told by the original trainer its not much good so we gave it back but truth be known it needed a minor wind op...it now  goes well and will be hard to beat if the race goes.Trainer is now ready to give up I believe as cant hack the pressure.

5 minutes ago, Insider said:

Fingers crossed.

The problem with keeping horses going just because of the AWT is when the tracks improve the chances are these horses  will be ready for a spell so they will miss the early spring/summer racing  

18 minutes ago, Insider said:

Fingers crossed.

It will go ahead. There are always 4 or 5 extras that suddenly front up in such situations. And in the NI they run them with only 5 acceptors so they would look pretty bad if they don't do the same in the South.

5 hours ago, Shad said:

I agree totally. It is inevitable we will lose meetings in these weather conditions. As to the AWTs, I don't think anyone objects to them as such. The Riccarton one looks great - as you would hope for $15m. The thing is, they should just be ticking away in the background as an alternative option for a certain type of horse and a handy training option. The problem comes when they are presented as the saving of the NZ Racing industry, and when you question whether they are the best way a struggling industry could have spent $50m. 

12 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

The problem comes when they are presented as the saving of the NZ Racing industry, and when you question whether they are the best way a struggling industry could have spent $50m

I stand to be corrected but didn't the funding for AWT's come from Winston's regional development fund. Further, given the increased TAB payout to NZTR what have they done with all the extra money they recieved? use it on better stakes or improve its own balance sheet - methinks the latter and so do others i know. Im sure George and co on NZTR board have a cunning plan which they will share with us at some point in the future.🤑

5 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

I stand to be corrected but didn't the funding for AWT's come from Winston's regional development fund. 

Yes Flash, a significant portion came from the Provincial Growth Fund, although many of us still struggle with the concept of Riccarton being in the provinces. It is a fair way along Yaldhurst Road, but the provinces might be stretching it a bit.

6 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

although many of us still struggle with the concept of Riccarton being in the provinces. It is a fair way along Yaldhurst Road, but the provinces might be stretching it a bit.

Some might say that's "Semantics" oops sorry i meant "Politics" but either way Riccarton has an AWT.Beleive you me given what i have seen on TV they could not race on main track any time soon 

Perhaps Pam R or someone else could enlighten us on if its used for training purposes at all?

Racing people supported Winnie and they treated him. The payback came withe the PGF and Jonesy spread the dough. He had 3 Billion to play with. and racing got the 3 AWT's. each in a different province.

NZTR said in their soon to be released SOI. they will hold a reserve of 12 million.. I dont know if this is excessive. But if we get anther pandemic they need to keep the pie warmer loaded.

23 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Some might say that's "Semantics" oops sorry i meant "Politics" but either way Riccarton has an AWT.Beleive you me given what i have seen on TV they could not race on main track any time soon 

Perhaps Pam R or someone else could enlighten us on if its used for training purposes at all?

If you mean, is the AWT used for training at all,  of course it is.

It's very, very good indeed. 

We have few options here, there is simply nowhere else consistently available for work.

As for being the saviour for NZ racing,  that's a different topic completely.