RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

Counties land for sale

2 hours ago, Nerula said:

Suppose they will park the floats next to the tie up stalls.

But essentially they are offering land that carries a large rate impost. The catch is when you re-zone you need to develop or sell to mitigate the holding costs

Seem to remember that when ARC and Counties were doing their courtship Club Members were seduced by the proposition that Counties were going to "Lease" their surplus land for a regular return. Guess that was before Ardern and her queer mates drove the impending exodus to Australia and commercial development hit the wall.

11 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Do clubs consult with NZTR before they try to sell off land? Land that has been built up over the years but will never be able to be replaced.

My first reaction to that is why would they.  But look at the the board and exec of TR and wonder would they know more than the locals.

Government is trying on this centralised control which of course the commo way but why ape that.

What ATR are trying to do is build an endowment fund that will last through the ages. The alternative would be to create a commercial arm hire expertise and become developers.

You were right. Notice just through from ATR saying Car racing to cease 2 April 2023.  Puke to be developed as a training centre to support Auckland region racing.

I assume stables to go on the flat down the Buckland end. Be great for small trainers but I imagine the heavy hitters will get boxes to be near the honeypot.

7 hours ago, Nerula said:

You were right. Notice just through from ATR saying Car racing to cease 2 April 2023.  Puke to be developed as a training centre to support Auckland region racing.

I assume stables to go on the flat down the Buckland end. Be great for small trainers but I imagine the heavy hitters will get boxes to be near the honeypot.

I attended the first Grand Prix at Pukekohe in 1963 (as a young child I might add), and even did a lap of the track prior to it officially opening rolling around in the back of my dad's painter's van. Safety was certainly not an issue in the early sixties. So after 60 years the arses are going to close down the motor racing side of things, despite in recent decades the motor racing being the only thing that the pubic in general have been interested in. April 2nd 2023 will be a sad day for many. 

Perhaps it's an age thing but I'm tending to become a bit more philosophical about these changes as time goes on. Sure, like many of you, I can see gross mismanagement in some quarters but that's probably happened in business since time immemorial depending on one's motives. I saw Stirling Moss win the Grand Prix at Ardmore and recall the hue and cry when that track was closed. I also understand the chagrin connected to racetrack closures happening now and into the future but I would guess there was no less ill-feeling when the Takapuna and the Otahuhu tracks closed umpteen years ago. It's all a part of 'moving on'. To the next generation in racing these track closures will simply be a part of history but at least there will be some great well recorded videos of times past.

38 minutes ago, Blue said:

Perhaps it's an age thing but I'm tending to become a bit more philosophical about these changes as time goes on. Sure, like many of you, I can see gross mismanagement in some quarters but that's probably happened in business since time immemorial depending on one's motives. I saw Stirling Moss win the Grand Prix at Ardmore and recall the hue and cry when that track was closed. I also understand the chagrin connected to racetrack closures happening now and into the future but I would guess there was no less ill-feeling when the Takapuna and the Otahuhu tracks closed umpteen years ago. It's all a part of 'moving on'. To the next generation in racing these track closures will simply be a part of history but at least there will be some great well recorded videos of times past.

Takapuna and Otahuhu? Tell me more? They certainly cannot have been there for 60 years like the Pukekohe motor racing track has been, and likely propping up the racing side of things through many of those 60 years too, especially when both Ellerslie and Avondale were on their prime. Pukekohe was just the poor and distant cousin twice removed in those days. Did the ARC care about Pukekohe then? 

3 hours ago, Idolmite said:

Takapuna and Otahuhu? Tell me more? They certainly cannot have been there for 60 years like the Pukekohe motor racing track has been, and likely propping up the racing side of things through many of those 60 years too, especially when both Ellerslie and Avondale were on their prime. Pukekohe was just the poor and distant cousin twice removed in those days. Did the ARC care about Pukekohe then? 

3 hours ago, Idolmite said:

I think they probably were, Idolmite. Almost every town had a racecourse at one point, mostly from about 1880 but population growth, the need for housing land as towns grew and possibly monetary issues has meant changes and amalgamations for many over the years. Nowadays racing is one of the lesser lights as far as entertainment is concerned which means further changes if the industry is to survive.