RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tripple alliance

Woodville abandoned

The Woodville Meeting scheduled for Thursday 14 July has been abandoned. This decision was made after club reps, a jockey rep and the RIB inspected the track this morning. A large amount of rain has been received both overnight and today on an already particularly wet track. There is surface water both on the track and in surrounding areas. The Trentham nominations remain open until 9am tomorrow morning (Wednesday).

Should be a nice boost for the fields at Trentham on Saturday , assuming it doesn't suffer the same fate .

1 hour ago, nstrip said:

why make a call 48 hours away when the forecast is fine and windy next 2 days for Woodville

NZTR doing there best to get rid of winter racing

Dont think so...its a decent call and keeps everyone from losing money if they have to be called off on the day...good call I believe.

Will Trentham race on Saturday or will they pull the pin as well. That's the next question?

Friday at Riccarton on synthetic offers some relief given they would not be racing on grass track after weather they had down that way of late.

41 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Trentham forecast pretty good , Thursday mainly fine , Friday a sprinkling of showers , Saturday Cloudy periods and isolated showers so it should be just an ordinary Trentham winter track ,  looking forward to a great day .

Yes it's going to be cold but probably not too much more rain. The article I read in the Herald this morning said the only issue would be surface water - as it was last year - but that seems far less likely this time.

14 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Any potential Greek Meers or Irish Rover's running?

Lets also not forget multiple winners from years gone by at Trentham Winter meets: Cattle King, Strapped for Cash, Matost and the aptly named Always Summer

Or anything Peter Louis trained…..Harry’s Pal, John’s Pal etc….my old favourite was Marebello…..👍

20 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Any potential Greek Meers or Irish Rover's running?

Lets also not forget multiple winners from years gone by at Trentham Winter meets: Cattle King, Strapped for Cash, Matost and the aptly named Always Summer

Ok here's a memory  , 2 weeks wages to win on Lord Mac , he won the Parliamentary  straight to the front and kept going , trained by the Hennessys from memory .

1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

Ok here's a memory  , 2 weeks wages to win on Lord Mac , he won the Parliamentary  straight to the front and kept going , trained by the Hennessys from memory .

He won in 1970 when ridden by J Messant. Owned by Ron Guerny

Should have included my old punting favs - Hills Brew and Car Park Flyer as genuine Trentham winter gallopers

1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

Now the once great listed stakes Parliamentary Hcp is run on a nanoo nanoo day in June for sfa stake money so is no longer a stakes race.

2 minutes ago, Contentious said:

Now the once great listed stakes Parliamentary Hcp is run on a nanoo nanoo day in June for sfa stake money so is no longer a stakes race.

Parliamentary and Whyte both $35,000 races these days. Quite sad really. Does the Cornwall even exist these days? The great winter handicaps are all disappearing. I suppose the Winter Cup is still hanging in there, but not the race it once was and probably racing for the same stake it was 20 or 30 years ago.

43 minutes ago, Contentious said:

Conan for the South. Interestingly enough, the SI, I don't think, had a great record in the Whyte and Parliamentary, but I am pretty sure Conan won at least one of them. May have won or been placed in a Cornwall as well. Trentham was obviously far too deep for the Southerners used to racing through the winter on the decent tracks in the SI.

4 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

I won a race there one day on a horse called DeeBee I swear I thought we were never going to reach the winning post it was bottomless..but the owners gave a good sling LOL.

If you were paid by 'time in the saddle', Trentham in winter was the place for good paydays as a jockey 🤣