RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mulebacker

Whats the difference between spelled and freshened ?

Do they define freshened as having a rest between 30 and 90 days  and anything over 90 is a spell ?

Or is 'Freshend' less than 50 days ???

What kind of horses appreciate a  freshend up - sprinters or old horses or is it specific to that horse ?

Thanks

The TAB form has stats for Fresh 30 and Fresh 90. I'd assume the former is between 30 & 90; it's definitely not 30-50 though (Crystallize in R7 at Te Rapa has six runs under his F(30) stats, including one where he was 68dbr; that's the first race I checked).

You're right that some horses have specific preferences (running better when fresh, or conversely running better on a quick backup), but as general rules I like horses down in trip off a freshen up, or on a quick backup (7 days or less) when having their third or fourth run at the same distance (especially if that distance is 2000m+).

6 minutes ago, mulebacker said:

Thx - Let up - thats a new one for me.  Is the distinction between freshen up and let up somewhat arbitrary or they serve different purposes

that  one  usually means in light work