RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tony

The Mythical Track of Foxton and the lost city of Atlantis

15 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Who’s winning this scrap ?

it seems like a ten rounder and we’re in the ninth, slugging it out, but it’s looking like a draw on my card 

Bit like the poll on Akl Mayoral race - is it time for the whips and spurs to come out? 😊

21 hours ago, Tony said:

Not the Presidents report that was written by one of Jacinda's press writers.

Tony.

This is low and nasty, even for you,

Steve Kupa is a retired DC of IRD and fully capable of writing his own reports. I type them up. I'm a full time registered nurse, and give hours of free time to the Club with no reimbursement. 

Neither of us work for Jacinda. Obviously if we did, we'd get respect for the hours of work we do.

Thanks for showing just how little respect you have for the volunteers who give hours of their own time to give a functioning course.

geez I've read some nonsense on here...

moutoa floodgates opening has nothing to do with water table at foxton racecourse neither does the tide or does it impact palmy river levels

What does though is the 130 mls that fell on the track over several days of heavy showers and thunderstorms.

Can anyone tell me a track in nz that could handle that rainfall and have a nice grass open for galloping or a slow 8 for trials ?

I think the AWT will impact levin jumpouts more than Foxton trials from what I'm hearing.

There will be a uproar from trainers if no grass trials,no one wants to buy them off synthetic and that's how trainers survive. 

3 hours ago, nstrip said:

moutoa floodgates opening has nothing to do with water table at foxton racecourse neither does the tide or does it impact palmy river levels

I didn't say either affected palmy river levels nstrip. I said they affected Foxton river and water table levels. If you don't believe me, you can see for yourself. Go down to the Foxton river loop one day (in settled/no rain weather conditions) at high tide and put a stick in the bank at the water level. Come back at low tide and see where the stick is relative to the water level.

If you don't believe that tides affect coastal water table levels, then perhaps  you should let the scientists concerned about the affects of global warming know so they can stop worrying about it.

"“We looked at well records and found that the water table in the coastal zone goes up and down with the tides,” says Fletcher. “And so we realized there’s a direct connection between the ocean and the water table. And as the ocean rises due to climate change, the water table is going to rise and eventually flood the land. So we’re gonna have all these wetlands in urbanized areas and around roads, where we don’t really want them. And it turns out this is a form of sea-level rise that in many areas is more damaging than what people classically think of as the ocean flowing over the shoreline and flooding.” https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/12/13/1041309/climate-change-rising-groundwater-flooding/ "

If you don't think sea level affects the water table in Foxton, then if you have a bore available, get out your tape measure and do the same experiment with water levels there at low and high tide. It goes up and down here with the tides and we are further inland than Foxton racecourse.

If you can accept that water table levels are affected by sea levels then you will realise that higher sea levels caused by the release of the floodgates will cause higher water table levels. As you say, high rainfall will also increase all of those. If the flood gate opening didn't cause higher sea levels then I doubt that emergency services would have been busy sand bagging at Foxton Beach prior to the recent release.

The affects on the Foxton racecourse and area are well known to the wisdom of the Foxton community. They were also well understood by the previous NZTR tracks advisor.

It is nature and there is nothing anyone can do about it I'm afraid.

6 hours ago, Leggy said:

I didn't say either affected palmy river levels nstrip. I said they affected Foxton river and water table levels. If you don't believe me, you can see for yourself. Go down to the Foxton river loop one day (in settled/no rain weather conditions) at high tide and put a stick in the bank at the water level. Come back at low tide and see where the stick is relative to the water level.

If you don't believe that tides affect coastal water table levels, then perhaps  you should let the scientists concerned about the affects of global warming know so they can stop worrying about it.

"“We looked at well records and found that the water table in the coastal zone goes up and down with the tides,” says Fletcher. “And so we realized there’s a direct connection between the ocean and the water table. And as the ocean rises due to climate change, the water table is going to rise and eventually flood the land. So we’re gonna have all these wetlands in urbanized areas and around roads, where we don’t really want them. And it turns out this is a form of sea-level rise that in many areas is more damaging than what people classically think of as the ocean flowing over the shoreline and flooding.” https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/12/13/1041309/climate-change-rising-groundwater-flooding/ "

If you don't think sea level affects the water table in Foxton, then if you have a bore available, get out your tape measure and do the same experiment with water levels there at low and high tide. It goes up and down here with the tides and we are further inland than Foxton racecourse.

If you can accept that water table levels are affected by sea levels then you will realise that higher sea levels caused by the release of the floodgates will cause higher water table levels. As you say, high rainfall will also increase all of those. If the flood gate opening didn't cause higher sea levels then I doubt that emergency services would have been busy sand bagging at Foxton Beach prior to the recent release.

The affects on the Foxton racecourse and area are well known to the wisdom of the Foxton community. They were also well understood by the previous NZTR tracks advisor.

It is nature and there is nothing anyone can do about it I'm afraid.

Unreal still saying tides affect water table even after I told you the story of a fencer waiting for tide to go out to put post in post hole lol Do you know how much water runs into the sea every second around the world why hasn't Noah's ark been rebuilt because according to you the planet would of flooded years ago

9 hours ago, nstrip said:

What does though is the 130 mls that fell on the track over several days of heavy showers and thunderstorms.

Can anyone tell me a track in nz that could handle that rainfall and have a nice grass open for galloping or a slow 8 for trials ?

I think the AWT will impact levin jumpouts more than Foxton trials from what I'm hearing.

There will be a uproar from trainers if no grass trials,no one wants to buy them off synthetic and that's how trainers survive. 

How come track Heavy 10 for trials then  did you get 150mm yesterday. Pull your head in and do job you employed to do

I don't think you know what you are talking about...

read the stuff article, they were sandbagging because of the gale fore westerlies creating a storm surge in combination with the river flooded.

that has nothing to do with river making the sea higher, that makes no sense at all.

What your point crow? its going to be a nice winter track tomorrow probably on the slow side.

shortest day just been, its hardly going to dry out this time of year to a dead 5 ... 

12 hours ago, nstrip said:

that has nothing to do with river making the sea higher, that makes no sense at all.

You are obviously totally missing the point and misreading the research I have posted. It is the other way around. The higher sea levels (tidal and otherwise) cause higher river and water table levels.

Had a meeting here the other day with a council compliance guy to look at unusual surface water issues, mostly at my neighbour's. They are looking at historical topographical data to see if anything remediable has been done, e.g. a raised road level, works that have blocked a natural waterway etc. He mentioned that they have a record number of 60+ surface water issue investigations going on in the Foxton area. Also. that he suspects a big part of the problem is beyond control. I.e., related to global warming, tidal, water table, and changed rainfall pattern issues.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:51 AM, Leggy said:

Had a meeting here the other day with a council compliance guy to look at unusual surface water issues, mostly at my neighbour's. They are looking at historical topographical data to see if anything remediable has been done, e.g. a raised road level, works that have blocked a natural waterway etc. He mentioned that they have a record number of 60+ surface water issue investigations going on in the Foxton area. Also. that he suspects a big part of the problem is beyond control. I.e., related to global warming, tidal, water table, and changed rainfall pattern issues.

Real wild night and over 120mm rain in the North Leggy…..no doubt making its way down the Island…won’t help you much…….:rolleyes: