RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crustyngrizzly

EX Jockey RIP?

Phil rode 152 winners. He was apprenticed to Lionel Pratt at Orari alongside the Skelton Brothers. His first win was on Whipsnade at Geraldine on the 26/9/55. His biggest win in the South Island was the 1959 Oamaru Cup on Brookfields Lad trained by Phil Stock. He later moved north to Takanini and rode a lot for Baggy Hillis. He won nine races on Sandpiper for Baggy including the 1970 Northern Wairoa Cup and the 1971 Whangarei Cup. 

Crustyngrizzly, thank you for posting about Phillip Kempton. When I was a kid his family lived diagonally across the road and I alway thought that it was cool that we had a famous jockey from our street. (Queen Street)

(Obviously he wasn’t famous in the real sense of the word but at least he was always in the newspaper every week 😊)

14 hours ago, Insider said:

Crustyngrizzly, thank you for posting about Phillip Kempton. When I was a kid his family lived diagonally across the road and I alway thought that it was cool that we had a famous jockey from our street. (Queen Street)

(Obviously he wasn’t famous in the real sense of the word but at least he was always in the newspaper every week 😊)

Jockeys were held in the highest esteem in those old days.We lived about 50m from a jock described as "famous"by my non racing parents.That was Reg Turnwald a better than average jock according to my mate and his property backed onto stables owned by the late Jack Hayes who was the dad of the late Jimmy Hayes a top jock until a fall.

All of them famous according to my parents.

8 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Jockeys were held in the highest esteem in those old days.We lived about 50m from a jock described as "famous"by my non racing parents.That was Reg Turnwald a better than average jock according to my mate and his property backed onto stables owned by the late Jack Hayes who was the dad of the late Jimmy Hayes a top jock until a fall.

All of them famous according to my parents.

Well it was the time of..........Rugby, Racing & Beer,  so why not have the jockeys on the same pedestal as the All Blacks and the top Provincial players?

Incidentally, the Queen Street that I mentioned in my earlier posting was in WESTPORT.

Talking about the "Coast" when you consider the Skelton Brothers, the next Mayor of Auckland [ex jockey] and Phillip Kempton, in the grand scheme of things it certainly box well above their weight!