RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

Another abandonment halfway through programme

I would suggest people to go and have a look at the replays of R1 and R3 at Hawera just to get a better picture of the poor conditions that prevailed on the day and Leggy there is a quick bit of footage as they were about to enter the section near the 800m wher you can see the narrowing of the width of the track henece the rail being moved inwards following that race. 

5 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I would say some trainers will have to turn around again....FFS.  We have to stop trying to make tracks work that are not up to it.  The game is expensive enough as is.

Your suggestion to the issue?

10 minutes ago, Zak Hussai said:

Your suggestion to the issue?

It needs someone brighter than me to fix this, but I do know racing venues, especially Saturday venues need to be better.  Those racing horses in NZ are fast getting over this shit.  NZTR has limited funds to fix all these tracks, the money is spread too thin.  So pick a select few and spend the money there.  In future if NZTR is flush they can reopen a track or two.  

The abandonment of Trentham will surpise very few. The below is December 2021, less than 6 months ago

NZTR has implemented an investigation into the circumstances which resulted in the abandonment of the Wellington Racing Club’s Group One meeting on Saturday.

“NZ Sports Turf Institute (NZSTI) will commence a track review tomorrow morning, inspecting both the track and the data and reports from the Racing and Track managers,’’ NZTR CEO Bernard Saundry said.

“We have also requested a full report from the Racing Integrity Board (RIB) regarding the procedures leading up to and following the first race on Saturday,” he said.

RACE and Wellington Racing Club are extremely disappointed in what transpired yesterday at Trentham with the meeting abandoned after the running of the first race.

“We understand the consequences and outcomes due to the abandonment which affect not only RACE but the entire industry – through to sponsors, patrons, owners, trainers, jockeys, stablehands, officials and punters – and of course the programming of horses and their races at this important time of year,” RACE Chairman Paul Humphries said.

“As an organisation we need to do better, work with our team, staff, NZTR and industry on process, infrastructure and investment to remove risk where possible to ensure this won’t happen in the future,” he said.

NZTR is mindful of the fact that the abandonment has impacted the programme of a number of horses and that owners have been impacted financially.  Those horses in the abandoned races will be eligible for compensation in line with NZTR’s policy.

Once NZTR has reviewed feedback from NZSTI, a full report from RACE, and the Racing Integrity Board, a further statement will be made outlining the findings.

2 hours ago, rdytdy said:

I would suggest people to go and have a look at the replays of R1 and R3 at Hawera just to get a better picture of the poor conditions that prevailed on the day and Leggy there is a quick bit of footage as they were about to enter the section near the 800m wher you can see the narrowing of the width of the track henece the rail being moved inwards following that race. 

But Ted could they not have known that this was going to be an issue...commonsense says they should have as they are the "experts" its just another example of NZ racing looking very amateurish...JMO...we do ourselves no favours at all.

1 hour ago, shaneMcAlister said:

It needs someone brighter than me to fix this, but I do know racing venues, especially Saturday venues need to be better.  Those racing horses in NZ are fast getting over this shit.  NZTR has limited funds to fix all these tracks, the money is spread too thin.  So pick a select few and spend the money there.  In future if NZTR is flush they can reopen a track or two.  

The abandonment of Trentham will surpise very few. The below is December 2021, less than 6 months ago

Shane I was talking to a couple of trainers who think the tracks at the moment are just a joke, no way they should have even tried to run at Hawera they put the rippers through it 3 weeks ago, and they were saying hard to see a way forward, better to just turn the things out and wait...only option soon in CD will be Wellington as all the others are getting to the Donald ducked stage and even they cant race this weekend...only going from bad to worse.

On 6/9/2022 at 2:48 PM, scooby3051 said:

And who organised the synthetic at Awapuni only ready after winter racing has finished what a joke...but nothing gets said..the next 5 weeks supposed have two meetings at Waverly...two at Trentham a week apart, good luck getting fields there next weekend, Otaki,was hammered dunno how good it will be, Hastings which can you believe it was watered leading up to Mondays meeting....great course management..not,and then supposedly Awapuni, which more than likely will be at Trentham again.How many of these will get canned as they have no options to move anything to anywhere else now.

There are obviously a lot of Bobs ( Brains of Britain ) in charge that have an awesome handle in the NZ racing scene NOT

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

But Ted could they not have known that this was going to be an issue...commonsense says they should have as they are the "experts" its just another example of NZ racing looking very amateurish...JMO...we do ourselves no favours at all.

Yes, surely the course officials and staff, let alone the stipes who walked the course could see the problem BEFORE they ran a race on it.

16 minutes ago, Palliser said:

There are obviously a lot of Bobs ( Brains of Britain ) in charge that have an awesome handle in the NZ racing scene NOT

Yeah - card more races on a winters day on tracks that are already stuffed 

Where possible, NZTR will look to split races in the near future to provide opportunities for those horses that have missed out.

In my opinion, Trentham most probably could have raced successfully tomorrow, because ever since they made the announcement, it's hardly rained or showered and has been blowing a gale.

However making the decision early has saved the owners lots of money in case it did all turn to custard.

Having said that, Trentham is the best track surface in the CD by a country mile, [bar maybe a couple of others Woodville and Hasting?] as we have seen by the last couple of meetings held on the course.

Sadly through mismanagement, the closing down of tracks and an AWT being constructed, the industry is up the creek without a paddle.

In my opinion, if you think the CD is in trouble god knows where the ND's are.

So most of you who still think Saundry was the goods, closing down all the secondary-back up tracks, I suggest you think again.

5 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Shane I was talking to a couple of trainers who think the tracks at the moment are just a joke, no way they should have even tried to run at Hawera they put the rippers through it 3 weeks ago, and they were saying hard to see a way forward, better to just turn the things out and wait...only option soon in CD will be Wellington as all the others are getting to the Donald ducked stage and even they cant race this weekend...only going from bad to worse.

Totally, I got photos from a trainer at 11am yesterday on the course saying this place is a fucking circus.  If he knew what he would see at 11am he would not have travelled 5 hours to get there.  Saying that he had no one where else to go as he wanted to avoid the all weather and wanted a maiden longer than 1400m.....hard to find.

5 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

To paraphrase the classic saying, if Trentham is the answer, it must have been a pretty silly question.

27 minutes ago, Insider said:

Trentham update!

They certainly made the right call yesterday, as it's a foul day here in Wellington this morning. 

A lot of cost, heartache and inconvenience has been averted. 

It was certainly the right decision so they get credit for that. Interestingly, the last time I looked there were virtually no scratchings for the meeting. Obviously when trainers accept for Trentham in the winter time they know exactly what to expect.

On 6/9/2022 at 2:48 PM, scooby3051 said:

And who organised the synthetic at Awapuni only ready after winter racing has finished what a joke...but nothing gets said..the next 5 weeks supposed have two meetings at Waverly...two at Trentham a week apart, good luck getting fields there next weekend, Otaki,was hammered dunno how good it will be, Hastings which can you believe it was watered leading up to Mondays meeting....great course management..not,and then supposedly Awapuni, which more than likely will be at Trentham again.How many of these will get canned as they have no options to move anything to anywhere else now.

Racing in this Country is becoming more embarrassing by the minute. One bloody meeting in the Country, no harness and no greyhounds either. Comparison to Australia ? .. well there isn't one.

I checked today's meetings at Timbuktu, there doing better than us "believe it or not" .. no wonder some trainers and jockeys are moving elsewhere. Bloody Government and Bloody racing boards have a lot to answer for. 

This article is a joke the guy must be on something good talking about getting 400 horses in work at Awapuni but take a look at the course proper what a mess...and they think they gonna race there again soon ...yeah right.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/300608122/synthetic-track-at-awapuni-racecourse-nears-completion?fbclid=IwAR3gCj9UKSqqJdInJTLUSZT72WuNqlQAynbB7japq1XYj_TkNkFeMAtnx20

1 hour ago, Memphis3 said:

Have any race meetings that have been abandoned been transferred to the synthetic tracks yet. 

Whanganui went to Waverley but would it have gone to the Awapuni synthetic? 

Why dont they race at Manawatu raceway, might be a bit tight but might be ok and safe for slow horses.

I watched the video from Hawera - the Irish would call that Good to Yielding.

Seriously, it reminded me of an Irish Flat meeting after a wet October or November at somewhere like Naas or Navan - it's not pretty.

On the question of transferring meetings to AW, it has happened here on a few occasions normally at the same venue so if the Lingfield Turf course was waterlogged, they'd move it to the Polytrack just as happens in the US.

We've had the odd other meeting move - Newbury's April meeting was a lost cause three days before the scheduled day because of rain so they moved it all to Chelmsford. The Doncaster Vertem Futurity card went to Newcastle a few years back - but it's not generally the case given the numbers of meetings up here. In winter, if the turf cards face a prolonged shutdown due to frost and snow they either add extra Flat meetings or stage Bumper cards for NH horses (known as Jumpers' Bumpers) which are effectively Flat races for NH horses needing a run. 

2 hours ago, THE TORCH said:

You've got to remember with Hawera that it was issued that meeting at very late notice. Work was done on the track in preparation for a  meeting at a later date. But hey it's still the best track in Taranaki and always has been. 

Isn't Hawera going to be closed or in line for?