RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

NZTR Statement of Intent next 3 years

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Interesting stuff. I thought the AWT at Awapuni was nearly ready, but I see they don't start racing on it until May 2023.

Was the same at Riccarton. Didn't race on it from when it opened in August until May the following year. I guess they see it as a winter only racing surface, so the AWT horses that can't transition to firmer summer footing will have a six month holiday.

10 hours ago, Leggy said:

Was the same at Riccarton. Didn't race on it from when it opened in August until May the following year. I guess they see it as a winter only racing surface, so the AWT horses that can't transition to firmer summer footing will have a six month holiday.

In fairness I think most AWT effective horses have more of a winter / wet type of action ….so the AWTs will probably be the default winter racing surface 

What interested me is at last it looks like TR have stopped bailing and righted the ship. Now they set a new course.

Its pretty bold, but my worry is the future financial well-being of the punter. This country is heading for hard times. And its all down to politics. Incompetence and evil bastards in the back rooms!

If things don't change we could go back to where TR is destitute again. Pessimism doesn't ride well with me so sorry..

1 minute ago, Nerula said:

What interested me is at last it looks like TR have stopped bailing and righted the ship. Now they set a new course.

Its pretty bold, but my worry is the future financial well-being of the punter. This country is heading for hard times. And its all down to politics. Incompetence and evil bastards in the back rooms!

If things don't change we could go back to where TR is destitute again. Pessimism doesn't ride well with me so sorry..

I think traditionally gambling goes well in tough/recession times.

The TAB's big challenge in my opinion is their site still does not operate the way it should (after close to $100M).  It still needs reloading, still no form for HK racing, app comes back in large font.  Sometimes app doesn't work, sometimes it does.  Still behind oz in terms of what is offered at waht odds.

1 hour ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I think traditionally gambling goes well in tough/recession times.

The TAB's big challenge in my opinion is their site still does not operate the way it should (after close to $100M).  It still needs reloading, still no form for HK racing, app comes back in large font.  Sometimes app doesn't work, sometimes it does.  Still behind oz in terms of what is offered at waht odds.

We must give them credit for some very amusing formlines for Aussie races. It shows they are really switched on to the punters needs.

2 hours ago, Nerula said:

Nelula, are you referring to the current government in your 2nd paragraph?

If so may I remind you that it was the current government that had to bail the TAB out to the tune of 70 million, after taking over!

I do agree with you that we are heading for tough times. So whilst I welcome the new stakes I hope that they don’t have dig into their reserves, all over again, just to maintain what they have promised.

But they are missing the point the battlers the lower end of the spectrum keep it all running...they should have increased the industry lower end more and the top end less...it makes no sense to keep trying to top up the races at the top end...anything any good goes for the real big money in Oz...grass roots is where its needed and they always lose sight of that...total wankers if you ask me....and the biggest one of all is running it CG...his CV is a shocker.

The Pattern Committee downgrades will have an influence.

I agree the bottom levels need lifting more. But the paradox is it will be hard to maintain a good Black Type program if the stakes do not incentivise the support of NZ Racing premier races.

An overseas campaign is very expensive and most do not pay off. Back in 2008 i forked out over 30k for a campaign 1/4 share. I do not regret this as we had an experience of a lifetime but it didn't do the mare any good and that I regret.

2 hours ago, Nerula said:

The Pattern Committee downgrades will have an influence.

I'm not clear what influence that you are talking about. An influence on the breeding industry for sure but for racing? Maybe, if it reduces the funding on our least sustainable races if you measure the direct revenue generated against the stakes funding provided. I don't see that will make any difference to punter participation, competitive racing, improvement of infrastructure or anything else much that matters to the sustainability of NZ racing which did quite fine without pattern racing prior to 1970, group races in the mid-80s. Not that I suggest that we should go back there but it probably correlated with the same time-frame that NZ racing lost its way.

17 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Leggy I know you are a contrarian to my opinions but surely you see that if the the top horses dont race here then the black type races will be down-graded and gazetted stakes for those reduced. IE say Easter Handicap goes Group 2 to Group 3.

Black type races have a few other currents to negotiate too with all these new high stakes NEW races in Australia/NSW.  Would you go for the $5M stake with no black type or the $1.5M group 1.  Should the horse than wins the $5M race be worth any less than the black type winner?  Will the black type races be weaker as a result of horses chasing the stakes?

The expenses are such that you need to win a stake here to fund an overseas campaign. You also need to frank your horses form against others to know you are competitive.

Shane if your horse is a gelding you are racing for money and maybe kudos. I like many i daresay am in ownership for the experience.

3 hours ago, Nerula said:

Leggy I know you are a contrarian to my opinions but surely you see that if the the top horses dont race here then the black type races will be down-graded and gazetted stakes for those reduced. IE say Easter Handicap goes Group 2 to Group 3.

Of course and my point is so they should be downgraded. They are our least sustainable races on a revenue to stakes cost basis. If they were a business unit in your business you would have closed them down years ago.