RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

NZTR increases stakes

7 hours ago, Insider said:

Have I missed a news release?

Where can I find the fantastic new stakes for the Auckland Group 1’s

😂

I haven't seen any specifics yet. Wouldn't surprise me if they want to boost the Auckland cup "up where it belongs."

I'm interested in all the money they plan to pour into the National meeting, Dunedin and Invercargill Cup days and that rating 74 day at Wingatui.

I struggle to get my head around this industry that wants to make everything more effecient, eliminate racing at Wairoa, Marlborough etc because it is too far for horses to travel and yet they are happy to transport 60 odd jumpers down to Riccarton to run a jumps meeting in an Island that has no jumpers.

If I ruled the world and had all the money they seem to have, and the consensus was to increase group stakes, I would have done something like Group 1s $250,000, Group 2s $150,000, Group 3s $100,000, Listed $75,000. At the same time though I would have reduced the total number of group 1s by 2,  group 2s by 3 in total ,  group 3s by 4 in total and listed by 6 in total. That is 15 fewer group and listed races. Being a generous soul I would introduce a $60,000 category for those demoted races and for a few races in contention to be promoted. Under this approach the increases would be virtually self funding.

That would allow industry days to go up to $16,000 minimums, with rating 80s and open races on open days worth $20,000. More importantly I would add a 9th race on industry days in the SI especially for 2yos or 3yos. And still heaps left over to get races like the Reefton Cup up to $40,000.

That took me 20 minutes to think through so I could probably have invoiced NZTR about $50,000 for my expert advice.

11 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

If I ruled the world and had all the money they seem to have, and the consensus was to increase group stakes, I would have done something like Group 1s $250,000, Group 2s $150,000, Group 3s $100,000, Listed $75,000. At the same time though I would have reduced the total number of group 1s by 2,  group 2s by 3 in total ,  group 3s by 4 in total and listed by 6 in total. That is 15 fewer group and listed races. Being a generous soul I would introduce a $60,000 category for those demoted races and for a few races in contention to be promoted. Under this approach the increases would be virtually self funding.

That would allow industry days to go up to $16,000 minimums, with rating 80s and open races on open days worth $20,000. More importantly I would add a 9th race on industry days in the SI especially for 2yos or 3yos. And still heaps left over to get races like the Reefton Cup up to $40,000.

That took me 20 minutes to think through so I could probably have invoiced NZTR about $50,000 for my expert advice.

It would be good if you could backdate your advice about 15 years and then you could invoice them $50,000 a year for that period. With inflation, maybe $100,000 this year. Some of your surplus could be used to have upgraded the track infrastructure in the interim, sorted out the handicapping system and the programming model and you'd now be trying to work out what to advise them to do with all the increased revenue you have generated.

People

There is a serious consideration that will probably come to haunt us vigilantly...

There has been an International Federation of Horseracing Authorities providing direction and comment in respect of black type racing. I have provided all and sundry on this site some time ago, the obligations that all racing nations signed up to the Pattern Committee have, in respect of the thresholds to maintain the ratings for races, in order to be able to call certain races black type races. If you have a conversation with Louis Romanet, who was the head of this organisation, he would tell you that to maintain a certain status of black type race, you have to have a specific number of horses racing against each other, who have been rated at a level commensurate to the status of that black type race. 

To attain or maintain a Group One status, the average rating for the first four finishers in the race must be 115 or higher over a three-year period.

So check this out...not sure where Rock "n Horse is...

image.thumb.png.8bddedb197e55b2b618f536b8045b02d.png

Means all of our group Ones are gone

To attain or maintain a Group Two status, the average rating for the first four finishers in the race must be 108 or higher over a three-year period.

Oh Dear....no Group 2's

To attain or maintain a Group Three status, the average rating for the first four finishers in the race must be 102 or higher over a three-year period.

Oh Dear....sprinters have to be racing against the stayers and 13 horses have to race 15 times in the season against each other

50% of the listed Stakes races gone....

These rating standards for other black type races is on a collision course with the quality and quantity of horses able to race in NZ's black type races. If this continues on its current path, then many of these races' statuses will have to change. This means that what ever the distributions, there may not be the races to make these distributions to.

The underlying issue is of course the quantity and quality of the foals that we produce in the next three years, because we all know that we are about to see the drops in quality foal numbers and mares bred. We have been experiencing this for some time. If we don't have either quantity and quality, there is no way that our black type races with stack up under the regulations..

I seriously don't understand why the bureaucracy isn't panicking...

1 hour ago, Berri said:

People

There is a serious consideration that will probably come to haunt us vigilantly...

There has been an International Federation of Horseracing Authorities providing direction and comment in respect of black type racing. I have provided all and sundry on this site some time ago, the obligations that all racing nations signed up to the Pattern Committee have, in respect of the thresholds to maintain the ratings for races, in order to be able to call certain races black type races. If you have a conversation with Louis Romanet, who was the head of this organisation, he would tell you that to maintain a certain status of black type race, you have to have a specific number of horses racing against each other, who have been rated at a level commensurate to the status of that black type race. 

To attain or maintain a Group One status, the average rating for the first four finishers in the race must be 115 or higher over a three-year period.

To attain or maintain a Group Two status, the average rating for the first four finishers in the race must be 108 or higher over a three-year period.

Oh Dear....no Group 2's

To attain or maintain a Group Three status, the average rating for the first four finishers in the race must be 102 or higher over a three-year period.

Oh Dear....sprinters have to be racing against the stayers and 13 horses have to race 15 times in the season against each other

These rating standards for other black type races is on a collision course with the quality and quantity of horses able to race in NZ's black type races. If this continues on its current path, then many of these races' statuses will have to change. This means that what ever the distributions, there may not be the races to make these distributions to.

The underlying issue is of course the quantity and quality of the foals that we produce in the next three years, because we all know that we are about to see the drops in quality foal numbers and mares bred. We have been experiencing this for some time. If we don't have either quantity and quality, there is no way that our black type races with stack up under the regulations..

They obviously have a surprisingly cunning plan to increase all Group 1s to $300,000 but then they don't have to pay it out as we won't have any Group 1s left. Cleverer than I took them to be.

Hi Berri

A horse that last raced in OZ is removed from NZ ratings until they at least trial again in NZ, hence Rock n Horse not in our current ratings.

The pattern committee will use the Covid excuse again and this should mean little more than warnings.  I spoke to someone that knows a lot more than me about this stuff than me as I believe you should let the cards lay where they fall.  But apparently if you lose status for a race it is very hard to get back.

3 hours ago, Berri said:

People

Oh Dear....no Group 2's

You are using domestic ratings for your exercise Berri - ratings used for the purpose of rating black type races are completely different. see point 9 from the Executive Summary of the 20/21 Pattern Committee report

9. The race rating is determined by the peak World Best Racehorse Ranking (WBRR) that season for the average of the first four finishers in the race. Note that the WBRR has no relationship with the points-based domestic NZ handicap rating and the two measures should not be confused.

Aegon's final rating at the end of 20-21 was 115. Both Melody Belle & Avantage were rated 120 while Levante, before she had won her 2 Gr.1's, was rated 115.

There is no doubt however that there is pressure on some of our black type races because of various factors. Our 3YO ratings have seemed low when we see those horses go to other jurisdictions and immediately be rated points higher. At present we have 6 Group 1's with a warning attached, 4 of them for 3YOs. However the Asian Pattern Committee benchmark for 3YO races looks like it will be reduced by 2 points which will help those races with warnings.

Melody Belle and Avantage certainly helped some races for a while, and that staying mare of Roger James was a godsend for many clubs this season. Not sure if we have many of their like coming along for next season, although I'm sure the stakes increases will see them coming out of the woodwork. Coventina Bay could probably demand an appearance fee wherever she goes.

I’m aware that these ratings are domestic and have used them as the yardstick for what our best are. Although some of our very best are rated 115-120, there simply aren’t enough of them to fulfill the obligation. Same for the lesser ranked black type races.  

The main crux of this is what next? We aren’t replenishing the brood stock  with competitive genetics and the numbers are down while our neighbours up up skilling. Means the rating gap will only be exacerbated further. It is time to panic.