RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Crow

Wanganui

48 minutes ago, Grey Ghost said:

The issue is the lack of investment in tracks and facilities. First Foxton has no facilities for raceday so stop taking about them like there a silver bullet or should the Club build those facilities? How many years ago did they lose those and still nothing to replace them?

So what do Cambridge have ???, theirs are all prefab looking things how hard would it be to set up something temporary there...no silver bullet just commonsense I would of thought.

On 6/5/2022 at 8:40 PM, MrBigStuff said:

Doesn’t make for good racing though, lets all scramble to get to the fast lane

Hang on - how many meetings or races are dictated by the inside draws??? Now we have a track that favours those with "bad" draws and its not acceptable. Please.

This is called preparing or repairing the track...track maintenance like we used to in the old days before we started just throwing sand in the holes instead of replacing the sods...maybe guys we should get back to old ways????The tracks just might be a wee bit better for it

24095-medium.jpeg

gettyimages-970197722-594x594.jpg

11 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

This is called preparing or repairing the track...track maintenance like we used to in the old days before we started just throwing sand in the holes instead of replacing the sods...maybe guys we should get back to old ways????The tracks just might be a wee bit better for it

24095-medium.jpeg

gettyimages-970197722-594x594.jpg

I take it that Is not Whanganuis flash grandstand ?

Wanganui Report put out they now have lost another 3 meetings because of their remedial work done on the 1400m corner makes you wonder what they have done to a track that use to  race 12 months of the year for the last 130 0dd years. Interesting to note if they pass what is required,  the Guineas meeting will only precede if the weather is suitable  a week before racing on the surface they have made. So now its fine weather track WTF

Can anyone confirm the reason Whanganui is out of action because someone form NZTR thought it would be a good idea

to put soil from another region on a sandy track on a problem area ?

seems the sort of thing NZTR would do....

I think that is 90% of our problem with our tracks that the divets aren't replaced straight after a meeting like they used to 

3 minutes ago, nstrip said:

Can anyone confirm the reason Whanganui is out of action because someone form NZTR thought it would be a good idea

I think that is 90% of our problem with our tracks that the divets aren't replaced straight after a meeting like they used to 

yep just stick sand in now thats most of the problem right there.

2 hours ago, JTeaz said:

Woodville to host jumps meetings. How many years since that was the case?

Woodville not deemed a Jumps Venue yet he it is and one that was put to the sword for closure, aren't they fortunate  these tracks like Woodville and Hawera aren't closed as they would have none to prop up the industry, hope they remember them when these other tracks are operationally again and the synthetic at Awapuni is going that they don't miss out on race dates.

1 hour ago, nstrip said:

Hard to get a consistent racing surface doing that, I bet they don't fix the problem that they have created but live with problem by doing this and doing that but hay the problem will still be there until they remove it. Honestly a basic renovation done by amateurs

I worked on the part time track staff at Awapuni in 1970s. Race day we checked all the turns and the landing points for the jumps and came back on Sunday and four of us went round the track twice looking for divots and filling them.

Cunning buggers used to pay us on Saturday morning and usually on Sunday went to work we had spent all our wages the day before 🤣

6 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Awapuni was a great track back in the day long long ago sadly.

Amazing all the improvements and money spent on the track and the track has gone backwards Why? Look at Randwick yesterday heavy 9 with 240mm rainfall last week, shows you how far we are behind in producing racecourses in this day and age

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Awapuni was a great track back in the day long long ago sadly.

I used to go to virtually every meeting at Awapuni during the 80s. It was always a great track with great racing. There were never any complaints about the track. Got the Margaret Bull trifecta in a big race one day, Magnitude and a couple of others. You do wonder how it all went so wrong. The club was so well run, Bill Freeman and several other good administrators. I know things have changed a lot, but you do wonder if some of those adninistrators where still about now whether the industry would have crashed so much.

47 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I used to go to virtually every meeting at Awapuni during the 80s. It was always a great track with great racing. There were never any complaints about the track. Got the Margaret Bull trifecta in a big race one day, Magnitude and a couple of others. You do wonder how it all went so wrong. The club was so well run, Bill Freeman and several other good administrators. I know things have changed a lot, but you do wonder if some of those adninistrators where still about now whether the industry would have crashed so much.

When i seen Hawera was off i was so pissed my wife , not a real racing person , asked "what did they do years ago ?" , i said to her i used to go to Trentham in July , all 3 days , amazing eh 3 days , unheard of ,  and that by the 3rd day the track was such a bog you could hardly see a green blade of grass , never seen them called off , never seen the jocks sooking , just got on with the fucken job , sometimes you couldn't make out the jockey colours . I told her about the day the track was so heavy that they ran a mile in 2mins and the day D Walsh rode a horse in a mile race and raced on the outside rail the whole way and won .

Those were the days racing was GREAT . 

1 hour ago, nomates said:

When i seen Hawera was off i was so pissed my wife , not a real racing person , asked "what did they do years ago ?" , i said to her i used to go to Trentham in July , all 3 days , amazing eh 3 days , unheard of ,  and that by the 3rd day the track was such a bog you could hardly see a green blade of grass , never seen them called off , never seen the jocks sooking , just got on with the fucken job , sometimes you couldn't make out the jockey colours . I told her about the day the track was so heavy that they ran a mile in 2mins and the day D Walsh rode a horse in a mile race and raced on the outside rail the whole way and won .

Those were the days racing was GREAT . 

On several occasions the track was awash but never a hint of abandonment and no such thing as a "false rail".

16 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Was it Colman that Walsh rode on the outside fence all the way to win at Trentham?

I've been scratching my brain trying to remember. I think you may be right WD. I still don't see why surface water makes a track unsafe. They used to just splash through it as long as the footing is secure.

??????

1-15 12 May 84 1600m      $3,800
WELL  Soft C3 , 138 David Walsh $2,450
  • 138, Flat
  •  
  • Bar: 
  • SP: $0.00
  • Rtg: 
  • Wgt: 52.5
  • Car: 53.0
  • LWD: 49.5
  • 2: Love Money, 54.0