RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

New Friday Harness Channel- Any Thoughts?

I am a galloping man but for the last two Friday night's have done something I have not done for 20 years. Bet on Harness racing. 

I am pretty sure it is not designed to be another Trackside so it surprises me about some of the pop shots at the show on this forum. Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot when the industry has come up with an idea that just might work. One presenter who seems a lot of fun another who seems to know his stuff, no mindless racing from all around the world and human interest stories in between - perfect to relax to on a Friday night.

Cheers

Davey

1 hour ago, Davey1 said:

I am a galloping man but for the last two Friday night's have done something I have not done for 20 years. Bet on Harness racing. 

I am pretty sure it is not designed to be another Trackside so it surprises me about some of the pop shots at the show on this forum. Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot when the industry has come up with an idea that just might work. One presenter who seems a lot of fun another who seems to know his stuff, no mindless racing from all around the world and human interest stories in between - perfect to relax to on a Friday night.

Cheers

Davey

Been reading the comments and taking in all feedback  but after reading this post I feel compelled to say that this poster has nailed it here. 

47 minutes ago, JTeaz said:

Been reading the comments and taking in all feedback  but after reading this post I feel compelled to say that this poster has nailed it here. 

Personally I think the show is fine

As I have stated I don't watch trackside that much , but due to different work habits was watching just after dark last night, the two or three hour barrage of racing from oz is good, because the quality is good.

1 hour ago, JTeaz said:

Unless they sort out the visual definition Jason, only the hardy would watch it for hours on end, no matter what the content. 
HD is the minimum expected standard these days…..

Specsavers will be doing a roaring trade otherwise……😵

9 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Unless they sort out the visual definition Jason, only the hardy would watch it for hours on end, no matter what the content. 
HD is the minimum expected standard these days…..

Specsavers will be doing a roaring trade otherwise……😵

Given we have a minute budget i think you really need to give more credit to the 2. Yes 2 people behind the scenes who make the show possible. We have produced 5 shows to date on a 40k budget when trackside have a million dollar budget. Im not quite sure what you were expecting when we have had very little support from anyone. Karen and i are almost working for free and our 2 technical masterminds are supplying their own gear and not even earning  minimum wage.

The HD part is frustrating but as far as we are concerned we have met the brief which was set out originally. It is now up to the higher ups to give us more money so we can take the show to the next level.

As i am a betting man i would be setting the likelihood of the show continuong past this week at 200/1

Jason and Karen, I appreciate your efforts , magnificent and chance to become the most watched HR programme. The grumps amongst us only want to be negative. Sure not as polished  although last week purchased larger new Tv and picture quality improved greatly so have been watching all night.I remember being invited to the  Hutt studios when trackside had its first night with Karen Fenton Ellis and George Simon having a lot of probs and eventually came right with a huge budget (must have been about 1990) A fresh opportunity to have our  own channel is too good an opportunity to miss out on. (after accountants have shut virtually  everything else down) Good Luck .. and congratulations

48 minutes ago, JTeaz said:

Given we have a minute budget i think you really need to give more credit to the 2. Yes 2 people behind the scenes who make the show possible. We have produced 5 shows to date on a 40k budget when trackside have a million dollar budget. Im not quite sure what you were expecting when we have had very little support from anyone. Karen and i are almost working for free and our 2 technical masterminds are supplying their own gear and not even earning  minimum wage.

The HD part is frustrating but as far as we are concerned we have met the brief which was set out originally. It is now up to the higher ups to give us more money so we can take the show to the next level.

As i am a betting man i would be setting the likelihood of the show continuong past this week at 200/1

“This new show will be funded by the ATC, HRNZ and sponsors Woodlands Stud and Stonewall Stud.”

Should be simple then. If they want this to succeed, put the money up.
TAB should also be contributing surely…? 

They seem to have thrown in $10k each and left you to it. Who is co ordinating things ?

I wasn’t expecting anything, if it hadn’t been posted on here, like many, I wouldn’t have known it was on. Communication and promotion needs work obviously.

Comments are personal views only and might help down the line.

As they say “Opinions are like arseholes, everyone’s got one”….:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, JTeaz said:

This would be unfortunate for a number of reasons.......6 x weeks is a very short trial period , particularly at this time of year.

Sure you have had a couple of Group 1 meetings but also nights with both small and low quality meetings , plus not going up against comparable meetings last year. The meetings are different plus covid  complicates things and things just getting back to 'normal'.

ATC [ J.MacKinnon] is taking credit for this innovation / trial.

When they announced it they said it would be 12 x weeks , then later said they had invited Addington to be part of it too !. It was ATC's baby !

Among the Financial debacle that is ATC , they recently announced that the Club is in a strong financial position [ Equity strong , best ever Net Asset position , plus they said all cash flow requirements currently under control.]

The pokies pay most of the 'racenight' expenses while more vacant spaces being rented out so no cashflow issues.

The ATC should have no excuses not to continue the trial and give it a decent chance.......they said an indepth analysis would take place as to the future of the trial.

6 x weeks is not long enough for an indepth trial ,particularly when ATC have served you up some 7 race programs and small fields and the Channel not widely advertised.

You need to push hard and insist on a longer trial etc.

Personally I have seen very little of the Show as I usually attend meetings !

Also personally , I enjoy the fantastic job done by Jo Stevens with 'best of nights' plus winning interviews and various chats with industry participants...ditto Nigel's work in South.

They too kicked off on on a shoestring budget ...nothing !

This show will not be back on air this year.

I feel hrnz have missed a major opportunity here to capture a whole new audience.   they should of supported this model of broadcasting racing more, at the end of the day they are the main benefactors via a number of different entry points.

I personally feel that the broadcasting of race meetings in new zealand need to directly disconnected from any wagering partner, just look at some of the broadcasting models that work extremely well in Australia 

1 hour ago, Iraklis said:

Lad mate, I really liked the Show it had an old school feel, with their behind the scene stories, interviews, and info....bloody magic, shame it's been lost

Cheers Iraklis

I also liked that feel of the show I get over the trackside coverage they need to to those storys on the behind the industry take the public on the whole journey.