RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
THE TORCH

Luke Radich

What a blessing it was to see him on Weigh In again today. The guy talks more sense than the whole Trackside staff combined. Id even go so far to say he's the best sports presenter in NZ (not a difficult achievement when you reflect on it).

He had 3 "rants" on the show - all three were full of informed, calculated, and logical statements. Why oh why is this guy not used more often??!! And to think a big-headed wanna-be was the catalyst to him leaving the channel all those years ago. Criminal. 

I thought he was very good on the show today too, his rant about the RIU advertising their "tell tale line" during prime time racing was particulary spot on. Makes a new watcher confirm their preconceived thoughts that racing is rigged.  When we all know it is fairly clean. 

Of course racing is 99.9% clean…..that’s why it’s inexplicable that the RIB costs the industry 14 million a year, and why you now have ex Deputy Commissioner Mike Clements in charge, supported by ex Auckland Area Commander Gary Davey…..it’s bizarre that we pay these ex cops hundreds and hundreds of thousands in salaries to do absolutely nothing useful ……given that there really are no villains in racing 

The extraordinary thing is that the industry is too weak and gutless to stand up to this ludicrous excess 

These resources should be spent on education and adding value to the game, rather than wasting it on the RIB and retired cops 

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Of course racing is 99.9% clean…..that’s why it’s inexplicable that the RIB costs the industry 14 million a year, and why you now have ex Deputy Commissioner Mike Clements in charge, supported by ex Auckland Area Commander Gary Davey…..it’s bizarre that we pay these ex cops hundreds and hundreds of thousands in salaries to do absolutely nothing useful ……given that there really are no villains in racing 

The extraordinary thing is that the industry is too weak and gutless to stand up to this ludicrous excess 

These resources should be spent on education and adding value to the game, rather than wasting it on the RIB and retired cops 

We never needed all this excess in the good old days LOL and I would say more people to be caught then than now...about 5 to 10 million wasted on useless extras in the industry that could be put into getting local apprentices and stablehands set up with a degree or certificate so trainers dont get all these court cases against them...that is useful use of resources not useless use of resources as is the case now.

5 hours ago, THE TORCH said:

What a blessing it was to see him on Weigh In again today. The guy talks more sense than the whole Trackside staff combined. Id even go so far to say he's the best sports presenter in NZ (not a difficult achievement when you reflect on it).

He had 3 "rants" on the show - all three were full of informed, calculated, and logical statements. Why oh why is this guy not used more often??!! And to think a big-headed wanna-be was the catalyst to him leaving the channel all those years ago. Criminal. 

Yes he's a great talent. How good would it be if he had a weekly show to discuss racing issues, interview guests, look at international racing etc.

10 hours ago, mckenzie said:

Yes he's a great talent. How good would it be if he had a weekly show to discuss racing issues, interview guests, look at international racing etc.

Id say Trackside would be mad to do that.......it would only highlight the immature and amateur bunch of presenters we have had to put up with since Day 1 of the channel. 

Radich is far too classy for them. He is a lawyer who pops back to "Weigh In" and immediately hits key issues in a direct and meaningful way. A breath of fresh air compared to the stupidity we hear every week like "wins by panels" and "good shopping". Give me strength.

51 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Luck Radich has always been a talent with common sense solutions but far too bright for most of the leeches running racing.
He would show up all those career corporates...so there is no way they'd want him rocking the cushy boat (Titantic).

Luke , and he probably is very lucky as well , is a great guy to listen to ,very knowledgable and I always loved him when on previously .

He had a great knowledge on many sports ,and in particular racing and he was a Tasman man .Obviously with his law qualifications he was possibly over qualified to be just presenting from a Trackside studio.

My friend used to say he reminded him of an undertaker....quite a stern serious complexion.

So I read Torch's post with interest and decided to take a peep at what he was in convulsions over and praying to get strength from above.

I saw a very relaxed Luke enjoying his opportunity to give his opinion on the weekends racing and chip in with some rants !

The mighty Wairio Cup warmed him up....he called a couple of the runs in that deplorable !!!!!

He ranted about the Computer Generated picks in the Australian race form guide presented to us Kiwis......bang on ....employ a person .Bang On !

He then commented that all  NZ bred horses should be in running for end of season awards , even if solely racing overseas.....interesting opinion but probably not overly supported.

He made a few suggestions of horses who could win the awards this year.....standard stuff.

He honestly described recent Austalian race conditions with shocking rain and visibility as disastrous.........good on him. Very few point out negatives re Aussie racing . Good on him !

Then at end he mentioned that he could add support to Verry Eleegant 's owners trying their luck in Europe ...the program seemed to be leaning to saying it was a bad thing to take the horse away from CWaller etc etc. He was just going to explain how International travel was more normal now days, and to impress the old buggers he brought up the time when Harness horse Vanderford was off to USA and................the program ended with Luke trying to finish the story.

I doubt the Racing bosses wanted that story retold.......a horse being beaten to death with an Axe !

And he was smiling while trying to get it out.

Yes ,Luke was in very relaxed mood !

But is he a game changer ?

How many other than Torch actually watch that show ?

20 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

We never needed all this excess in the good old days LOL and I would say more people to be caught then than now...about 5 to 10 million wasted on useless extras in the industry that could be put into getting local apprentices and stablehands set up with a degree or certificate so trainers dont get all these court cases against them...that is useful use of resources not useless use of resources as is the case now.

Unsure how the RIU excess costs crept into a thread on Luke R , but I feel it worth recalling how this RIU thing was born in NZ .

Following the GFC , NZ looked to be in major recession with high unemployment and less consumer spending.

Many predicted doom and gloom ...racing was worried.

The NZ Racing Board about 2010 did a Nielson Research survey and asked the NZ public many questions re their opinion on NZ Racing and wagering.

None of the results were particularly good.

Only 16% of respondents had a positive image of NZ Racing and wagering.

Only 22% thought Racing was run with honestly and integrity.

I remember these results vividly.....not good .....and the Board obviously felt obliged to act with some urgency on this.

Obviously since then the costs have ballooned out of control , and the runaway train is hard to stop !

Thanks Tassy … it’s important we know how the ( really ) old white blokes feel :) 

I do admit racing has historically had a dodgy public perception …. but I blame that on colonisation and global warming … oops… I’m going into Chloe Swarbrick mode now 

The reality is that the public jaundice against racing is fashioned by the sentiments of losers …. and 99.9% of punters are losers… that’s how the TAB operates of course, by exploiting losers 

You need only read the sentiments of those on Cafe ( particularly the harness thread ) to know how bitter losers can be … 0800 Operation Inca…. “I know a blood doper” 

The irony is that the extravagant RIB, and all their overpaid, paranoid, evidence fabricating, ex cops are funded by pokies…. and the ultimate losers, as in the exploited vulnerable members of society, are pokie players 

How rich is the irony … but they can’t see it 

18 hours ago, tasman man said:

Luke , and he probably is very lucky as well , is a great guy to listen to ,very knowledgable and I always loved him when on previously .

He had a great knowledge on many sports ,and in particular racing and he was a Tasman man .Obviously with his law qualifications he was possibly over qualified to be just presenting from a Trackside studio.

My friend used to say he reminded him of an undertaker....quite a stern serious complexion.

So I read Torch's post with interest and decided to take a peep at what he was in convulsions over and praying to get strength from above.

I saw a very relaxed Luke enjoying his opportunity to give his opinion on the weekends racing and chip in with some rants !

The mighty Wairio Cup warmed him up....he called a couple of the runs in that deplorable !!!!!

He ranted about the Computer Generated picks in the Australian race form guide presented to us Kiwis......bang on ....employ a person .Bang On !

He then commented that all  NZ bred horses should be in running for end of season awards , even if solely racing overseas.....interesting opinion but probably not overly supported.

He made a few suggestions of horses who could win the awards this year.....standard stuff.

He honestly described recent Austalian race conditions with shocking rain and visibility as disastrous.........good on him. Very few point out negatives re Aussie racing . Good on him !

Then at end he mentioned that he could add support to Verry Eleegant 's owners trying their luck in Europe ...the program seemed to be leaning to saying it was a bad thing to take the horse away from CWaller etc etc. He was just going to explain how International travel was more normal now days, and to impress the old buggers he brought up the time when Harness horse Vanderford was off to USA and................the program ended with Luke trying to finish the story.

I doubt the Racing bosses wanted that story retold.......a horse being beaten to death with an Axe !

And he was smiling while trying to get it out.

Yes ,Luke was in very relaxed mood !

But is he a game changer ?

How many other than Torch actually watch that show ?

Yes he is a game changer due to the simple fact that he talks sense! That is the deplorable level that Trackside has fallen to. Common sense is a rarity. I rarely watch Weigh In nowadays, but did tune into this episode when someone notified me that Luke was on. Id say a lot of others might have done the same. Id love to know the ratings for when Luke is on compared to when he isnt. 

It must be a nervy watch for the likes of Pops, Sweens, and Co. when he is a guest. It doesnt do their reputations one iota of good.

It reminds me of those propaganda news stations in Russia & North Korea where if you go off the official government line and say what's really going on you're likely to be never seen again.

Would be great if Luke had a podcast where he could say what he wanted without wondering if he'd get invited back again.