RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

Sore greyhounds

I am only a casual viewer of greyhound racing but have noticed in the last few days that a number of dogs are noticeably sore when they are walked to the starting boxes. Some are bandaged and others have a white ointment on part of their legs. Each one I have noticed have run poorly. There heads are bobbing and they are not stretching out properly in their races. Can someone tell me if dogs are vet checked prior to racing?

19 hours ago, gubellini said:

I am only a casual viewer of greyhound racing but have noticed in the last few days that a number of dogs are noticeably sore when they are walked to the starting boxes. Some are bandaged and others have a white ointment on part of their legs. Each one I have noticed have run poorly. There heads are bobbing and they are not stretching out properly in their races. Can someone tell me if dogs are vet checked prior to racing?

Every dog undergoes a vet check on the table before it is locked into it’s kennel after arriving on track.

weighed and vet checked

gubellini, you may have picked the wrong days to watch.  Many dogs including some past champions have raced with strapping or vaseline on their legs.

Sometimes strapping is used as a support for an old prior injury whilst vaseline is used on the many dogs that have track legs, which are quite often also strapped as well. Wrists, stoppers, hocks and track legs are common strapping areas.

Track legs {whereby a dog brushes the inside of it's hind leg against it's elbow} are quite common, and in many cases can be an inherited trait e.g: New Tears line - most of his offspring had track legs. Strapping and greasing with vaseline is a preventative measure so that if the dog does strike itself it lessens the impact or deflects it thereby reducing the risk of injury.       

On 5/19/2022 at 10:35 PM, Flabbergasted said:

gubellini, you may have picked the wrong days to watch.  Many dogs including some past champions have raced with strapping or vaseline on their legs.

Sometimes strapping is used as a support for an old prior injury whilst vaseline is used on the many dogs that have track legs, which are quite often also strapped as well. Wrists, stoppers, hocks and track legs are common strapping areas.

Track legs {whereby a dog brushes the inside of it's hind leg against it's elbow} are quite common, and in many cases can be an inherited trait e.g: New Tears line - most of his offspring had track legs. Strapping and greasing with vaseline is a preventative measure so that if the dog does strike itself it lessens the impact or deflects it thereby reducing the risk of injury.       

A little like Humans with vaseline and strapping when living with injuries then huh?

On 5/9/2022 at 2:52 PM, MrBigStuff said:

Every dog undergoes a vet check on the table before it is locked into it’s kennel after arriving on track.

weighed and vet checked

Perhaps the dogs and their trainers need to be tested for drugs of any kind before racing on the day.  

On 9/1/2022 at 4:33 AM, diesel said:

'May have picked the wrong days to watch', Interesting comment, please explain

Well, the above post was a month ago and still no explanation. That appears to be consistent with those in management of greyhound racing whom continue to bury their heads in the sand. And also some believe this code should have their own channel, get real!  As I consider this code to be cruel and inhumane to the dogs, I refuse to watch. 

Diesel,You worry me with your attempt to create an argument re greyhound racing being cruel and inhumane in your opinion.

Yet you state you hardly ever have watched them and appear to have no knowledge of the way they are prepared and looked after particularly before they race.

All forms of sport, equine, canine, and all human sports involve strapping, grease etc on legs to prevent rubbing injury.

Someone here previously explained this comprehensively to you and is bang on, the white “grease” is water soluble and helps against rubbing, certainly not an ointment to treat an injury, same basically as what my knees were covered with when I played rugby.

The vet goes over every part of every dog before they are kenneled before racing.

These animals absolutely love to race, they are treated as family, and are brilliant pets after racing 

Re the drug question that is a human thing that has crept into our society as a whole, doctors, lawyers etc too involved just by reading the press, one bad egg does not mean it is rife and the swabbing system in all sports will catch the bad eggs.

Not my field but I would suggest drugs and injury to animals is way more prevalent in domestic pets than you may realise.

Diesel, I do hope this helps you understand the love and care these neat athletic animals get, probably better than most children get, but I do have a question for you 

I do hope you are not a placard carrying activist on here trying to get a bite as your questions were originally answered pretty well I thought.

Womby, I am definitely not a placard carrying activist and certainly not into creating an argument nor looking to get a bite. I haven't stated that I 'have hardly ever have watched them', I used to mainly for fun and betting interests, and attended some meetings over the years. Also can recall Misty Anna, a top racing dog and watching the seemingly unbeatable HiFi Allegro, that was exciting. The only explanation I have asked for was about the comment 'May have picked the wrong days to watch".  I haven't asked any questions, you may find another poster has. I absolutely love all animals and to see any suffering is extremely upsetting. 

On 10/1/2022 at 9:36 AM, Womby said:

Diesel,You worry me with your attempt to create an argument re greyhound racing being cruel and inhumane in your opinion.

Yet you state you hardly ever have watched them and appear to have no knowledge of the way they are prepared and looked after particularly before they race.

All forms of sport, equine, canine, and all human sports involve strapping, grease etc on legs to prevent rubbing injury.

Someone here previously explained this comprehensively to you and is bang on, the white “grease” is water soluble and helps against rubbing, certainly not an ointment to treat an injury, same basically as what my knees were covered with when I played rugby.

The vet goes over every part of every dog before they are kenneled before racing.

These animals absolutely love to race, they are treated as family, and are brilliant pets after racing 

Re the drug question that is a human thing that has crept into our society as a whole, doctors, lawyers etc too involved just by reading the press, one bad egg does not mean it is rife and the swabbing system in all sports will catch the bad eggs.

Not my field but I would suggest drugs and injury to animals is way more prevalent in domestic pets than you may realise.

Diesel, I do hope this helps you understand the love and care these neat athletic animals get, probably better than most children get, but I do have a question for you 

I do hope you are not a placard carrying activist on here trying to get a bite as your questions were originally answered pretty well I thought.

Womby..perfectly reasonable question from Diesel. To be honest NZGRA do absolutely nothing to promote dog racing in a positive way, they don't even react let alone being pro Active. I'm sorry but it has all become a joke.

Why am I angry ? .. because I love the dogs and it's exactly that element that has gone from the sport, love of the dogs.