RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Roger Sugrue

Eulogy Show

congrats to the connections.....sorry but I'd never heard of the horse until I browsed the fields last night......and with that name I thought surely not.....

but yes ....well named ...6th Dam Show Gate......12th Dam Eulogy

and then watching the race I thought ...Show Gate's colours.........is that right..........Leo you wore her colours....you'd remember....

anyway congrats  to all of those who've kept the Show Gate maternal  breed going........

3 hours ago, Roger Sugrue said:

congrats to the connections.....sorry but I'd never heard of the horse until I browsed the fields last night......and with that name I thought surely not.....

and then watching the race I thought ...Show Gate's colours.........is that right..........Leo you wore her colours....you'd remember....

anyway congrats  to all of those who've kept the Show Gate maternal  breed going........

As a  former neighbour of SG 's owner/trainer I have kept my eye on the breed. 

Sir Tristam got involved ,as did Oaks stud then BJ Anderton , and the breed has left some handy horses including Buster Jones and Showella.

You are correct , the red and white colours are those of the GBT / Showgate combo , but I unsure of the connection there.

GBT had no family but was well known in the area.

Someone may know.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:49 PM, Roger Sugrue said:

Eulogy video here:

https://youtu.be/uYVGXyzocM0

ive am still breeding from the eulogy line…

48 minutes ago, Patiti said:

The show gate branch?

Showgates dam Minglow was by Globe of Light - Minga.

Minga was Limond - Motley.

Motley was Absurd - Pennon.

Pennon was Coriander - Eulogy.

Gordon bought Minglow in 1957 at Trentham sales , she won 8 races from 800 to 1600m.

In 1958 Gordon bought Subtrist at Trentham.

She traced back to a mare by Absurd from Eulogy.

She left several good horses , the best being Middy [ by Messmate] who won over 20 races incl NZ Cup .

1 hour ago, Roger Sugrue said:

Subtrist......yes she left some good ones.....a colt  Take Your Leave comes to mind

anyway the GBT ones I remember in addition to Show Gate  from my teenage years....Every Show, Show Keeper, Going Some, Gates Ajar.....all accomplished Open Class horses

A chestnut called Sandy [ by Afghanistan] was a brilliant type in brief career and Rose Gate won a few before haemorrhaging in a race at Riccarton.

Afghan Queen [ out of Swan Queen] both won a few , ditto Boy From Dundee , Tarata , Troilus , Double Gate , Rustic Gate , and earlier Cobble all had their moments.

Every Show and Sporting Show were out of Showgate and good winners.

Honey Crepe coming along didn't help the breed !

Show Keeper was a very good horse...... with him ,Gordon won the Ashburton Cup [2200m] easily fresh up after his track work time was the fastest 1000m ever recorded on their track ,and GT said at the time ,maybe he should be in the main sprint ! He had also won fresh up at huge odds over 2000m as a 4 yr old !

On 5/5/2022 at 12:49 PM, Roger Sugrue said:

On 5/8/2022 at 8:26 PM, tasman man said:

A chestnut called Sandy [ by Afghanistan] was a brilliant type in brief career and Rose Gate won a few before haemorrhaging in a race at Riccarton.

Afghan Queen [ out of Swan Queen] both won a few , ditto Boy From Dundee , Tarata , Troilus , Double Gate , Rustic Gate , and earlier Cobble all had their moments.

Every Show and Sporting Show were out of Showgate and good winners.

Honey Crepe coming along didn't help the breed !

Show Keeper was a very good horse...... with him ,Gordon won the Ashburton Cup [2200m] easily fresh up after his track work time was the fastest 1000m ever recorded on their track ,and GT said at the time ,maybe he should be in the main sprint ! He had also won fresh up at huge odds over 2000m as a 4 yr old !

Thanks for your comments regarding Eulogy Show 

A near lifetime fascinating with Show Gate lead me to take the opportunity to continue this line resulting in Eulogy Show. 

Not for one moment would l suggest that she is anywhere near the Great Mare but giving us fulfilling moments now.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, tasman man said:

As a  former neighbour of SG 's owner/trainer I have kept my eye on the breed. 

Sir Tristam got involved ,as did Oaks stud then BJ Anderton , and the breed has left some handy horses including Buster Jones and Showella.

You are correct , the red and white colours are those of the GBT / Showgate combo , but I unsure of the connection there.

GBT had no family but was well known in the area.

Someone may know.

Gordon had a distant relation from the North Island pop up after he passed.

The estate was large

He also left Monies to a few local people that had helped him over the years.

I registered his Colours after purchasing Every Cloud .

My Father was close to Gordon and l spent many a day on his property 

1 hour ago, Mark White said:

The estate was large

Great that you've carried on the legacy.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:35 AM, Mark White said:

The estate was large

Your Dad wasn’t Ted White was he?

1 hour ago, Mark White said:

No Ted is my Uncle

Tom is my Father

Ok, 40 + years ago I knew your uncle’s wife (through work) and her daughter Margot. 
Sorry, I’ve forgotten Ted’s wife’s name (she was a lovely lady) but I do remember Margot’s name for some reason. Maybe it was because I had reason to go into the ANZ Bank in Mosgiel 3 or 4 years ago and Margot remembered my name! 
At the time I had horses with Rex Cochrane and Brian Anderton and was “selling space” in my spare time for the Bloodhorse. 
Doing that actually gave me the opportunity to meet Gordon because of his stallion.
Those were the days!