RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

Riccarton AW Track Racing

Begins this Thursday , be an interesting exercise to see which trainers support the meeting and whether it attracts punters dollars

Saw on Love  Racing site that nominations had been extended till Tuesday. Surely not a good look ?

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

I see they have abandoned Woodville as it may be a Good 2...why not just have Good 3 as the best rating so they never cancel a meeting...and how would you know there is certainly going to be no rain 6 days out...seems a strange call???

Abandoned Steeplechase races at Te Rapa on Saturday as well being too firm.

They routinely cancel jumps meetings up here if the ground is Firm and there is no prospect of irrigation, natural or otherwise. Taunton's meeting last week was lost for that reason. 

It's a problem if we get a dry spring or autumn.

As for Riccarton's synthetic track (Strathayr presumably or is it Tapeta?) I assume it can be managed to produce whatever surface you want. As it seems so dry in NZ currently, perhaps it will be useful for those winter gallopers who don't want firm ground (I imagine the main purpose was the opposite but that's the point of synthetic tracks).

Obviously in 1965 nobody was too concerned about the state of the track at Ellerslie on Northern Steeples day. NZ Herald June 7th 1965 only one scratching on the whole card. Honestly won the Hack mile in 1;41 and King of Luck won the 7 furlongs in 1:31

Ellerslie.jpg

6 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

I see the trainers have voted with their nominations...Saturday on the grass has big fields mostly..unlike Thursday on the artificial rubbish track....seems more white elephants.

Big stake money difference the reason?

40 minutes ago, arjay said:

Big stake money difference the reason?

I'd say that would have a bit to do with it along with trainer assessment of which horses might be suited by the surface or not.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

I'd say that would have a bit to do with it along with trainer assessment of which horses might be suited by the surface or not.

So if thats the case why do normal mid week meetings or Industry days get much bigger fields...I think you will see it won't be well supported...just my opinion FWIW.

4 hours ago, Cubes said:

Cossack Story good e/w in the last but how does one know whom will handle the syn track ?

Gotta coin cubes? Heads they like it, tails they don't. That said, a  number have trialled on it. That might provide some clues.

A lot will depend on how the track has been prepared.

I've seen some Polytrack surfaces produce a lot of kickback but if it's properly harrowed there should be little or no kickback at all.

Over here, Polytrack tends to be harrowed (I think) and inch and a half to produce what we call a Standard surface which would equate to Good/Good to Firm on grass but it can be harrowed deeper to replicate a slower surface, nearer Soft and this occurs in the winter to accommodate meetings for jumps horses but is also a response to very cold conditions.

The surface obviously takes rain without any problem but it can run a bit quicker.