RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Emily Upjohn

Now 7/1 for the Oaks.

She's by Sea the Stars out of a Barathea mare - the dam actually ran in the equivalent maiden in 2009 finishing second but ended up a handicapper with a rating in the 90s.

EMILY UPJOHN clearly has a lot of talent as she demolished these but that's still a long way from Group 1 and I wonder if she'll take in either the Lingfield Oaks Trial or the Musidora. To be fair, there's no real star among the 3-y-o fillies as yet though that may change after the 1000 Guineas.

Yes, that was a real demolition job - Gosden starting to talk of her in the same terms as the great ENABLE but she's got a lot to do to justify that at this stage.

7/1 for the Oaks though that may well shorten - she's looked good on the galloping tracks, will she handle the ups and downs of The Downs?

15 minutes ago, Insider said:

I loved Frankie's interview and explanation of it all. 

If only our Jockey's could express themselves like that.

48 years ago the new Mayor of Auckland could but that's another story!

I’m reliably informed that he had no peer 

Re EU, I’m not convinced that’s a top of the ground action …..any thoughts ?…..mind you Frankie seemed to suggest that ground didn’t help her action 

York is vastly different to Epsom too in my experience …BerriFruit, is she any good on decent ground ? or down a hill ?

9 hours ago, poundforpound said:

I’m reliably informed that he had no peer 

Re EU, I’m not convinced that’s a top of the ground action …..any thoughts ?…..mind you Frankie seemed to suggest that ground didn’t help her action 

York is vastly different to Epsom too in my experience …BerriFruit, is she any good on decent ground ? or down a hill ?

EMILY UPJOHN has run three times - her debut was on the Tapeta at Wolverhampton and she's won at Sandown and York which are galloping tracks - Sandown has a long uphill finish while York is much flatter.

I don't know what the ground will be at Epsom in three weeks - I'm sure they'll water to prevent it getting too fast and in recent times the Oaks always seems to be run on slow ground - both ENABLE and SNOWFALL won on soft ground. If it's soft, I worry less about horses handling the track as long as they handle the ground. 

I often think if they are that good none of this matters - her sire SEA THE STARS was a real champion from winning the 2000 Guineas on quick ground to winning the Derby on Good ground and the Arc on Heavy ground.

We now have DESERT CROWN as 2/1 Derby favourite after his win in the Dante this afternoon. I'd worry more about him on quick ground at Epsom but the Derby will only be his third outing. His sire, NATHANIEL, did his best running on slow ground but he's out of a Green Desert mare so will he really get 2400m on slow turf?

9 hours ago, Insider said:

I loved Frankie's interview and explanation of it all. 

If only our Jockey's could express themselves like that.

48 years ago the new Mayor of Auckland could but that's another story!

For all his ups and downs, Dettori remains the most widely recognised figure in horse racing in the UK. He has at times moved beyond the sport to general celebrity but he was in his younger days a more mercurial character. Parenthood and age has stabilised him as is does so many others - he doesn't chase round the country any more - he cherry picks the best meetings and often the best horses much as Lester Piggott did.

Could he be a post-racing media pundit? I'm sure it wouldn't take much for him to be suitable for tv racing - after all, the likes of A P McCoy and Ruby Walsh are now regulars on the tv screens. Jason Weaver, who rode with Dettori for many years, has carved out a hugely successful second career as a tv pundit and he knows whereof he speaks because he does the bread and butter meetings for Sky Sports Racing at Windsor, Yarmouth and Bath as well as the big meetings for ITV.

P4P...she's got the data of an extremely good horse. We first monitored her in February and put her on the list. She improved a lot leading up to the Novice race at Sandown. Nothing to suggest she minds a good track. We all know what Epsom is like, but although a big powerful filly, she's seriously well balanced

Interesting filly

I don’t doubt she’ll get the trip but she’s not really an Epsom type for mine, more of an Ascot type, not light enough on her feet for Epsom, and she won’t like coming down the hill with that action.

She’s also a bit uptight early in her races don’t you think ?, and if they get a decent crowd she might just get fried pre race 

I’d be laying her if it’s good ground and a big crowd 

Are they much of a crop this year, the fillies that is ?.. BerriFruit, you know your English form 

Be fun to watch though, as the classics invariably are ( now she’ll probably trot up by ten !! ) 

6 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Interesting filly

I don’t doubt she’ll get the trip but she’s not really an Epsom type for mine, more of an Ascot type, not light enough on her feet for Epsom, and she won’t like coming down the hill with that action.

She’s also a bit uptight early in her races don’t you think ?, and if they get a decent crowd she might just get fried pre race 

I’d be laying her if it’s good ground and a big crowd 

Are they much of a crop this year, the fillies that is ?.. BerriFruit, you know your English form 

Be fun to watch though, as the classics invariably are ( now she’ll probably trot up by ten !! ) 

That's the sort of comment which would lose you a vote in the Auckland Mayoral election (assuming I had a vote, which of course I don't).

2 hours ago, stodge said:

That's the sort of comment which would lose you a vote in the Auckland Mayoral election (assuming I had a vote, which of course I don't).

I wasn’t aware Emily Upjohn could vote !!
I did watch her Sandown win last night, she was quite resolute there, in an average sort of a race ……and Frankie was certainly enthusiastic about her…but he often is gushy 

As for Wolverhampton….spare me that rubbish
I still think she’s a promising mile and half plus horse who needs a good gallop, give in the ground, and a decent flat track 

Why wouldn’t you be looking at the Arc if she’s improving and ends up good enough, she’ll get an off track there, or the Leger if she’s not quite up there with the best ?

3 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

I wasn’t aware Emily Upjohn could vote 

I just thought 36 pages of Northern Hemisphere comment might suggest I know a bit about English form but you go running off to @Berri instead...

Deeply offended - :)

10 minutes ago, stodge said:

I just thought 36 pages of Northern Hemisphere comment might suggest I know a bit about English form but you go running off to @Berri instead...

Deeply offended - :)

Oh, makes sense

I’ve known BerriFruit for about 40 years, and we both love the same woman, so I tend to defer to him by default when I need expert advice on these upper class / posh matters

12 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Oh, makes sense

I’ve known BerriFruit for about 40 years, and we both love the same woman, so I tend to defer to him by default when I need expert advice on these upper class / posh matters

Well, I've learnt something new this evening.

Far be it from me to intrude on your beautiful friendship - I shall merely say I'm here if you ever need me on matters British racing related.

You're also more than welcome to read and comment on my ramblings.

8 minutes ago, stodge said:

Well, I've learnt something new this evening.

Far be it from me to intrude on your beautiful friendship - I shall merely say I'm here if you ever need me on matters British racing related.

You're also more than welcome to read and comment on my ramblings.

Always happy to listen…..until you mention Wolverhampton, Kempton Park, any other all weather track

British racing ( in my mind ) is limited to York, Doncaster, Newbury, Ascot, Epsom and Goodwood 

The rest are just for education, or practice runs for Cheltenham 

1 minute ago, poundforpound said:

Always happy to listen…..until you mention Wolverhampton, Kempton Park, any other all weather track

British racing ( in my mind ) is limited to York, Doncaster, Newbury, Ascot, Epsom and Goodwood 

The rest are just for education, or practice runs for Cheltenham 

Understood - Could I add Sandown to your list? NOT all-weather and top class racing with the Eclipse in early July.

Come on Stodgie...that's a weird approach to P4P.  My second home is the UK and I've been immersed in UK racing since the early 1980's. I architected the Racing Post site in the 90's as part of my journey up there over the years. Franking form using the web was something I invented. Much to my disappointment, I originally offered this to the NZ racing industry in 1993 but they weren't interested as they "didn't think their customers would embrace the internet for betting".

I like to throw the odd horse out (publicly, so no where to hide) before it becomes a good horse for fun. Can't have black type form before the call. My list includes Frankel (monitored) before he raced, Camelot, Snow Fairy (monitored her for two years), Authorised (monitored), Shamardal and Long Run (monitored) for a bit of fun in the jumping World. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it's fun trying to predict it. 

This latest filly is very smart and judging from your response post to my initial post you weren't sure she was up to group one class (I did otherwise I wouldn't have labelled it). Put one up on the slab and we'll see how well you know the UK form. It's not a matter of reporting it, but more predicting it.

P4P...one obscure track I would add for fun would be Chester. An interesting type of horse comes post racing successfully there...ingenuine horses get their acts together there...probably something to do with the turning track nature of it. As we are international, you have to include a few of the Irish tracks and the Frogs would throw the odd one into the mix.

Agree re Chester Vase into Epsom form for the colts but only because of that weird home turn and short straight, it must be the shortest straight in the UK

BerriFruit I did a compare and contrast between the Dante & Musidora 

That colt was 1.4 seconds quicker, ten lengths !!! and he has got a nice light Epsom type action

You haven’t convinced me about Emily Upjohn, I think she’s a Leger horse … reminds me of Dunfermline …but not quite as good….she’s not brilliant enough and she’s too heavy, unless it’s a weak year for fillies  

Pace of the races were completely different with alternative days having slightly different track surfaces. I know what you mean re stride, but that is not what the data is telling us. She's probably top class but as we all know Epsom's camber and run in from the corner throws the gauntlet onto the ground. She was only a novice winner when I called her out to watch her. The rest is up to the lap of the gods.

Referring to Dunfermline is showing our age although when she raced Northern dancer was still a seed in most horse's genetics. Things have changed since then.

One or two observations from Wednesday's racing.

Dettori and some of the other jockeys said the ground rode a lot slower than the original Good description. They had a shower just before racing on top of well-watered ground. The Musidora was run 2.46 seconds above Standard suggesting ground on the slow side of Good. 

To be fair, Dettori said the ground wasn't helping the filly and she's be better on a sounder surface and he could well be right. As to whether she'll "handle" Epsom, that falls into two categories - handling the track and handling the preliminaries. York on Wednesday was quiet, Epsom on Oaks day will be very different. Even with the red hood she showed clear signs of wanting to take off with Frankie both before and in the early stages of the race and she could "boil over" before the Oaks.

If the rain comes, I'd rather be on the stable companion NASHWA whose dam was really effective on soft and heavy turf. In any case, 5/4 is short enough - TUESDAY, the Aidan O'Brien runner, looks to be the more attractive punting option. He also brings classic form to th table.

Former poster, "Red Rum" cut his eyeteeth on northern hempishere racing and IMO is the best UK analyst, tipping out more than his share of winners, including 25 to 1, and 40 to 1 winners at Cheltenham. It's a shame he doesn't post anymore.