RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Roger Sugrue

$300 million.........down the toilet

So I'm reading the front page of today's TDN.....where they've sliced and diced the Five Major Yearling Sales

and $590 million of sales compares with $500 million last year.....+4% horses were sold this year

so of the $500 million last year I'm thinking $300 million were colts and say $200 million were fillies

and of the $300 million of colts..( I'm thinking 500 colts had stallion aspirations, at least ) ........not ONE has put their hand up to be worthy of a position on a Major Stud Stallion Roster

arguably Daumier ( Blue Diamond) is the only 2yo colt and he's a homebred ( by Darley's recently banished, Epaulette)

12 weeks of Bog tracks and vast superiority of Coolangatta, Fireburn and Extreme Flight have blown the colts out of the water

not expecting much to come out of Queensland....so I suppose all eyes will be on the San Dimenico into the Golden Rose into the Coolmore......and I'm sure Coolangatta will be primed for them as well

probably wasn't a good time to be in a Colts syndicate....although it didn't stop them spending up again in the past few months 

not sure that there will be an analytical story on this by the TDN or the ANZ because it doesn't quite suit their narrative   

anyway.....happy to be proved wrong....will be interesting watching the next 6 months

Zoustar and The Autumn Sun's two year old form came during the Queensland Winter Carnival. Russian Revolution won a couple of non descript races as a two-year-old so perhaps all is not lost. And of course IAI had no real juvenile form.

I take your point though. As Vincent O'Brien used to say unless you're producing 2/3 decent sires each year, their model didn't work.

As for TDNZ not reporting reality, I guess it's the studs that pay their bills and salaries.

yeah ...you're correct re those stallions....Autumn Suns first start was about Anzac Day wasn't it.......

I forgot about Best of Bordeaux....he looks an absolute belter....picture in todays Socials

was just a tongue in cheek ramble  and will probably be proven wrong........I got a bit bored.......... but I do see 2yo colts now turning up as geldings at  yesterdays Rosehill trials.....destined for Hong Kong if they win qualifying criteria

Aussie breeding and racing.....always interesting

Sounds about right.

I'd throw Jacquinot, Lofty Strike and Magic into the mix.

It sure is. Who would have thought all those years ago when we digested all the big stallion deals Sangster, Calmuet etc were doing, that they'd be eventually be done on our doorstep.

poor Lofty......what will happen to him.....the Vets won't have a bar of him......hopefully maturity will sort out his gait issues before the new season....they were thinking Sydney with more sympathetic Vets !

Magic , typical of the Sydney colts kept hitting Bog tracks as did Jacquinot in the Slipper - not sure where a son of Rubick would fit in with the Big Studs

I would say on this day last year Henry Field had locked-in those three ( then) 2yo colts....who head off to work at Newgate in 4 months time.........whereas today seems  there are no                      2 yos locked in....just a few very promising types

So it will be all go from mid August - mid November and as usual most interesting

just off topic I'm looking forward to the Foxton / Paddy Busuttin graduate , Tony Sears, colt Steady Ready in the early ( Queensland)  Black Type 2yo sprints  in a few weeks time  - he looked "unbelievable" in his win last month and if he can win some Stakes races and get to Stud would be great to have a son of Better Than Ready to perpetuate the More Than Ready sireline

nothings ever dull in Aussie Racing and Breeding

the Heavy Hitters are obviously following this thread

clearly they agree with me...............they can all see that the cupboard is looking bare

so overnight ........ Coolmore have blown the others away in purchasing into Best of Bordeaux

13 hours ago, Roger Sugrue said:

poor Lofty......what will happen to him.....the Vets won't have a bar of him......hopefully maturity will sort out his gait issues before the new season....they were thinking Sydney with more sympathetic Vets !

Magic , typical of the Sydney colts kept hitting Bog tracks as did Jacquinot in the Slipper - not sure where a son of Rubick would fit in with the Big Studs

I would say on this day last year Henry Field had locked-in those three ( then) 2yo colts....who head off to work at Newgate in 4 months time.........whereas today seems  there are no                      2 yos locked in....just a few very promising types

So it will be all go from mid August - mid November and as usual most interesting

just off topic I'm looking forward to the Foxton / Paddy Busuttin graduate , Tony Sears, colt Steady Ready in the early ( Queensland)  Black Type 2yo sprints  in a few weeks time  - he looked "unbelievable" in his win last month and if he can win some Stakes races and get to Stud would be great to have a son of Better Than Ready to perpetuate the More Than Ready sireline

nothings ever dull in Aussie Racing and Breeding

Steady Ready looks the goods alright, he was pretty impressive , He has some pretty close up line breeding to 3/4 Brother and sister in More than Ready(Sireline) and Becky's Ransom (Damline) at 3x3 , tracing on the bottom line to LaTroienne .

well I'm fascinated by that MR.....I presume you are thinking Derby and lead up Blacktype 3yo races - Spring Champion etc

anyway the fireworks are about to begin......you would think there would be a couple of dozen Studs who have no idea where their Stallion replenishment will come from and there is about a 3 month window, commencing now,  where fortunes will be made or lost

To observe how Widden swooped and secured the hitherto "orphans" Rebel Dane and Gold Standard ( unwanted at the beginning of this year) reaffirms that presently the "cupboard is bare"

Desperately need 3 months of good weather so these 3yo colts can have a fair crack 

I see my 2 picks -  Jacquinot had a quiet jumpout last week and Seajardan not sighted yet

Just with Sejardan: I wonder how he'll be received by the big stallion players being a son of Sebring?

Interested to see how Semilion runs today. Money would suggest he should be around it. Once again, by a sire who isn't a heavy hitter, however his female family is mouth watering.

Well MR.........No doubt that it is one hell of a battle to establish a Sire Line

What Written Tycoon has done is truly remarkable..........and I Am Invincible seems to be on a similar trajectory ( both I would suggest were, at the commencement of their stud careers,  longshots to succeed)

The More Than Ready / Sebring line has a certain momentum at the moment.......Gold Standard ( who was a hard hitting masculine colt, now at Widden) has Sheeza Belter ready to go

Better Than Ready - a tremendous season ......with a potential Group winning colt Steady Ready ready to go and Sebring has 2 potential Spring Group 1 stars IMO Sejardan and Fangirl

the stars may be about to align

You make a valid point, colts from less than the real fashionable sire lines, and no Group 1 wins next to their name, can become breed shapers.

I see Gary Portelli has Fireburn and Sejardan on a collision course in the RTR and TGR.

Interested in how Shalatan