RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MissJools

Where are the Group 1 Mares?

There are only 6 entries in this weekend's Group 1 Te Aroha Breeders Stakes, being raced at Te Rapa. And, they are: 

: Coventina Bay, Two Illicit, Imperatriz, Mai Tai, Dragon Queen, One Dream One Soul.  Entries have been left open.  Where have our Group 1 Mares gone?  Will be interesting if this race can keep it's Group 1 status in 2023.

I did notice that myself. If all group races were assessed based on this year's fields we would hardly have a group one race next year. It is obvious that the problem isn't solely stakes. The stake is perfectly ok for this race. I notice a rating 74 for $50,000 at HB with only 8 noms, some of them multiple nominators.

Bit of a bugger for this industry's esteemed leaders. They thought, sell off half the tracks, build some AWTs and increase stakes and everything would come right. Turns out that wasn't really the problem at all. Not sure if they have a plan B.

31 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I don't think I'd have any more or less in work whether or not stakes were double or half what they are now. Better regularly consistent track surfaces, a proper handicapping system and much better programming might make a difference though.

I don't think NZTR has anyone capable of organising programming. All they want to do is close down tracks, get rid of small trainers and discourage anyone from showing any innovation.

On the brighter side though (I sometimes try to be positive) this weekend sees Southland's only 2yo race of the season. They have already had their two 3yo races for the season. Exciting times, who says there isn't a logical pattern to everything.

23 minutes ago, Roger Sugrue said:

Avantage and Melody Belle papered over the cracks for last few seasons dominating our G 1 racing  ......take them away.... leaves a large void

I agree totally. Without them many of these races would have been ordinary for the last few years.

I thought Levante was going for this race. Doesn't appear to have nominated. Perhaps that scared off a few other contenders.

51 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I don't think NZTR has anyone capable of organising programming. All they want to do is close down tracks, get rid of small trainers and discourage anyone from showing any innovation.

Organising programming? They couldn't organise a root in a brothel. There was an R74 1600 programmed for Otaki on Thursday which was deleted yesterday due to poor nominations. I nearly fell over this morning when I was told they didn't get a single nominations for that race. That's right, zero, zippo, nil, none How could you get the programming that wrong?

8 hours ago, Leggy said:

Organising programming? They couldn't organise a root in a brothel. There was an R74 1600 programmed for Otaki on Thursday which was deleted yesterday due to poor nominations. I nearly fell over this morning when I was told they didn't get a single nominations for that race. That's right, zero, zippo, nil, none How could you get the programming that wrong?

Have faith, L....the AWT at Awapuni will sort out all the problems.

15 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I agree totally. Without them many of these races would have been ordinary for the last few years.

I thought Levante was going for this race. Doesn't appear to have nominated. Perhaps that scared off a few other contenders.

Levante was in the race, but has been scratched due to a minor leg issue. 

Levante out of Breeders’ Stakes (loveracing.nz)

17 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I did notice that myself. If all group races were assessed based on this year's fields we would hardly have a group one race next year. It is obvious that the problem isn't solely stakes. The stake is perfectly ok for this race. I notice a rating 74 for $50,000 at HB with only 8 noms, some of them multiple nominators.

Bit of a bugger for this industry's esteemed leaders. They thought, sell off half the tracks, build some AWTs and increase stakes and everything would come right. Turns out that wasn't really the problem at all. Not sure if they have a plan B.

Guarantee they don’t WD……🙄

15 hours ago, Leggy said:

Look at the rating 65's one last week at Wanganui one tomorrow at Otaki then one at Woodville next Tuesday.... then no 2000m or more in the CD since the last Trentham meeting...unless you run in a highweight...you are right leggy they would not know the postman was up them until he blew his bloody whistle...its a shambles.

Perhaps they need to look at the programming of this race. Group 2 and 3 races for mares earlier in the season seem to get bigger fields. You used to get a pretty big field of mares trying to get a Group 1 win or placing but not so much the last few years.

2 hours ago, poundforpound said:

But the new RIB / RIU is costing the industry 14 million per annum….surely things are getting better :) 

Is it costing the industry? Or, vulnerable communities and taxpayers who are funding it through pokies?

19 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I imagine if that money wasn't funding the RIU it would be used elsewhere in the industry.

True. Racing is an authorised purpose including stakes. but if the mayor of Auckland decided to ban pokies in that district it would have a big impact on the damage overall. Not that the huge increases in funding to the RIB seem to have improved the integrity of NZ racing sufficiently to have any impact on improving the perception of the racing product and thus punter confidence and resulting revenue.

20 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Look at the rating 65's one last week at Wanganui one tomorrow at Otaki then one at Woodville next Tuesday.... then no 2000m or more in the CD since the last Trentham meeting...unless you run in a highweight...you are right leggy they would not know the postman was up them until he blew his bloody whistle...its a shambles.

What should also be of concern in the CD is the number of races recently with less than 8 starters - 4 of 8 today! 

Too many racedays?? Poor programming?? 

27 minutes ago, Contentious said:

What should also be of concern in the CD is the number of races recently with less than 8 starters - 4 of 8 today! 

Too many racedays?? Poor programming?? 

Yes, the CD appears to have far too many meetings. They have lots of small fields.