RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Roger Sugrue

Hitotsu.....all the way from Pahiatua

Hitotsu........Arguably the Superior Australasian Classical Colt of my lifetime.......would that be right ?

Dear old Kem Keene from Pahiatua will be looking down from above with his grimaced face muttering something like..."I told you so "

It looks like he used a West Derby ( Levin I think) mare Heirship ( by Bally Royal) to visit Brauner and produce a filly Brauner Flight

who remembers Brauner ??.......anyway my friend was at Hastings the day she won her only race and I see D Walsh rode her in her last start

Kem sent Brauner Flight to Musical Phantasy to get Shekanwyn......trained at Woodville from memory ...a feisty  on-pace Christmas 2yo who won two races before midfield in the Matamata Breeders....and not doing much after that

Kem sent Shekanwyn down the road to Ardsley ( Masterton) to Prince Salieri

Prince Salieri was a commercial failure but I must say I loved him, a mid size beautifully balanced chestnut who danced in the Parade when I saw him

This is where it gets interesting because the mating should have produced a horse which didn't run past 1200 metres....but in hindsight She's a Meanie finished her racing career in the top few horses in the Country......that Avondale Cup was the Premier 2200m race in the country and she was just pipped by Giovanna in the WFA 2000m at Te Rapa

Not sure when Kem sold the filly who became She's A Meanie but wasn't she trained at Avondale

anyway looks like she was sold to Australia directly after racing in NZ

She's A Meanie produced that serious sprinter / stallion  Love Conquers All and when visiting Redoute's produced the mare Love is Fickle

and in turn when Love is Fickle visited Maurice.....Hitotsu is the result

Ciaron Maher credits Hitotsu's superiority to his heart and lung capacity

I suppose the breeding guru's from the Hunter Valley will be lauding the Maurice / Redoute's cross

somehow I think the answer lies somewhere in the genetic / physical make up of She's A Meanie......a mare who was bred to run 1200 m but ended up amongst our premier stayers

K K knew his professional stuff indeed and a fine gentleman. Thank you for this memory  to him, She's a Meanie.. May I use your contributions in my upcoming blog, subject Hitotso. ?

I thought when Arrowfield introduced Maurice, he would be the sire we would come to know. You are right its not the 'x' , its the Princequillo daughters, back on papyrus. Huge.

Cheers, J. 

Had a friend at the time close to the Milich stable, so we followed She's a Meanie through the grades.

Trivia question - who rode her in the Group 1 Manawatu Sires Produce in 1998? Clue - you are not allowed to ask any staff at NZ Bloodstock, as he has probably already claimed credit to anyone who will listen for his truly pivotal role in the ancestry of Hitotsu .

What a great game that a mare with such a humble (absolutely no disrespect to Ken) pedigree and background, should end up being bred to royalty going to Redoute's Choice in his prime. Respect to Paul for his training, and Ken for his producing the mare.