RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Stick1

Te Akau Arrive In Style

Good to see the Te Akau team arrive in style to the Awapuni races today. But I suppose you can afford to when you add on 10k to every yearling purchased at the recent sales. Good luck Mark on your first day back at the helm today.

So how is that unfair...dont you think their results are worth something??? So you don't value their knowledge and track record as worth anything...and please prove they add 10K on every purchase if you can.Sounds like sour grapes to me as this is only your 2nd post here.

I have not said it was unfair. It is a fact, if you would like to go to the Te Akau website it is unmistakably transparent. It is certainly not sour grapes on my behalf as you infer. But it has made me look at other trainers offerings this year. I very much admire the Te Akau business model and especially the training feats of one Jamie Richards.

It says the following...so where is it stated 10K per horse???This includes research and sales’ expenses at cost, and also full veterinary/x-ray examinations pre sale.  There is a small additional cost for your share of transport to Te Akau Stud post sale, insurance and Karaka Million/NZB Pearl Series’ (fillies only) entries.

19 minutes ago, Stick1 said:

I have not said it was unfair. It is a fact, if you would like to go to the Te Akau website it is unmistakably transparent. It is certainly not sour grapes on my behalf as you infer. But it has made me look at other trainers offerings this year. I very much admire the Te Akau business model and especially the training feats of one Jamie Richards.

I am not buying shares in any this year but if I was I would rather go with TA with a proven track record... still no guarantees of success but I personally think there is a better chance of success with a proven tack record than many others.

8 hours ago, Stick1 said:

Good to see the Te Akau team arrive in style to the Awapuni races today. But I suppose you can afford to when you add on 10k to every yearling purchased at the recent sales. Good luck Mark on your first day back at the helm today.

Not to mention paying overs in the first place, the buyers commission from certain vendors,  monthly management  fees and agistment for all those horses, generous cut of sales / commissions, generous staff shout deductions from owners horse stakes etc, etc.

I was surprised how embarrassingly plain the helicopter looked in Army Grey actually. lol.

8 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

so where is it stated 10K per horse???

Lot 7: bought for $160k, 10% share costs $17k.

Lot 32: $200k, $21k.

Lot 62: $120k, $13k.

Lot 74: $40k, $5k.

Lot 77: $125k, $13.5k

Lot 89: $100k, $11k.

Lot 96: $260k, $27k.

Literally every lot they bought in the first 100 and for which they still have shares available is being syndicated for a total price of $10k more than they paid.

Nobody said it was unfair, nobody said it was wrong. Somebody just said that - when racing is supposedly dying and stakes are terrible and every other trainer is having to give up the game or leave the country - seeing the bigwigs of one of the biggest outfits in the land arrive by chopper was interesting.

In fact, they didn't even say it was interesting; they said it was "Good to see".

And yet you felt the need to come diving to Te Akau's defence for some reason, even though they weren't being attacked at all. AND you did so by going "This is only your second post; you're probably just here to stir up trouble because you're jealous", which looks a whole lot like playing the man and not the ball (something you otherwise say you don't want to see here).

Meanwhile, Team Te Akau are back on the chopper with a couple of Group trophies to try to cram into one of their many cabinets, not giving a single flying fuck what "Stick" and "Scooby" think of them. And I'm here wondering why Scooby feels such a strong need to defend Te Akau from criticism that he even defends them from non-criticism.

Ok Chikn...as you hide behind your nom de plume and have a go at me...I think they do a bloody lot of good for the industry...JMO...they support the sales 90% of their purchases are from NZ sales...yes they get the agistment and spin offs from what they do, but because it is so we ll managed from they day the horses are bought that is why they get so much success...they seem to be very good to the people who work for them, they get huge results, and yes they do charge for their knowledge. 

But if it is so bad why do so many want to be involved, I know at least 20 people with shares who say the experience with them is second to none, and yes I am sure some who dont get a winner are somewhat miffed to. So yes I do think they are good for racing, and I thought in my opinion he/ she or whoever was having another dig at them again my opinion...So I never come diving to TA's defence I said my piece as I thought the poster was having a dig...and that is my right as its my house ...or am I missing something...nobody forces anyone to be a part of TA but hell there a tons flocking to do so...something cant be too bad there and many seem very happy to continue on the TA experience.....anyway this is just my opinion..so chikn maybe you are man or woman enough to put your name to the pot shots at me...everyone knows who I am.

I do happen to like what TA does for racing and breeding here...and will continue to have my say when I want to...I see you are happy to take my generosity with the comps we run and happy to take potshots at the person paying to keep the lights on here...

10 hours ago, fermoy said:

Not to mention paying overs in the first place, the buyers commission from certain vendors,  monthly management  fees and agistment for all those horses, generous cut of sales / commissions, generous staff shout deductions from owners horse stakes etc, etc.

I was surprised how embarrassingly plain the helicopter looked in Army Grey actually. lol.

So where is the proof of the buyers commissions from certain vendors??? Agistment for the horses what need to be paid wherever they went, sales commissions are given as an unwritten handshake agreement as has always been done normally 10% of sales proceeds,I am sure if there is a staff shout, owners would be agreeable to this or they would not do it....JMO.

Literally every lot they bought in the first 100 and for which they still have shares available is being syndicated for a total price of $10k more than they paid.

So Chikn have you had a horse fully xrayed and scoped recently ...do you actually know what it costs...so just to be clear to compare apples to apples the 10K is not TA's but most of it I would think goes to vets and the transport company...again JMO.

I have zero problem with Te Akau as a whole. They seem to pursue excellence in every facet of the game and get the results which that deserves. So well done to them.

I think they could maybe do better than chucking a flat "expertise surcharge" on each lot (it's a bit harsh that it's a 20% surcharge on a $40k lot and a 2% surcharge on a $400k lot), but then again they're listing their buys on their site as the sale goes on so they can't wait until the end and go "We've bought 70 horses, we need to recoup $x for expenses, so let's add $x divided by 70 to each lot". So it's fair enough I guess.

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

I said my piece as I thought the poster was having a dig...and that is my right as its my house

I DO have a problem with this. Is this site for open and factual discourse about the game we love, or is it a site for arseholes to launch personal attacks and have running arguments with one another which drag every thread off topic? Or is it a hypocritical hybrid of the two, where the normal people have to "play the ball and not the man" while you get to "play the man and not the ball" because it's "your house"?

I would think, as the man of the house, you'd want to set the standards by example rather than give yourself free license to "have a go" at people (for only having a few posts or using a nom de plume) when you're incapable of countering their facts.

By the way, will there be any mea culpa from you for this, or nah?

21 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

and please prove they add 10K on every purchase if you can.

Well done for holding someone to account for the things they post. Now surely you're man enough to acknowledge they were right. Right?

How can anyone object to Te Akau arriving on a chopper? Time is money, the drive from Matamata don't take 5 minutes, and Air NZ would be more expensive for the group. Plus a change in the training group warrants time at base. As for the sales horses, well the time spent on visiting studs to view, reading the bible books, plus vet fees, how could they operate without additional costs?  One is not forced to buy Te Akau products, you can buy your own choices, but for the expertise of the Te Akau group expect some additional costs. User pays is for all products and services.

2 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

I have zero problem with Te Akau as a whole. They seem to pursue excellence in every facet of the game and get the results which that deserves. So well done to them.

I think they could maybe do better than chucking a flat "expertise surcharge" on each lot (it's a bit harsh that it's a 20% surcharge on a $40k lot and a 2% surcharge on a $400k lot), but then again they're listing their buys on their site as the sale goes on so they can't wait until the end and go "We've bought 70 horses, we need to recoup $x for expenses, so let's add $x divided by 70 to each lot". So it's fair enough I guess.

I DO have a problem with this. Is this site for open and factual discourse about the game we love, or is it a site for arseholes to launch personal attacks and have running arguments with one another which drag every thread off topic? Or is it a hypocritical hybrid of the two, where the normal people have to "play the ball and not the man" while you get to "play the man and not the ball" because it's "your house"?

I would think, as the man of the house, you'd want to set the standards by example rather than give yourself free license to "have a go" at people (for only having a few posts or using a nom de plume) when you're incapable of countering their facts.

By the way, will there be any mea culpa from you for this, or nah?

Well done for holding someone to account for the things they post. Now surely you're man enough to acknowledge they were right. Right?

So just to reply to you for a final time...

Firstly dont like the fees charged dont buy a TA horse simple...secondly the 10K is not the fee TA takes most would be vet and transport fess for the X-rays and transport to TA.

You seem quite happy to enter the comps, to use my site which I maintain at my cost ..for everyone to enjoy but you seem to want to attack me for my views on a thread started for no reason other than to take a dig at TA...so I had my say will continue to have my say and will continue as long as I pay the bills here to run the site as I see fit...you can like it or lump it.

I will continue to have a go as you say at anyone about anything I happen to think is not right...that is MY right not only as owner here but as a person who has an opinion...once again I make no apologies for that either.

I did counter the facts as the facts you and your mate quoted were wrong...so no need to acknowledge anything except that you are an ungrateful.......enjoy the rest of your Sunday I know I will.

On 4/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, scooby3051 said:

So how is that unfair...dont you think their results are worth something??? So you don't value their knowledge and track record as worth anything...and please prove they add 10K on every purchase if you can.Sounds like sour grapes to me as this is only your 2nd post here.

I would bet every horse racing that day from the stable their owners would have paid for that luxury  in travel costs. They even charge a fee per horse to wash the colours used but they would have clean ones for each horse not. Ask poor David it any of his syndicate owners have any of the trophies won as he has  got a good system going you pay and I gain. Yes the results speak for themselves as it is a numbers game and there are plenty that don't get there too.

5 minutes ago, Crow said:

I would bet every horse racing that day from the stable their owners would have paid for that luxury  in travel costs. They even charge a fee per horse to wash the colours used but they would have clean ones for each horse not. Ask poor David it any of his syndicate owners have any of the trophies won as he has  got a good system going you pay and I gain. Yes the results speak for themselves as it is a numbers game and there are plenty that don't get there too.

Nobody forces anyone to take part...you sound like you wouldn't so thats your choice...as it is to all the people who do join in its their own choice....its easy to sit on the side lines and knock people if you think they are doing so wrong get out and have a go yourself instead of taking potshots from the sidelines. And NO I do not have any allegiance or association with TA other than knowing David Ellis...but I just think they cop a lot of flack most of it just jealousy...IMHO.

13 minutes ago, Crow said:

It is a fabrication that Te Akau charge to wash colours.

I don't really want to get involved with this, but I just wanted to say Scooby is doing a great job providing us with this forum. It takes a bit of effort and expense and he doesn't get a lot of thanks. 

No one is forced to join up with Te Akau, but lots of people seem to want to. Its a business like any other, and much of what they do is marketing, which they do pretty well. Its like buying a car, or any other product, you are paying a certain amount purely for the brand.

I look at some of these 2yo races with ten starters, four of them Te Akau: others think it is boring with one stable dominating, I think it would be a six horse field without them.

They are about the only body showing any innovation in our industry at the moment so we are lucky to have them. Just think what it would be like without some of their horses. I know they didn't own Melody Belle, but Jamie trained it. If she wasn't there just imagine who would have won all those group races. Most of them would have been downgraded to Listed by now.

We need to get over this tall poppy syndrome. If it wasn't for the tall poppies there would hardly be any poppies at all.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

We need to get over this tall poppy syndrome. If it wasn't for the tall poppies there would hardly be any poppies at all.

Its the same with Purdon/All Stars and M Pitman  stable. All well and good to bag them but where would racing be without their drive/expertise. Just saying. 

BTW how lucky are we to have a forum to have a constructive say about all things racing which costs us nothing. I get the feeling a few ungratefuls have not thought this through very well

Yeah but mate thats life unfortunately...there are very many good people in here that are decent and appreciative of the work we all try to do to keep this running...but there are a few who just take things for granted enjoy the free site and the free comps and still want to have a dig at me.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:47 PM, Stick1 said:

I do not know what the problem is with using a Helicopter.

I can remember One day at Trentham  Michael Walker arriving by chopper.

Peter Ryan using his fixed wing plane to fly jockeys to race meetings.

I thought I would put my 2 cents worth in about Te Akau. I am what I would consider an enthusiastic amateur, my first racing experience was with Brian Smith in Cambridge, we had a mare that did well and ended racing at Randwick where she bled. Myself and another syndicate owner brought the other shares and we bred from her, selling some and racing some, with average success I would say.

Over the years I have been involved with a number of trainers and racing partnerships again with average success. The communication from most of these trainers was mostly poor at best and down from there, as an owner you want as much as you can get.

Even a blind man can see the success surrounding Te Akau so I knocked on their door a few years ago. I have been fortunate enough to have a share in a group winning horse, isn't that what we all dream of? Their communication is excellent, questions of the principals and trainers are always answered. Yes it may cost more than the other trainers but don't the results speak for themselves.

They run a very successful business and work very hard to achieve that, I think enjoying and acknowledging their achievements is good for this great industry.